·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a plasma cutter here shortly. Choice is either a
Powermax 380
or a
Powermax 600

Both are really good prices, best I can find anywhere.

Now the ???
Do I pony up the extra $450 for the 600? Anyone that bought the 380 wish they had more capacity? Anyone that bought the 600 realize they dont need the extra capacity?

I intend on using it mostly for truck fab projects, ranging up to 1/4" mostly but do think I might need 3/8" capacity once and a while.

TIA

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have a powermax 1000 at our shop. I really like it. Had a low end hobart before, it was much slower (I'm think it is similar to the 380). I would recommend going with the largest capacity you can afford. Got ours from a company advertising on ebay. Weiler welding are something like that. They were really great to deal with. Order a few extra nozzle and electrode. You will need them.

I looked for the thermodynamics but they were quite a bit more for equal machine. Thermodynamics does not allow mail order sales evidently.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have had the hypertherm 380 for 3 years now and have run the wheels off of it. There has only been about 3 times that I wish I would have spent the extra money for the 600.

Ryan

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Tin Bender and I ran the Thermal Dynamics Econo Pak 50 for awhile, good machine. However we needed a larger machine, we went with the Hypertherm Powermax 1000. I think the Hypertherm is one of the best tools we've ever spent money on, I think it's better than the Thermal Dynamics we use to have.:)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input! I am leaning towards the 380, b/c I think it will be more than enough for everything I will really end up using it for...

-Brett

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have the Hypertherm 380 and definitely would go with the 600 if I had it to do over again. 1/4" material cuts are fairly clean, 3/8" are rough and pretty slow.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have the 380. I wish I had the 600, but I'm making stuff all day everyday so speed is important to me. 1/4" is kinda slow and leaves a lot of slag, but the slag knocks right off. You need tip in very good condition not to get a pretty noticeable bevel on 1/4". It will cut 3/8" OK with new tips, just real slow and you get a pretty noticeable bevel on the cut.

Service has been good when I have called them. No probs from the unit.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
380 here and if I had the extra money at the time I would have got the 600 for sure. Like Shrock said it doesn't cut 1/4" the greatest and 3/8 is really pushing it. If you plan on doing a lot of cutting at 1/4 and larger definitely get the 600.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Goat said:
Bigger is better....I have found this to be true in case of plasma cutters.
Same is true with the air compressor. Nothing worse than running a small compressor and running out of air in the middle of a cut and then the garage circuits blow cause the comp. and plasma are pulling to much power at once!! :mad:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
hypertherm 1100..........

cuts 3/4 plate real nice..... and everything below..

even cuuts 1 1/4 plate... just a little slower :)

--Sherpa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts