Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My steering sucks and I have alot of links in a very tight space. I am thinking converting to hydro steering to eliminate clearance problems and lack of steering strength.
My setup is a fullwidth rc60 with avalanch highsteer arms for crossover steering. Box is f250. I am running coils with a three link and panhard bar.

I know I want the danfoss orbital for the load sensing.
I ideally would like to run the dual ended ram, but have a problem with mounting. Either on the stock locations or the highsteer arms , which are most likly to weak. The other possibility is running a single ram and retaining my tierod.
Here are some pics. How would you mount a double ended ram? Is my only choice using a single ram to the stock hole in the knuckle?
Any ideas welcome.
scott
front view
current cluster fawk of links
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
30,419 Posts
i don't see any reason you can't mount a double ended ram.

i am looking for pics to post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can mount it simaler to bgreen did mounting
I just am not sure if my highsteer arms will be up to it because everyone says the avalanche arms are weak.
Ofcourse everyones opinions on the avalanche arms could be bs.:confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
30,419 Posts
i don't think the avalance arms are weak you just need to remove the powder coat from the bottom of them for a better fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That powder coat fell of as soon as I pulled them from the box:D
thanks for the replies so far.:beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
bent70 said:
. The other possibility is running a single ram and retaining my tierod.
Here are some pics. How would you mount a double ended ram? Is my only choice using a single ram to the stock hole in the knuckle?
Any ideas welcome.
scott
Here's another idea of mounting a ram.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/images/Frontright.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Have you thought about hydro assist instead of full hydro? I completed an assist sytem on my EB and itseems to work very well. Steering is crisp from low speed to going do the freeway at 65-70 mph. You could easily mount the ram from a diff. gaurd like Avalanche sales then to the tie rod. The ram mount up and out of the way from getting smashed. I guess it all depends on what/where you are using your rig the most. Just my $.02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jslater said:
Have you thought about hydro assist instead of full hydro? I completed an assist sytem on my EB and itseems to work very well. Steering is crisp from low speed to going do the freeway at 65-70 mph. You could easily mount the ram from a diff. gaurd like Avalanche sales then to the tie rod. The ram mount up and out of the way from getting smashed. I guess it all depends on what/where you are using your rig the most. Just my $.02.
I was thinking of this awhile ago, but realized my eb will never be driven on the road. I really want to get rid of my draglink and tierod. In my last trip I slightly bent my radius arm resulting in my drag hitting my panhard bar and tierod hitting my crossmember.

So I think I will be going with a dual sided ram. For clearance issues and for the poosibility I move the axle forward more ini the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sceep is your ram centered or offset with a longer link on one side?
 

·
thhhpptthh!
Joined
·
46,717 Posts
bent70 said:
Sceep is your ram centered or offset with a longer link on one side?
centered.. wheels had'nt been aligned yet in that pic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Where is that ram from and how much did it run you? I'm wanting to run a double on my buggy project.

Easy
 

·
thhhpptthh!
Joined
·
46,717 Posts
EasyXJ said:
Where is that ram from and how much did it run you? I'm wanting to run a double on my buggy project.

Easy
i bought the whole setup from a member off this board for a smoking deal. We are still not sure wtf it came off of. Toyota forklift we think. Its all metric, and the parts #'s on the orbital are not know by the manufacturer of the orbital.. best we can figure it was a custom job for toyota. no #'s on the ram.

That being said. I LUCKED OUT. everything works tits. 4 turns lock to lock, ram was a bit to long for my app but i just limited it about 3/4" in each direction.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top