Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I apologize if this question has already been answered. I'm in the process of putting hydraulic assist steering on my '82 blazer. I bought a hydraulic ram from Surplus Center (2" bore x 8" stroke), and I just finished drilling and tapping my steering box to 1/4" NPT. My question is, what size hydraulic hose should I run? I was thinking of just sticking with 1/4" hose, but a friend is using 3/8" on his Jeep and thought I should go with 1/2". Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I run 1/4" hose on my hydro assist and it is working fine. If your ports are 1/4 npt, then that will be a bottle neck anyhow, regarless of how large a hose you put on after it. You may also find it difficult to find a hydro shop that has fittings a different size than the hose you use, it you are useing AN -4 or JIC 1/4 (the same size I believe) than they most likely will only have them for 1/4 hose. Same with JIC 3/8 and 1/2. Also you should probably go with a 3 wire hose, 2 wire will handle the pressure, but 3 wire holds up a lot better in the environments we place or vehichles in.

Later,
Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts