Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know this topic is not dear to your hearts, but I do want to get some opinions on this.

Now: I got a cross series 40 pump running on a dog clutch on the back of the transfer case. (same place as puff's super slow poser colored hunk of crawler box). Works unreal, and means that the super slow milemarker can now keep up with, and beat most electric winches. However, to do this high speed winching, I gotta run the gearbox in 4th gear, which means I cannot drive the wheels and winch at the same time. If I put it in 1st gear, the winch is running way too slow.

Future:
I want to run my pump from the engine. It's taking about 10 HP to run this pump at full pull, which is too much for a single V belt.

Option 1: I'm looking at mouting the pump in line with the crank shaft, and putting using the dog clutch to on-off it. I'm thinking of fabbing a mounting bracket to hold the pump/clutch in line with the crank, and having a drive shaft that I can bold to the front of the engine pully.

Option 2: I get a new engine pully custom made with extra twin V pully's on it. Then I mount the pump much as an alternator or whatever and get a twin pully machined up for it. twin V's should cater for 10 hp (or damn nearly!).

Thoughts?

Anyone done this before?

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul's got it.

Mike: Good in theory, but so far I've kept everything electric free. I've even eliminated the electric solenoids on the winch plumbing, and have a mechanical blow off valve on the air compressor. No f'kn electics. But I digress.

Paul, The on-off bit is easy, as I'd use the dog clutch I have now. I'ts the alignment that's a pig.

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Thinking guys. I'll go and have another look at the cross manufacturing site as they may have a higher volume pump. Never thought of that.

On the direct drive, I've already got a got clutch (mechanical) that can engage or disengage drive to the pump, so I'm not worried about loosing the 10hp or so when regular driving. It's the one that GBR sells.

Would one of those funny crank bolts that takes the pin with a cross pin thingy's really be able for this much power?

Merv.

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Allow me the honors:

Welcome newbie :flipoff2:

Seriously, pictures would be super, especially of the pully. Was it a custom made, or is it a standard LR part?

Also, What GPM / PSI do you get?

Also, how fast is it? as compared to an 8274 for example, under "full" load?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.