·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a plasma cutter here shortly. Choice is either a
Powermax 380
or a
Powermax 600

Both are really good prices, best I can find anywhere.

Now the ???
Do I pony up the extra $450 for the 600? Anyone that bought the 380 wish they had more capacity? Anyone that bought the 600 realize they dont need the extra capacity?

I intend on using it mostly for truck fab projects, ranging up to 1/4" mostly but do think I might need 3/8" capacity once and a while.

TIA

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I think ours is the equivelent of the 380 in a earlier model. Same physical size at least. It works well for us. The only thing that challenges it is 1" stock for steering arms. It gets pretty nasty on that. Cuts 1/4" great, 3/8" O.K., 1/2" can be cut but turns out rough.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have a powermax 1000 at our shop. I really like it. Had a low end hobart before, it was much slower (I'm think it is similar to the 380). I would recommend going with the largest capacity you can afford. Got ours from a company advertising on ebay. Weiler welding are something like that. They were really great to deal with. Order a few extra nozzle and electrode. You will need them.

I looked for the thermodynamics but they were quite a bit more for equal machine. Thermodynamics does not allow mail order sales evidently.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have the 380. I wish I had the 600, but I'm making stuff all day everyday so speed is important to me. 1/4" is kinda slow and leaves a lot of slag, but the slag knocks right off. You need tip in very good condition not to get a pretty noticeable bevel on 1/4". It will cut 3/8" OK with new tips, just real slow and you get a pretty noticeable bevel on the cut.

Service has been good when I have called them. No probs from the unit.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
380 here and if I had the extra money at the time I would have got the 600 for sure. Like Shrock said it doesn't cut 1/4" the greatest and 3/8 is really pushing it. If you plan on doing a lot of cutting at 1/4 and larger definitely get the 600.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Goat said:
Bigger is better....I have found this to be true in case of plasma cutters.
Same is true with the air compressor. Nothing worse than running a small compressor and running out of air in the middle of a cut and then the garage circuits blow cause the comp. and plasma are pulling to much power at once!! :mad:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
hypertherm 1100..........

cuts 3/4 plate real nice..... and everything below..

even cuuts 1 1/4 plate... just a little slower :)

--Sherpa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.