Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
24,685 Posts
From a Fab standpoint, I'd think the belt method would be simpler. Alignment, engagement/disengagement, bracketry, etc.

As for the pump pulley, I think I'd look for something off-the-shelf versus fabbing a pulley.

Peace,
Paul

· Registered
24,685 Posts
With a diesel, why would one want to run something electric when the engine requires either no electricity, or very little? Isn't that one of the advantages of the diesel?

Also, if Merv expects to need ten horsepower to drive his pump, that would be one big motor to drive the pump-in that case, an electric winch would begin to be more attractive.

Didn't mean to flame you Mike.
Peace,
Paul

· Registered
24,685 Posts
If I can get out of meetings and dealing with regulatory agencies (the city was in today to inspect wastewater), I might actually have a chance to work on your seat! Fortunately, the injury rate is far lower than in years past!

With respect to the multi-groove pulleys, the easy route (albeit potentially more expensive) is to visit one's industrial power transmission shop. They can find the shaft diameter, offset, number of grooves, depth/contour of the grooves, etc. much more easily than we can use the Hollander interchange manuals to find what we are looking for.

As my "Professional" involvement in such engineering feats grows, the time I have to paw around boneyards has become non-existent (I have a Rangie being delivered this evening with electrical problems and oil leaks-can you say retirement!). Given the premium being placed on my time due to competing interests, it is more important to remember we are trying to drain a swamp, not conduct meaningless engineering exercises.

The days of my being able to cobble things together and then fine tune later are gone. It has to be either right the first time, or darned close.

Peace,
Paul

· Registered
24,685 Posts
Deranged might have the ticket with the Gilmer belt, if you can stand the noise.

I was thinking about the sheave issue last evening. If Merv is only running ten horsepower, I wonder if an air conditioning compressor isn't about the same drag on the engine and there is little issue with belting there. Has a single Vee belt been tried?Also, if one were to employ an A/C clutch, you could control the engagement to the pump allowing for the horsepower to drive the wheels, rather than pump hydraulic fluid. Yes, this would require those electrons again, and we know how folks east of NYC and west of Paris feel about the existence of electrons:p

As for the mounting of the pump in-line with the engine, I suspect that Merv intends to use this truck in rugged conditions. Given this, I think it is advisable to mount a piece of recovery-related equipment where it is less likely to be fouled-and mounting should be far easier.

Great discussion!:flipoff2:

PEace,
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.