Pirate 4x4 banner

I am 14 and just bought a Willy's

16K views 106 replies 30 participants last post by  Mieser 
#1 ·
That was damn near 30 years ago. Time sure flies. Anyway, the Jeep started as a CJ3B that my dad built. He knew I wanted a Jeep for my first vehicle. He definitely took this into consideration when he decided on using an "Iron Duke" 4 cylinder and TH350 with 5.38 gears. It was quick but topped out at 60 going down hill.
Well, I made my payments and it was all mine before I turned 16.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I rebuilt and re-powered it a few times over the years, but you know how it goes. It was time to do it all again. The plan this time was to update everything and make it more capable and a little more comfortable. Those old Willy's are pretty cramped.
Here is a pile of parts I am starting with. It made my dad sad to see the old Jeep in this condition. The only thing left from the old 3B is the cowl section. I was never really a fan of the 3B, so I decided it will be a low hood this time around.

#3 · (Edited)
Originally, I had big plans to build a tube chassis. That changed after a lot of consideration. I decided to get two wrecked LJ frames from Daveys Jeeps. Why two? One was smashed on the driver side and the other on the passenger side. My goal was to make one from two.

I cut them both down and straightened them.

Once I had it all welded together, we had to do a little more tweaking.

#17 ·
My first vehicle was a 1948 CJ2A...I was 15. It's long gone now. :( After I blew and replaced 2 engines, I sold it when I was 17.

#64 · (Edited)

and I salvaged the floor of a Comanchee bed. I want the tub to look like it could be stock
I R sad.

I would have given you one to cut up to keep a rust free one intact.

I need to get over your way and get schooled, you're only an hour from me.

edit:
since that one's cut up, my 88 restoration project needs a lower bed corner. That radius right below the drivers tail light. Do you still have that parts bed?

#31 ·
#35 ·

Thanks, I don't know if it is a whole metric shit mile taller. I try to stay away from the metric system. The Jeep was originally a 3B. My thoughts were to have it as low as possible with the 39's. I kept the 3B cowl height and used the earlier 2a 3a style hood as kind of a Willy's "highline" conversion. At this point the only original body part is the cowl piece:shaking:

#41 ·
The front is narrowed 2" per side to allow full lock to lock steering. I also cut about 4" (I think) off the front of the frame.

I did not narrow the rear. I did cut at least 5" off the rear.

I think the LJ wheelbase is about perfect. Especially after driving Dustin and Becca's silver LJ and trying to follow my brother in laws LJ on the trail. Daveys had 2 wrecked LJ frames so I decided to start there. If he only had TJ frames, I would of stretched a TJ frame instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.