Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posting this here rather than the Cherokee sub-forum....

87 XJ... This was my only possible mount location for the reservoir as the traditional location wouldn't work with the coilover hoops and different master cylinder arrangement. The pic shows that I have very little room (about 6" AN to AN) to make a the #12 AN connection to the pump and the standard Fragola AN fittings make this impossible. I'm thinking possibly short barbs combined with eliminating the AN fittings altogether. I'll have to thread it all up and mount the res last...

Ant thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am in the same boat. The ONLY place I found it will mount with it being higher than the pump and still close the hood just to the driver side of the cylinder head, about 1/4 above the intake manifold right against the firewall. I am currently bending up a bracket to weld to the firewall just below the hood. The other option is to get an older PSC resevoir. The latest ones are much larger than the previous styles and give you a few more options. If your reservoir is mounted to the engine can you not run just an elbow and a short straight hose?

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Yea, but it looks like the feed line is horizontal on both the reservoir and the pump. Reservoir feed line needs to be higher than the feed line on the pump. Shit, my reservoir stick a foot up out of the hood. :homer:

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I would buy two hose barbs "climbit" suggested and try a short piece of rubber tubing. I had the same issue as you when I started. You cannot make an AN hose that short and flexible. It would of course be better if the reservoir was higher but it may be ok as is. If the fluid is higher in the res then it is in the pump then techinically it'll still be gravity fed.

Here are a few pictures of mine. I have the hose barbs "climbit" suggested. I believe I shortened them up by cutting off the last barb. I went to the local auto supply store and found a formed hose that had the perfect bends for my application. Much better then "bending" a straight hose.

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

Other thoughts...
I've thought about running a pressurized reservoir.

From this thread.
e. Ventilation and Pressurization. Most reservoirs are vented to the atmosphere. A vent opening allows air to leave or enter the space above the oil as the level of the oil goes up or down. This maintains a constant atmospheric pressure above the oil. A reservoir filter cap, with a filter element, is often used as a vent. Some reservoirs are pressurized, using a simple pressure-control valve rather than a vented one. A pressure-control valve automatically lets filtered air into a tank but prevents air release unless the pressure reaches a preset level. A pressurized reservoir takes place when the oil and air in a tank expand from heat.

I wouldn't pressurize it much though, maybe 2-5psi. Something as simple as a brake residual valve may work, I haven't thought about this in quite awhile though. I'm just throwing thoughts out there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What about making a bracket that mounts it to your intake manifold and bend some aluminum or SS hard line with an females?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nevermind.... that's not going to work either. Shortest fitting combo would be a -12AN o-ring to 3/4" hose barb and I only found that with a smooth barb (like on a cooling system). When I get home tonight I'll look at turning the reservoir 90 degrees and 180 degrees and see how that looks.

:shaking:

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Mines mounted between the brake booster and the master cylinder with a stock bracket from PSC.

It does stick above the hood, though.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Mine was like this. The second I went up an incline all the fluid rushed back and I lost my steering. Not trying to thrash your setup, its just the issue I had with the Zuk.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input.... much appreciated!

Here is what I'm going to give a try....

-12AN 150 degree off the reservoir
-12 45 degree to the pump

I flipped the reservoir about 180 degrees to get some needed hose length and I will finalize the hose after I get the serpentine belt tensioned...

:smokin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts