Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hooking up the cooler and bleeding the lines right now. I just want to double or TRIPLE check to make sure this is correct because the way my luck has been going lately... I really don't want to screw something up because of stupidity (Story of my life :shaking: )

I drew a quick diagram of how I have it hooked up. As for bleeding i'm just working the tires back and forth with the front lifted off the ground. So far so good but i'm noticing now its not sucking any more fluid through the line and the return to the res doesn't feel like it has anything in it :confused:

Should I pull off the coil wire and give it a few quick cranks to get it flowing?

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
What ever you are doing STOP!!!!

That is not the way it should be hooked up.

Your cooler should be hooked up to the return line from your steering box that is returning oil ( at low pressure) to the reservoir.

Do not try and run the cooler between the reservoir and pump, you will cavitate the pump and wreck it.

Pump to Steering box ( hi pressure)
Steering box to cooler ( Low pressure)
Cooler to reservoir ( Low pressure)
Reservoir to pump. ( suction )

·
Registered
7,069 Posts

Your cooler should be hooked up to the return line from your steering box that is returning oil ( at low pressure) to the reservoir.

Do not try and run the cooler between the reservoir and pump, you will cavitate the pump and wreck it.

Reservoir to pump. ( suction )

Yup!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Reservoir to pump. ( suction
hmmm... okay this has got me scratching my head now because the ONLY line that was 5/8" hose "supposivly low pressure is WHAT I thought" was the line coming from the very bottom of the RES to the Pump... everything else that is hooked up is steel braided hydraulic line... so let me get this strait...

This is how I have it hooked up. The two lines circled in red are my LOW PRESSURE LINES? ( Both lines going into Resivor basically?? ) hmm..

Attachments

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
The cooler needs to be between the orbital (or gear box depending on setup) and the resivoir. The only way that will work is if the tubes on your cooler are 5/8" ID or larger.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The whole idea is to cool the oil coming from the gear box "before" it gets to the reservoir. so basically switch the locations of your cooler and your reservoir on your drawing and your fine.
I don't care how big your cooler is, do not run it between your reservoir and your pump. Your reservoir should be as close as possible to your pump with the shortest and biggest hose you can use. Pumps do not like to suck oil and will not last long if you expect them to.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
wow, i had just thrown a cooler on in way he first put a pic and i wentg out for one day and the pump started to whine. is it junk or do you think it will still be useable after moving the cooler

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea I get it now, I RE plumbed everything. Didn't get a chance to bleed it because my wife called and the car broke down at the bank :shaking:

So here's a quick drawling I made to illustrate the correct way to hook up a inline cooler. I'm such a tard...

BTW thanks to DVSJeep and The Rockslut for correcting me before I fucked up my pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yep, that looks better.!!!:D

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got another question now that I think of it, yea its low pressure but still pretty damn hot.... Am I going to have problems with the heat damaging the lines goint to and from the cooler?

everything else is steel braided hydraulic line so i'm not worried about it.

I just used regular 3/8" 300 psi rated rubber line on the in/out of the fluid cooler.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
yea I get it now, I RE plumbed everything. Didn't get a chance to bleed it because my wife called and the car broke down at the bank :shaking:

So here's a quick drawling I made to illustrate the correct way to hook up a inline cooler. I'm such a tard...

BTW thanks to DVSJeep and The Rockslut for correcting me before I fucked up my pump.

The black line between the rez and the pump is low pressure, esentially it's being sucked in by the pump, it's definitely lo press.

Also, your rez should be the highest thing vertically in your system.

Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The black line between the rez and the pump is low pressure, esentially it's being sucked in by the pump, it's definitely lo press.

Also, your rez should be the highest thing vertically in your system.

Good luck.

Al

Yea the Res is the highest thing in the system, the pump to the res is the suction correct? which is probably low pressure but then you'd be depending on the suction of the pump to keep the fluid flowing through the cooler. I hear this can create problems?

If you look at the first picture, this is how I originally plumbed it and I had problems.

I re-plumbed between the gearbox and res, have yet to bleed and try it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Yea the Res is the highest thing in the system, the pump to the res is the suction correct? which is probably low pressure but then you'd be depending on the suction of the pump to keep the fluid flowing through the cooler. I hear this can create problems?

If you look at the first picture, this is how I originally plumbed it and I had problems.

I re-plumbed between the gearbox and res, have yet to bleed and try it.
I was quoting from your second picture. Your second pic shows the line between the rez and the pump as being "high pressure". It isn't, it's low pressure i.e. suction into the pump. That second picture is the correct configuration; that one line is just mis-identified.

Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
wow, i had just thrown a cooler on in way he first put a pic and i went out for one day and the pump started to whine. is it junk or do you think it will still be useable after moving the cooler
i just looked at it and i do have it hooked up right. could the whining be if it wasn't bled all the way?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts