Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built their own hydro boost system? My next major upgrade on my CJ-7 is to upgrade the brakes. I have added a lot of weight to the jeep and larger tires so it doesn’t stop so well anymore. I have d44’s front and rear with a TBI 350 Chevy and manual brakes. I was looking into a hydro boost system off of a 1988 or so 3/4 or 1 ton chevy truck with a 350 in it. Has anyone done anything like this in their jeep? I did a search and didn’t come up with anything very useful. I know there are a few companies that offer them ready to bolt up but I can’t afford $600+.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

(From Auto Zone)
Hydro booster $160 ($61 core)
Master Cylinder (off a chevy) $80 (new) $40 (reman) (40 core)
Power steering pump $54 ($10 core)

Any opinions? I know I will probably have to modify the pushrod between the pedal and booster. I also plan to get cores from a local pick and pull or something like that. Is there anything I am over looking? I am trying to do a thorough of research as possible before I decide which route to go.

Thanks for any help,
~Kirk

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I have a unit from a mid 70's eldorado. Different application, but many of the same guidelines. Before 79 the units used flared fittings, afterwords used O ring style. Some Eldorados had 4 whl discs. Caddy ps pumps had 2 return lines, trucks had the same,or a T in the return lines. For Scouts we get rid of the bellcrank linkage and run the rod straight to the brake pedal. The late 70's caddys have the right length pushrood length for us. Many late 70's GM wagons also used the same systems. If you are using a gm pump you can just switch reserivoirs

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
if i remember corectly , the units with the silver cans provide more pumps after the motor is shut off than the ones with the gold cans. there doesnt seem to be any diferances while running tho...

hydro boost is the shiznit

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any year or make/model that is better to get a hydro booster from? I would prefer to stick with chevy because then I know everything *should* work.

Thanks,
Kirk

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
do a quick search :flipoff2:

there is a real nice link on how to set it up a few....well a while ago :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts