Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to troubleshoot some full hydro issues. This is not my truck, nor my setup so it's getting a little confusing :grinpimp:

Steering feels like manual steering with the Jeep off, goes from lock to lock with no issues. When the Jeep on it is only VERY slighty better, still feels like manual steering. Truck is running 37" tires.

Pump doesn't whine or anything when bled, and I have tried two identical pumps of unknown state or origin. Fluid level raises and drops with the ram.

Running this pump

I have removed the shims and drilled the hole to 5/32" to get some more flow. Did not seem to change.

Uses a Char Lynn orbital valve with who know what specs... ports are labeled "In, Out, F, R"

Lines go from pressue to "In"
From "Out" to resevior
From F to right side of ram (I think)
From R to left side of ram (I think)

Ram has a 1" rod, and the OD is 3", unsure of the ID or stroke.

Any idea what I should be looking for? Bad pump? Bad orbital?

Any way to check???

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
get a pressure gauge in the pressure line of the pump....mine wasnt workin worth shit, checked the presure and it was maybe 400 psi...swapped it out to astock pump and it works great ..went to th con and testid it worked cool.....

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
double ended ram? Fluid should not rise on a double ended. and make sure your junk is setup like this:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
get a pressure gauge in the pressure line of the pump....mine wasnt workin worth shit, checked the presure and it was maybe 400 psi...swapped it out to astock pump and it works great ..went to th con and testid it worked cool.....
That is what I am thinking right now... It seems like the only logical problem...

double ended ram?
Nope, single. Lines are routed right, they are all the same size (which I know is an issue) but I'm getting almost no assist from the orbital to the ram.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
CharLynn valve should either be labeled L, R, P, T, or In, Out, L, R... there shouldn't be an "F" on there anywhere.

Did you check the hole in the side of the output fitting after drilling it? I've seen chips wedge in there (the little bitty one halfway up, not the big one in the tip) before and result in plenty of fluid flow, but no pressure.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
brimy311 said:
Did you mean aerostar pump ryan?

no i think its out of an 81 chev truck without hydroassist brakes.
in the writeup in the tech section there is a pump section....that sounded wierd.....it lists the pumps and specs

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
cool, we are going to check that drilled out port for blockage and then probable figure out the pump issue.

anymore ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts