Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
30,419 Posts
you could probally grind it but why not take it back to the place that made it and get the proper arm ?
 

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
Joined
·
62,007 Posts
Do those arms have the standard 3 bolts holding them on?

If so, I say just go ahead and grind the arm to get the brake bracket to fit..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
You could probably grind the arms, and maybe a little from the brake mounts. But I agree with camo and DRM. If you can get properly designed steering arms that work with your brake mounts, do it. I guess if this a trailer only rig then no big deal. But if this is an an all around use truck you don't want to booger fab brakes or steering. I'd check to see if you can get steering arms and brake mounts that will work together, if not then trim as little as possible - probably take a little off of each. This axle may be going on a Toyota, but you might want to post this in a forum that deals with the truck you got the axle from. They might know more about it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are shaker built, and I am a little fustrated that these arms have not gone on smoother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bones said:
I'd just grind away at that spacer. Who's arms are those? Should have gotten Parts Mike parts :flipoff2:
I am starting to think the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,646 Posts
Do these have rise in them and correction? Will they clear the springs? I assume you are using 44044's?? I had a 1/2" spacer, but have removed it since the springs have settled and I removed one leaf.

SUPER ARM is 1.5" thick, CNC machined, raised arm with 10 degrees of correction for the tie rod end. This arm is a half inch taller than the flat arm and uses stock length studs.

$119 each.
$229 a pair.
$259 Kit. (Includes L&R arm and mounting hardware)



Compared to yours. Your mating surface looks very inconsistant from the pic anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Well, this isn't good news. I just ordered some Shaker parts for my steering. Owell, I guess if they don't work right I can always swap them out for Parts Mike stuff. I totally forgot about those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
lsloth said:
Should I just grind off some metal from the arm or use a different brake bracket? The pic is of my waggy axle I am using for sas'ing my truck. In the pics you can see were the outside edge of the spacer and arm are in the way of the brake bracket sitting flush on the spindle.

http://www.r65.org/tacoma/knuckles/IMG_0930.JPG
http://www.r65.org/tacoma/knuckles/IMG_0931.JPG
That thing is really starting to look like an axle now. When do you plan on doing the major cutting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Hysteer arm hitting the brake bracket

treatcg said:


That thing is really starting to look like an axle now. When do you plan on doing the major cutting.
I am getting close, my goal right now is late may or early june. I am hoping to have it ready for the TTORA nationals run in late July. This is costing so much more money than I thought, it seems nothing is wanting to go back together right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bones said:
Do these have rise in them and correction? Will they clear the springs? I assume you are using 44044's?? I had a 1/2" spacer, but have removed it since the springs have settled and I removed one leaf.

SUPER ARM is 1.5" thick, CNC machined, raised arm with 10 degrees of correction for the tie rod end. This arm is a half inch taller than the flat arm and uses stock length studs.

$119 each.
$229 a pair.
$259 Kit. (Includes L&R arm and mounting hardware)



Compared to yours. Your mating surface looks very inconsistant from the pic anyway.


Those arms do look really nice, they do have a spacer, and those arms and spacer in the pic are not all the way down on the knuckle. I really do not want to buy another set of arms, money is already getting tight on this project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,177 Posts
Send em back, they should fit better than that. I've seen shaker arms that fit way better than that.

That being said, I have a Roggy Ent. cross over arm on my dana 44. Beautiful piece of metal that sucker is. Fit perfectly. No clearance problems what so ever. Took a while to get it cause Roggy is a busy Mofo with comps and his own business, but well worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GloNDark said:
Send em back, they should fit better than that. I've seen shaker arms that fit way better than that.

That being said, I have a Roggy Ent. cross over arm on my dana 44. Beautiful piece of metal that sucker is. Fit perfectly. No clearance problems what so ever. Took a while to get it cause Roggy is a busy Mofo with comps and his own business, but well worth it.
Well I am mad about the arms, these are the second set of arms shaker has sent me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,177 Posts
lsloth said:
Well I am mad about the arms, these are the second set of arms shaker has sent me.
He seems like a pretty decent guy, I have faith he will make it right. Send him the pics and ask him what the deal is. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GloNDark said:


He seems like a pretty decent guy, I have faith he will make it right. Send him the pics and ask him what the deal is. :D
I shot him an email and in typical Shaker style he responded quickly. He recommend to just notch out the arm where its hitting and I should be good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,646 Posts
lsloth said:

I shot him an email and in typical Shaker style he responded quickly. He recommend to just notch out the arm where its hitting and I should be good to go.
Something about that just bothers me though. I'd be half tempted to get your money back and call Parts Mike. He was more than helpfull on mine, John's and also another friend build a Scout II. :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,177 Posts
Well I gotta say, I am pretty disappointed in that response. I mean I know this ain't rocket science, but after paying that much $$$ you would expect that you wouldn't have to modify something that shouldn't need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GloNDark said:
Well I gotta say, I am pretty disappointed in that response. I mean I know this ain't rocket science, but after paying that much $$$ you would expect that you wouldn't have to modify something that shouldn't need it.
I am dissappointed as well. I just want to get the steering done and done right so I can work on the rest of the swap process.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top