Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished installing a PSC hydro assist on my rig. I mounted the fixed end of the ram to the top of the front diff on the axle housing, and the moving end on the tie rod. Everything is working good except one thing. The ram rotates the mount on the tie rod straight up when in use. This causes a clearance issue with the frame rail.

The only thing I can figure is that the jam nuts need to be tightened more. Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
We weld up the Jam nuts on every install.

We adjust the rod ends as shown to prevent the ram from moving and then we weld up the jam nuts

I find this pic confusing/misleading..

That pic shows the bodies of the TREs exactly the same orientation, and just the shanks rotated, which, I would think would do nothing, because the shank position is dictated by the steering arm.

What you need is that pic with the shanks/studs/whatever vertical, but the TRE bodies rotated in opposite directions.

Reading your directions, that pic comes into play when the tie rod is installed already in the steering arms, so, again, its the bodies, not the shanks that need to be rotated..

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I guess the pic could be clearer if the shanks were straight up and down. Point being that we set up the rod ends so they are maxed out (tie rod only) and then wed the jam nuts to keep it that way. This prevents the ram from rotating the rod when your turning left and right.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
There is no reason/need to weld the nuts. Get your ram working with the tierod not against it. Think similar to shock eyes. Rotation in line with travel and movement, and everything works perfectly.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I understand the need to have the ram as straight as possible to the tie rod but we still see the jam nuts coming loose so we weld them. Not everyone will see the nuts coming loose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I understand the need to have the ram as straight as possible to the tie rod but we still see the jam nuts coming loose so we weld them. Not everyone will see the nuts coming loose.
What is the point of useing orbital rod ends on the ram if people that buy your kit will mount it parralel to the tie rod allong with running the both bolts on the ram vertically.(if all that makes sense to you?)
I can see one going through tie rod ends much faster using the trail-gear method.

Welding jam nuts has sketchy written all over it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The tie rod and ram will move up and down as the steering arms go though their range of travel. I set up my rod ends (heims) crossed up to just handle the angles of steering and lock the jam nuts in place w/ red Loctite.
Yes, I stand corrected. Forgot about the knunkle rotation. They are heims but trail-gear calls them "rod ends". 4RnrRick's old runner in the other thread seems like the best rout IMHO.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I havent had a problem yet and I dont have heims on the ends of the ram. Just have bolts but they only move in the direction that the tie rod moves.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
"Spherical Rod End" is the complete proper name, "heim" is slang.
Wrong!!!! They were invented by someone named "Heim". That is what they were called.

Heim joints are not to be confused with the Heimlich maneuver. The Heimlich maneuver is what Heims wife does to him if he has been good!!!!

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Ok little rickey, have you come up with a way to prevent the ram from spinning the jam nuts and turning the rod ends? No matter how tight we set the jam nuts, the power of the ram works them loose.
And people wonder why TG gets bashed around here. Find me one post like the above from Brian or Big Mike, or any of the other fine vendors here. Shit like that makes me regret that I have ever spent any money with TG. :mad3:

·
Registered
454 Posts
And people wonder why TG gets bashed around here. Find me one post like the above from Brian or Big Mike, or any of the other fine vendors here. Shit like that makes me regret that I have ever spent any money with TG. :mad3:
That is harsh.

Post like this make me regret signing up to this here forum.

:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
That is harsh.

Post like this make me regret signing up to this here forum.

:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:
Do a search on Chris Geiger and get back to me in a couple days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts