Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im getting ready to mount up all my hydro assist stuff this weekend im just not sure on where I want to mount the Ram. Give me some ideas where you guys have mounted yours. (pics please) thanks in advance!

:vader:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do a search, I posted a pic of mine a while back.....lots of people here posted a pic of theirs....
Boss

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I had mine mounted on the spring plates, but everyone advised against it. So last night Dean fabbed up an axle mounted bracket. It looks tough nad the geometry seems like it will work well, but I havent tested it hard yet.
Anyway here are a few pics.

·
Premium Member
30,413 Posts
jeff looks like you are saving yourself a headache and changing that now. good work.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is what im working with right now.. any ideas on where to mount the ram? I dont really want it behind the draglink cuz its still in a bashable area.. I wanted to try and get it higher.. Any ideas.. Thanks!

ALSO NOTE: The tie rod and draglink are getting sleaved to 1.5" Currently 1.25" for some reason they kind of look wimpy in these pictures...

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
Tony,
You know, you gotta give me your other ram :) Don't save it for the little Yo's rig! You know you want to! Lets mount this thing.. I should be there sunday, after I go to church....
Scott :grinpimp:<><

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know id let you have it but im saving it for the rear steer :D ... well one of these days rear steer but for now it'll make a great paper wieght at the office :smokin: See you later Scott.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Camo, You say top of the diff. Do you mean on the cast iron housing or diff cover? The cover isnt strong enough is it???? My cover is about 3/16 to 1/4..

What about the angle the ram is going to be pushing. Does the ram have to be critically parallel with the draglink its connecting to?? Or can it be a little "un-parallel"?

Thanks

·
Team *******
786 Posts
hey Rockbuggy, Use the longer tab that I sent you and mount it on the axle housing. And the shorter link to the drag link. If need be you can remove the bolts and turn the end housing so that the hoses still point up. You always want those ports to be mounted at the top so that it will self bleed all the air out. If you have any more question please call and I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
without bagging on you, I see a few issues. (Hopefully it's just
the camera angles)

it would appear that the tab you welded onto the tie-rod is going
to interfere with the sector-shaft on your p/s box at some point.

It also appears to be a large angle on the hydro cyl between the
mounting on the axle and the tie rod. This would cause the
tie rod to bend outward, rather thatn assist in steering.

there would also appear to be zero-misalignment capacity due
to how the rod-end attaches to the same tab on the tie-rod.
(I realize if the hole is slightly oversize, that would work) but it will
also make itself larger, and larger as time goes.

I can't see the tab welded on the axle tube/or spring plate? on
the other end of the ram.

I hope you get to fully test-it/beat on it close to home before
to go out and make a long trip to go wheel...

I mean absolutely no disrespect to you, and I hope all of my observations and critique are false and unneeded..

good luck..............

--Sherpa

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SHERPA RIG said:
without bagging on you, I see a few issues. (Hopefully it's just
the camera angles)

it would appear that the tab you welded onto the tie-rod is going
to interfere with the sector-shaft on your p/s box at some point.

It also appears to be a large angle on the hydro cyl between the
mounting on the axle and the tie rod. This would cause the
tie rod to bend outward, rather thatn assist in steering.

there would also appear to be zero-misalignment capacity due
to how the rod-end attaches to the same tab on the tie-rod.
(I realize if the hole is slightly oversize, that would work) but it will
also make itself larger, and larger as time goes.

I can't see the tab welded on the axle tube/or spring plate? on
the other end of the ram.

I hope you get to fully test-it/beat on it close to home before
to go out and make a long trip to go wheel...

I mean absolutely no disrespect to you, and I hope all of my observations and critique are false and unneeded..

good luck..............

--Sherpa

Ahhhh? :rolleyes: Ok it must be the camera angles.

The ram is perfectly parrellel with the dragklink, the draglink does not bend outward what so ever, The steering box is far and clear from any movement that the ram is going to make... Trust me all this is fine! I didnt just slap the fawkin ram on there weld it up and say aaahh! thats good enough.. We actually spent most of the day figuring anf re-figuring the rams position and its motions. Then after everything was mounted and ready to try I of course went through the steering motions and tested everything out.

:skull: :skull: :skull:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.