Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m setting up full hydraulic steering on my truck. I have all the parts already. My question is how do I run my pressure line an return line on the power steering pump? I have a big block Chevy stock pump. I believe it’s the “P” siginaw pump. Can I just get a line made that goes form the pressure outline on the pump to the pressure spot on the orbital valve? Do I need to drill an tap anything for the return line? An advice I would appreciate.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Pressure line goes from pump to orbital. Return line goes from orbital to cooler than to reservoir. Then the two labeled other ports on the orbital go to the ram left and right. Orbital should be labeled for everything mentioned. Make sure that pump is enough for that steering setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information my orbital valve is labeled so I know which lines to run. Another question is. how much pressure is in the return line an cooler? CAn I just use fuel line an hose clamps for that line or do I need a high pressure hose like all the others? Thanks

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Depends on how much restriction you have on it.
If you use low pressure hose, I would go up 2 sizes (ie: if pressure is 1/4", use 3/8" for the return. If pressure is 3/8, I would go up to to 9/16" for the return). Might get power steering return hose, it may handle the heat better than fuel hose and is similar in price.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. One other question could I run my return line to the Stock return spot on he power steering pump? I have a big block Chevy siginaw pump. The stock return line on the back of the pump is a small about 1/4 inch metal line. On my original steering I just had the return line hose clamped to it. Do I need to block that off an possibly drill an tap an new bigger spot for the new return from the orbital? I will be adding an additional reservoir off the pump also. Thanks for any info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts