Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched, didn't find what I was looking for.

Can someone point me to an online source for hose and fittings for my hydro assist? I've found sources for Earl's but figure there must be a cheaper idea. If using Earl's, what hose are you using?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Aeroquip Teflon Lined TFE Power Steering Hose and Reusable Steel Fittings. They are steel AN fittings, and the braided line looks super trick. I found Lefthander Chassis has the cheapest prices.

CJ

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CJ - Thanks. Their site seems to be having problems though. Can't even order a catalog. I'll try calling them tomorrow.

larryboy - thanks, but I want to go the reusable route this time.

Paul

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
larryboy said:

i don't understand...what do you mean by reusable?
The ends are reusable - so is the hose if the length is right. I had to sell (got lucky) my last set of hoses because they wouldn't work for me this time around.

Paul

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Aeroquip AN style fittings, available at any heavy truck dealership or parts house. In the Bay Area, try Golden Gate Truck Center (Freightliner) or Bay Area Kenworth for hydraulic hardware. There should be dozens of heavy equipment shops around as well. I recomend these because their prices are generally better than 4x4 indusrty sources. It seems to me to be kinda stupid to try to buy this kind of stuff over the internet when it is available in every town.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
nasvik said:

The ends are reusable - so is the hose if the length is right. I had to sell (got lucky) my last set of hoses because they wouldn't work for me this time around.

Paul
oh i get it. napa charge you that much?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
larryboy said:

i don't understand...what do you mean by reusable?
Also good for if you blow a hose in BFE, you can replace the hose with a couple of wrenches, and not a hydraulic hose crimper.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I got my stuff from Orme Brothers, http://www.ormebros.com .. I needed metric fittings and none of the local hydro shops speak metric. I went from 16mm MIF to AN (don't remember which size) and got some hose for it. The hose is cake to work with, the fittings just thread over it. I got enough for two hoses so I can carry a trail spare. Thier website kind of sucks, but the people you get on the phone are top notch.

If you don't need metric fittings, any local hydro shop can get you the hose and fittings for a lot less than the anodized aluminum stuff.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the leads. A little browsing and I remembered my link to Baker Precision Found what I'm looking for from Aeroquip.

Another question: I need to get a new hose to connect the pump to the box (pressure line). Box is "metric O-ring" (anyone know the exact size?) and the pump in AN-6. Custom hose, or am I likely to find the fittings I need. As far as I can tell, I just need to know the threads on the box.

Robert, FWIW last time I needed hoses made I had to drive to Oakland. No one in town seemed to know what I was talking about. :rolleyes: Thanks for the leads on the truck companies.
Paul

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
nasvik said:
Thanks for the leads. A little browsing and I remembered my link to Baker Precision Found what I'm looking for from Aeroquip.

Another question: I need to get a new hose to connect the pump to the box (pressure line). Box is "metric O-ring" (anyone know the exact size?) and the pump in AN-6. Custom hose, or am I likely to find the fittings I need. As far as I can tell, I just need to know the threads on the box.

Robert, FWIW last time I needed hoses made I had to drive to Oakland. No one in town seemed to know what I was talking about. :rolleyes: Thanks for the leads on the truck companies.
Paul
Oakland??:confused: You could've gone to SSF and got what ya needed.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
70~K5 said:

Oakland??:confused: You could've gone to SSF and got what ya needed.
One would think, but 45 minutes calling around and getting referrals from people I called told me I was better driving to Oakland where the guy knew what I wanted when I asked for it. I'm sure there's shops that can help, but the idiot factor sent me away.

Those that don't live in SF can't seem to understand that basic services aren't just around the corner here. If I can find what I want online that's how I'll get it.

Now about those metric fittings... :D

Paul

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Paul,

I have some earls hose and fittings that I am using.

I will see if Mike still knows the part numbers.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scout Dude - Thanks for the lead. Is THIS what you used? I sent a note to Afco and this is what they pointed me to. "Drill and tap" isn't what I'm looking for on this.

If that's the one, looks like I should just go get a hose made for the pressure line.

Paul

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
nasvik said:
Scout Dude - Thanks for the lead. Is THIS what you used? I sent a note to Afco and this is what they pointed me to. "Drill and tap" isn't what I'm looking for on this.

If that's the one, looks like I should just go get a hose made for the pressure line.

Paul
Yep, that them...I ordered one for each size (the Sales dude said that my box [YJ box] used on of each) and I ended up using a std return fitting and then used the two that I bought for the pressure side of the box and the ouput for the pump (85 Chevy van pump). Then I bought some braided aeroquip line & fittings so that I could make my own pressure line (I needed it very line since my motor is way back and my box is way forward.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got this back, so I'll include it for future searches:
The two fittings we have are 16mm x 1.5 for the pressure and 18mm x 1.5 for the return. I am not sure if the Jeep box is the same or not. You may be able to that info from a Jeep parts department.
I'll measure a spare box and get the one I need. Thanks for your help!

Paul

1 - 20 of 24 Posts