Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ram is tacked in. Anyone see a problem with it not being paralell to the tie rod? Like it will push up and pull down on the tie rod and bend it? It's a little to big to mount on top of the axle so this is about the only place to put it.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
DAMN! That is one big ram! I would think the front cover on the axle would tear being it is so thin compared to the beef you have attached to it.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I would try for less angle. Attaching at an angle to the
middle of the hollow draglink tube could leave you
vulnerable to bending it under heavy load.

Any way to get it up behind the draglink?

Jay

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's 5" of surface to weld going around the mount so hopefully it will hold. I went with such a big ram for when I go to a 60 and 44's someday :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ROKTOY said:

Any way to get it up behind the draglink?

I didn't want to extend the bump stops so far down to keep it from hitting the oil pan. But if doing that reduces the stress on the tie rod that's what I'll do.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
I would keep that ram for future use (when you get your 60) Buy a smaller ram and mount it on the on top behind the tierod. Set it up right and you will be able sell the front end to help bank the 60.:D

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
1. my ram is much closer to parallel than yours and i still bend my tie rod every trip. they need to be parellel

2. i have 20 bucks that says you will rip a nice hole in your diff cover they way it is currently mounted to diff. but then again carnage is cool. just make sure to clean up yourmess on the trail.

3. even with 40 and 60 i would run a smaller ram unless you have the a pump that is running around 20gpm. fyi stock toys flow about 8 gpm and trick aftermarket pumps about 13 gpm.

4. disregard all my opinions and run what you have got. if it works ........great. if it doesn't work so well then check back here for the answers. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
theres no way thatll steer your truck. itll just steer that ram right off that third cover. mine is mounted directly above the third on the housing, but my ram is much smaller, you may not have enough room width wise up top???

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments, I'm glad I asked!!

I'll refit it on top of the axle and adjust the bump stops for clearance. I think there will be enough room width wise but it will be close. I'll run it like this and see how slow it is. If I can live with it cool, if not I'll get a smaller ram.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You guys drill and tap your own box? Is this something I should do or take it to someone that has done it before so I won't fawk a perfectly good IFS box?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ROKTOY, that's what I'm going to do. If the ram I have is to big I'll go with one like your's. Which will suck because I was told it will work fine with what I have and save me trouble of buying a bigger ram down the road for the 60. I'll get it remounted and bled tonight and we'll see how she does.

It's all one big experiment for me, some things work and some don't. I'm learning a lot and hopefully it all comes toghether and is a good trail rig.

·
Registered
469 Posts
ROKTOY said:
Possibility.......

roktoy,
were did ya get that ram and how much was that particular one??
Does it provide enough power to cut the wheels when they are wedged in a rock????

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Surplus Center 1-800-488-3407
Part #9-4410-6
$78.50

Works great and provides plenty of assist. I run mine with an AGR Saginaw pump though.

Don't really want to use it simply to muscle the truck around. Still gotta be somewhat
sane when your tires are wedged. Must use the force wisely....... :D

Jay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts