Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I'll get my ass flamed off for even posting this but here goes. If your brakes are full hydraulic and can fail and lead to loss of braking, why does everyone freak about full hydraulic steering? I've had a few cars(junkers) that lost brakes entirely due to master cylinder failure or hoses cracking out. I've never seen anyone's hydro steering crap out(if properly engineered). Point is I can buy cylinders and hoses for half the cost of a decent high steer setup. I know, if my steering fails and I hit your rig, you're gonna kill me but what's with the double standard? Just looking for input on this.

·
Registered
645 Posts
what would you suggest we do for brakes - you don't have much option there
steering you have optoins
Full Hydro is also (let me get my flame suit on) slower for on the road use.
Upgrading to hydro steer with stock steering components will also cause failure

this all goes back to why the governing bodies around the world have been so slow to adopt steer by wire or anything that is not mechanically hooked up to the wheels

It really gets bad when folks hack together a system with no idea what they are doing and put everyone on the road, trail, parking lot.... at risk.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
One advantage of hydraulic assist steering is that the system can be easily reconfigured to normal power steering in case of a ram or hose failure with a few fittings; plug the pump and bypass the ram. Still leaves you with power steering. Howver, if the pump fails, you are left with manual steering.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Well heres the deal. A person could easily make a full hydro system and be safe for the road. If you know what your doing in designing and building it, then inspecting it on a regular basis, and know the limits of it, to reduce failure due to damage parts, you'd be cool.
But the reality is this:
Theres an ass load of rigs out there, with another ass load of people willing to modify them to the moon.
80% of them wouldnt have a clue in how to go about this kind of mod, and the governing officials know that. So, they keep it safe by making laws like keeping the steering linkage a constant mechanical connection to the steering wheel.
And there is the affect that this has on the handling of the vehicle, so youd have to know how to drive it safely, if the system has the capability to be driven safely.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hydraulic steering

I used to run scrapers(big earth mover with a drop bottom and a paddle to pick up dirt) for Granite construcion in Watsonville a few years ago, and those were full hydraulic steering. One of the problems I encountered with these is if the motor dies, so does the steering, because of the loss of hydraulic pressure from the pump(not fun with a 30 ton loaded machine). Same thing with brakes that have boosters on them, the motor dies, and no more power assistance. The mecanical (E) brake is the backup secondary, and can operate with out engine assistance to effectively stop the vehicile. Thats why full hydraulic is not allow on the street, there is no backup if the pump dies. Just my 2 cents on the issue.

P.S. Before I get flamed on, to my understanding fly-by-wire is allowed because the actuator runs off of electrical power. How often do you have a full on electrical failure in a vehicile? I still think its stupid to bypass the mecanical linkage that is still working fine, but whatever.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be buying high steer kit from marlin as soon as I can afford it but for now I got two cylinders. I'm going to mount one to the ifs pitman arm and the other to the tie rod and hook the cylinders together. I won't gain a mechanical advantage but I'll be able to run some trails in the meantime. I'll just be using the hydraulics to connect the pitman arm to the axle. I'll keep riding my bike to work until I link it up right. If anyone in the four corners area needs a car guy and pays decent, let me know. I do it all (engine, suspension, electronics, interiors, bodywork, custom anything). Thanks for all the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts