Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a hydro assist mount on a low steer setup? If so, how are you mounting the ram to the housing and tie-rod?

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Hydro assist with push-pull or with low-crossover?

Either way, use a tierod clamp like you would for high crossover. Weld some braced brackets to the front diff "cover" and bolt your ram to it. There should be room to mount the ram above the tierod--your bracket will probably be welded really close to the centerline of the ring gear....and your ram will probably be at about the same elevation as your springs.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Sorry...forgot you were doing low crossover.

Brian Ellinger did that with Ftoy 044:

Stock arms, Hydro Assist behind the Chromo Tie Rod and below the springs. Little Shorty drag link attached mid way across the tie rod.

The car was flawless. Side hilled like no other Ftoy I've seen. And the steering is insane (for a Toy)

d

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
low x-over

The plan is to use a setup like FRORF buggy, but with a stock housing. It didn't look like I had enough room at the ring gear to clear the tie rod. I have seen a bunch with high steer and it is out of the way, but I'm not sure what location would be best for the low steer. I was thinking about mounting it up where the high steer guys put it, and making a taller bracket for the tie rod, but I'm afraid that will put too much force in the wrong directions and bend the tie-rod instead of help turn it.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
just mount right up against the leaf spring perch on the driver's side with the ram extending out towards the pumkin. I had to do that with mine even with high steer to give myself some crank pulley clearance.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Is there a reason for low steer? Other than saving a few bucks or using GM steering parts?
Just curious.
Compression. 5" from ride height with a 21" belly.

It does cause other issues though. Like everything in Ftoy is, its a compromise.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
just mount right up against the leaf spring perch on the driver's side with the ram extending out towards the pumkin. I had to do that with mine even with high steer to give myself some crank pulley clearance.
You reminded me of something!

The reason our ram is mounted the way it is, with the ram extending to the passengers side has to do with power. The box has a "weak" and "strong" side to it, as does the ram (extend is more powerful). We wanted as close to to balanced as possible. So the "weak" side of the box is paired to the "strong" side of the ram, and vice versa.

And yes, we have chassis 44.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts

The reason our ram is mounted the way it is, with the ram extending to the passengers side has to do with power. The box has a "weak" and "strong" side to it, as does the ram (extend is more powerful). We wanted as close to to balanced as possible. So the "weak" side of the box is paired to the "strong" side of the ram, and vice versa.

Wow I knew to mount mine like that without truely understanding why I did it :p

I can say I don't really notice any difference with steering power either direction. 2" bore ram with I think a 1.125" rod

·
Premium Member
838 Posts

my eyes might be jacked but it lookes like the ram pistion goes towards the driver. Correct me if im wrong!

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
my eyes might be jacked but it lookes like the ram pistion goes towards the driver. Correct me if im wrong!
:laughing:

Yah, driver, right. That would explain the last comp... driver/spotter...left/right, whatever!

I dont notice a differene on this one, but I have have more unbalanced systems that were not a big issue, just an annoyance. I just want perfection is all!

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Brian, you really should bring the rig to donor so we can look at your steering setup and maybe you can get back on the podium :flipoff2:

To bad you guys aren't coming your presence will be missed. :p

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Brian, you really should bring the rig to donor so we can look at your steering setup and maybe you can get back on the podium :flipoff2:

To bad you guys aren't coming your presence will be missed. :p
Thanks. I wish we could make it, but we have to keep priorities in order. :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Well I am building my steering setup just like Brians. Factory steering arms w/ARP studs. 1.5" DOM tierod with the DL hooked in about 3/4 of the way over. There are some clearance issues I can tell you that. I tried to mount it with the piston extending to the driver side but I "think" the bolt that goes through the piston end (driver side) is gonna get in the spring. I wish I could find one of those pins like is in the TSC rams to use. I got to thinking about mounting it under the driver side spring pad and making the piston go towards the pass. side......I dunno. It is not finished......I wish Brian would post up some upclose pics. If anyone has some pics of this stuff either way please post up.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Well when you order the ARP stud setup from us, Ill answer any questions on it youve got! If youve already recieved them from us, then I can still answer questions!

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
As for pics:

First is the diff end, its a bolt, on a a thick tab. the bolt is 5/8, the ram hole is 1", so there are 1"-5/8" reducing tube pieces inside there. Also allows the bolt to be very tight, without trying to crush the ears of the ram.

The other end, lousy pic, but that where youll have the most issue. The end of our ram was cut off and a nut welded on to use a rod end. We couldnt use it with the large clevis en as all. What you can kind of see is the clearing done to the ram body. You can see the bent rod end from crashing the tierod, and everything else for that matter, into rocks. Its only 5/8 right now and will be changed for a 3/4 shortly.

And yes that oil, appears our valve cover gasket leaks. :shaking: Everything else is good, no PCV/vent leaking out or going into the intake, just running out the top of the motor! Yay! :shaking:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I already ordered those studs from you guys.....um and a skid plate, and um a tcase mount plate. Thanks Brian:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts