Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to install hydro assis steering on my YJ but I couldn't find a place to buy cheapo but powerful no frill ram steer cylinder. I think it was called Columbus cylinder.
Not gonna blow money on expensive AGR or PSC assit steer system.
Also need a website telling me precisely on where to tap the YJ steering box and where to find the hoses and fittings.

91 YJ HP D44, 8.8, 4.88, Detroit lock'd, RE Xtreme 1.5" springs, heavily armored, 37x13.5 nitto mud grappler

"Vulture" Jeep

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent website on where to tap the steering box but...is the 81' Wagoneer steering box the same as the 91' YJ steering box?

·
H Rated
1,737 Posts
I think it is...don't want to say for sure. But I tapped my 89yj box using these specs and it worked out nice. The magnet and the carb cleaner are a must. Also put some grease on the tap so the shavings stick to it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The information and tips that you gave me is really helpful!!

Will port and tap my YJ steering box this weekend.

Long live the Jeepers!

Vulture jeep

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
Tap ur box and then go to the nearest implement store and buy a 2x8 cylinder and the hoses you need and walla! Done. Cost me about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cylinder and hoses and fittings for 100 bucks??? Which store? what is the brand name/model of the cylinder? Is it 8 inch ram?

·
Registered
772 Posts
that would be possibly your local tractor supply and they are chief brand cylinders.. seem to work for everyone around here. can be had for around 100 as stated earlier... and yes i think he was talking a 2x8 ram which runs around $69 at tractor supply.

Chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, i have checked around and found that they have Lion 2500 cylinder but it is not welded cylinder, it is being held togther by long four bolts. It sells for 69 bucks. Looks chunky and awkward to me. Welded cylinder is what I am lookin for ...Ok will keep on lookin round. Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
see about talking to a manager at that tractor supply you went to i know at ours you can order just about whatever you want.

Chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bingo! Welded cyclinder is what I am lookin for! Did you use any one of those on your rig? Which one is better? I am leanin' on the yellow one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
yjsquareyes said:
Bingo! Welded cyclinder is what I am lookin for! Did you use any one of those on your rig? Which one is better? I am leanin' on the yellow one.

I
Thanks!

I used the black one with the fixed ends......worked ok........yes I would lean towards the yellow one also

BTW used a fixxed mount on the tie rod........my adjustable mount would not tighten down enough and actually would turn the tierod and change the toe in............

·
Registered
200 Posts
How do those Assist setups do on the road? Im going to be running 37's on my CJ in the future, and Im thinking about doing it, but its my DD so road manners are a factor.

·
Registered
478 Posts
got my hoses and ram from Northern Tools. ram(8x2) was $60 and the hoses were another $24 each.

Cant do better than that. Cooler was an ebay score, (trans cooler)for $8

C-

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Bostonyj7 said:
got my hoses and ram from Northern Tools. ram(8x2) was $60 and the hoses were another $24 each.

C-
you got ripped on the hoses...36" hoses at surplus supply for 3.99 each

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bostonyj7 said:
C-
So you are sunning your PS fluid through a transcooler? Is that nessicary? pros cons?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts