Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear axle in a Disco. Would you use a Salisbury, 35 spline; a cut down 14-bolt; or a Spidertrax 9"?

I'm digging the Spidertrax unit, but it adds up very quickly. I'm not so much worried about the cost, rather the axle options and axle strength. What's avaliable axle wise besides Moser?

I don't think on either axle the R&P would pose a problem. Although, on the 9" at a minimum a Nodular diff needs to be fitted; Hi9 would just be overkill, yet sexy.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I personally dislike the Salsbury because its a monster, and heavy to boot. I don't know much about the 14 bolt, but guess its similar in weight and size. I am a huge fan of the Spider 9's, not because of what Keith does, just because of what they have to offer. They are pretty lightweight, much, much more ground clearance than the aforementioned options. And the biggest advantage in my mind is the dropout 3rd. While you don't have to pull diffs very much it is quite nice when there is trouble.

The other thing about the Spider 9 is that you don't have to truehi9's right away. You can run a regular 9" and later on if you want to upgrade its really easy to unload 9" housings...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
coolest option i have seen as far as stamped steel housing, beef and cheap would be to get an eaton with 4.56 gears in it (very common), and turn the eaton upside down and backwards. this will give you an offset for the r side output.

let me explain, the eaton has a removeable diff cover and a drop out third. you just swap the third to the side where the diff cover was and put on a diff cover of your choice and voila.

you then weld on your disc brake caliper brackets and you can weld on a truss and tabs wherever you like as it is a nice thick stamped steel housing.

later you can buy a 14 bolt detroit for $300 and swap in the 14 bolt shafts (same lengths, different spline count).

this axle will have roughly the same weight as a nine inch and you have a 10" ring gear.

you could feasably build it for under $200 if you get a deal on the eaton and just put in a welded set of 14bolt spider gears.

scott at rockstomper is an expert on this axle so i would refer to him.

i have only built one of these and it is still in use on the back of the ballistic shop truck.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
personally i love the 14bolt. and then you can get bigger than a 38" tire:flipoff2:

big tires make rocks more fun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
14 bolt.

problem is offset. if trail rig you could run it offset or look into another t-case atlas or stak, otherwise cut and resize and have mosar make you some axle.

If you it's a DD rig then I would go toy conversion 30 spline. salsibury is a rip. d60 isn't near as strong as a 14 bolt and for 3k? :shaking:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
to offset the 14 bolt...

cut the axle tubes. and switch them so that the short side of the housing is on the pinion output side and use the shafts as a guide for measurement. sleeve the inside of the axle tubes, bevel, fill weld the tubes together, plug weld to the sleeve, and for extra strength weld a truss over the seams you just welded and use it for your upper link/a arm mount.

done and done. you won't break it.

and justin i don't want to hear any crap about the weld being weak mister diff welder.:flipoff2:

i have seen plenty of butt welded axle tubes hold up great. even stronger than the plug welds in the diff casting.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
THere's a used coil (i think) salisbury for sale at ECR for 200$...D60 inners, a shave and you are good to go...no?

It comes with drums though...how easy is it to change a drum Salisbury to discs?

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
9in all the way. Since you said money is not an issue. It can be built stronger and way lighter. Disco's are already slugs.

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
nice shave job on that 14 bolt.

if money isn't a big issue the eaton would be the last axle i would use. doesn't it weigh more than a 14 bolt and have even worse ground clearance? i don't think there are any aftermarket gears either.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
ben,
i am only speaking from limitted experience.

we shaved an eaton and it has roughly the same clearance as a nine, and it was fifty bones for the axle, and we found a used set of 513 gears, you are right there are NO AFTERMARKET gears or other parts for that matter.

but we had the whole thing thrown together for five hundred including the detroit.

it mostly matters if the axle is nearly free.

that is why cheap was the trick with the eaton i built.

but i agree. the nine is the ticket...but i would not do a high nine in the rear. then you are running on the coast side of the gears. all things considered it probably wouldn't matter considering even the coast side of the high nine is still beef.
but unless you have to have high pinion in the rear, it is better imho to stick with a good strange nine with a deroit or arb in the ass.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
oh wait, i see you said "if money isn't a big issue"....

yep nine....

btw,
ben do you have a phone number you can pm me?

i have some diesel questions, unless you think i am a turd and don't want to talk to me:D

i know shit about them and wondering what is available here in az that would be good in a disco diesel wise...

hijack off.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
First off, this hypothetical BS is as irritating as the Willey argument. Quit discussing it and get building! We all have our own ideas as to what's best :flipoff2:

I have a pair of D60s AND a pair of 9" carriers. What to do, what to do?

I think a good way to go, and what I tried to sell to Alex before he decided on the Toy conversion, is a brandy new Strange Engineering housing, Rover outers, Moser axles and wheel the everlovin' piss out of it. Yeah, I know many of you are less than impressed with the quality and customer service of Moser ever since Greg died, but they are within neck-wringing distance for me (About the only thing Indiana has to offer, Hell, I couldn't even get what i wanted from Earl's on gas alley).

You'd have arguably bulletproof third members with pinion bearing supports, brand new housings made to fit a Rover and although you might sacrifice some shaft diameter, you'd be able to bolt your Rover wheels to it.

Get the Strange housings in mild carbon steel for trail-side repairs (in the unlikely situation where you'd bust something off the housing) and easier, cheaper welding of brackets, etc to the housing.

Other than the labor to have the mounts made and welded on, it wouldn't be THAT expensive.

That said, since Nadim just let the cat out of the bag, he will probably be receiving a phone call after I talk to ECR this morning. A bolt-in Sals is better than a hybrid 9" Rover that would cost much more and still require nearly as much work as my fitting the two D60s I already have, and a whole lot cheaper at that!

·
Banned
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At one time, ECR was selling off Sal's houshings for 50 bucks. That was as recent as a year ago. By the time you add a locker, R&P, and axles, it's still a $1500.00+ axle...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
14 bolt in a Rover makes no sense to me. The Eaton is the same axle, can be shaved the same way (except I would rather shave a fabricated axle housing than a cast center section), is the same width, can be converted to 5 on 6.5 if you use forged hubs and weld them up and machine, and all the ratios you need are available and has the offset capability. Only PITA is the brakes, I used Disco front brakes and they worked OK but I spent half a day machining the hubs and still had wheel clearance issues with Rover wheels. The ARB from the 14 bolt fits. I agree that 9 inch makes sense when dealing with no budget.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
BTW it is very easy to convert from drum to disc on Sali's.

If a guy does the work himself figure $400 for spindles and bearings $200 for the work on the hubs for bigger wheel bearings, $400 for Axles. If you use the stock Sals carrier you can do a Dana 70 drop in No Spin with 35 splines for about $400(it's a two piece like a 14 bolt or a dana 70). You can also do Dana gears in them and the carrier ratio break is the same as a 60.. The diff bearings are the same as a Dana 60 (except the pinion nose bearing) so a 60 master kit will work. The special Pinion nose bearing is currently unobtainium from Timken but i have the on order and place to stock several just in case.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
BTW it is very easy to convert from drum to disc on Sali's.
If one had an ample supply of Rover axles, could the spindles be modified to use on the Salisbury?

I have a call into Mike and am working on a purchase-pending approval of the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts