Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using there stock power steering pump with a full hydro system? I was thinking about trying it and not sure if any has tried. I was thinking about removing the reservoir and opening up the feed port and installing a NPT to JIC fittings on both input and output.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used mine for a bit, its too low on pressure, and I had mine turned up a ways by modifying the pressure valve. Worked great on the conventional box but it was not enough for the hydro, also it doesnt hold much fluid, which can be problem. Long story short, get a good pump, lot of guys recommend Howe, Ive got a psc, its works at the moment.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I have a stock pump. 8" ram on 2.25" cylinder iirc. It works well enough. I did the pressure mod on the output valve and didn't like it. Went to the smaller PSC pulley and it was better. Also added a large filter and cooler. If/when the stock pump goes I'll add a Howe.

For a bit more capacity I plugged the cap and ran a AN fitting out of the top that is connected to about 4 foot of hose. Hose is plugged at the other end. Then filled the resivor up. Seems to hold enough fluid so far.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have a stock pump. 8" ram on 2.25" cylinder iirc. It works well enough. I did the pressure mod on the output valve and didn't like it. Went to the smaller PSC pulley and it was better. Also added a large filter and cooler. If/when the stock pump goes I'll add a Howe.

For a bit more capacity I plugged the cap and ran a AN fitting out of the top that is connected to about 4 foot of hose. Hose is plugged at the other end. Then filled the resivor up. Seems to hold enough fluid so far.
What do you mean by well enough? Good enough for crawling but not anything at speed?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I don't have any issues at speed, done a short race past year and drive it on fire roads often. It works well enough for a stock pump. Yes it could be ideally better with an aftermarket pump but I'll run the stock pump until it quits. And its a 2" ram not 2.25".

No problems in rocks either. Pushing 35s around so your mileage might vary with bigger tires.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Does anyone know what the PSI of a factory pump is?

Has anyone don't a junkyark pump swap for more PSI/fluid capacity?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
factory is 1400-1500 psi with a max 2.8 gpm.

pressure isn't really the issue with most factory pump systems. its flow. 2.8 is nothing on a ram sized for full hydro.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
factory is 1400-1500 psi with a max 2.8 gpm.

pressure isn't really the issue with most factory pump systems. its flow. 2.8 is nothing on a ram sized for full hydro.
Also I have a single ended ram.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts