Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a eight inch cylinder from a guy who had it on a Chevy, all the kits I've looked at for a 84 CJ say they come with a eight inch . I measured the full swing from one point on the tie rod to the stationary spot on the axle it was just over six inches. Is the 8 inch cylinder going to work, or will it be to long?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The 8" cylinder is for attaching to the tie rod at the axle centerline. If you have your tie rod above your axle with high steer then a 6" ram is best. You can use the 8" but you are going to have to open it up and put some shims inside so it limits the travel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of shims would you use, not to damage the rod or cylinder wall?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You can use the 8" but you are going to have to open it up and put some shims inside so it limits the travel.
I disagree... your steering box (hydro assist right?) will dump excess pressure internally when it hits its internal stop. It will not over-ram the cylinder. Might be different for full hydro... not sure.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The throw of the ram depends on how much throw is in the existing steering setup, and how much you want to use.

How the following applies to your CJ, I have no idea. I have an 8" ram on a TJ with stock front axle configuration (Dana 30) and it uses the whole ram lock to lock. Seems to fit just about right. I have read that some axles required the 6" stroke.

The stock box or pump will dump pressure when it is on the steering stops, or at least mine does. I try not to push against them.

Barry

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I disagree... your steering box (hydro assist right?) will dump excess pressure internally when it hits its internal stop. It will not over-ram the cylinder. Might be different for full hydro... not sure.
Not true. Mine pushes VERY hard one the box hits internally or the axle hits the steering stops. Internally stop the ram, I am sending mine in to be done.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts