Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a hydro boost system off a 94ish Chevy K30. Turns out the accumulator is going to hit the engine valve cover (accum. is on bottom left). The pedal would have to be moved a long way to in any direction (up or left) to avoid hitting the engine with the HB.

Can a hydrobooster be mounted upside down?

I've heard some people have remotely mounted a hydroboost system with a bellcrank. does anyone have any pics of this.

thanks

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
You have some mounting issues. I mocked mine up w/a 454 and there is plenty o' room... same as Spicer's. Send me a pic... somethign is off, if you're having clearance problems.

I pulled a hydro boost system off a 94ish Chevy K30. Turns out the accumulator is going to hit the engine valve cover (accum. is on bottom left). The pedal would have to be moved a long way to in any direction (up or left) to avoid hitting the engine with the HB.

Can a hydrobooster be mounted upside down?

I've heard some people have remotely mounted a hydroboost system with a bellcrank. does anyone have any pics of this.

thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes you can mount it upside down. The only issue will be if the HB backing plate is an angled plate at the HB (most are). If it is angled the ~typical 6* then your MC is going to point down rather then up which also changes the angle on the pushrod to the pedal and can result in binding.
The backing plates only mount to the HB in one position due to a keyway so you will have to either locate another backing plate with the correct angle or figure a way to angle the unit while keeping your rod spacing functional.
Here's a pic showing the keyway on the mounting plate:

I have a way to mount HB's to M715's and FSJs that allows you to invert it but it requires you have the correct HB and the aluminum FSJ firewall spacer. Shoot me a pm/email if you need more info... something like this (and this will rotate 180* while maintaining the 6* on the rod/mc angle):

·
Registered
676 Posts
When I mounted mine upside down I didn't have any problems with it binding.
It was off an older CUCV though.
I was hitting my oversized valve covers as well, and this solved it.
It seemed to take a little longer to bleed the air bubbles out for me this way, but it still worked perfect after that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have the bracket or pedals. did anyone just mount the HB on the firewall and conect the the pushrod to the original pedal?

·
Registered
676 Posts
That is what I did.
I had an 83 FSJ Cherokee, I had to modify the pushrod to work, but I basically bolted the HB in upside down, and used everything else stock Jeep. I did use the big chevy MC that came with the HB though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts