Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Hypertherm 380 plasma cutter a few days ago. Well my wife calls me at work and tells me a "big, heavy box" was delivered today so I quickly made up a bogus story and left work an hour early to go play.

After getting it all hooked up I cut my firt peice of scrap...and lo and behold they really DO cut through steel like a hot knife through butter!!! :eek: After writing my name in script :rolleyes: I decided to see how actually working with it would be so I made a difficult set of rockers with curved cuts for Stilgar and they came out great! This thing is awesome! I started to get tired, but I wanted to try something, so here is a free-hand cut based on the great decals Pfunk made for me:

Is that cool or what??!!
Here is the decal that Pfunk on this board made for me so you all have an idea of what I was trying to accomplish:

Ain't it great to be a little kid excited about a new toy? This was one expensive toy, though, but still a well spent Grand!

·
Registered
377 Posts
those are awesome

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've been using a friends plasma cutter for my rebuild this year,and they kick ass. Its amazing what they will do.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If this is your first plasma cutter, be sure to keep the tip clean. It makes all the difference in the cuts. I probably swap my tips out more often than I should just to keep a good, clean tip on there.

Have you tried it on 3/4" yet?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
indysand said:
It will never work out man. At some point she will burn ya, and cut ya to the bone.
:D
Phil
That is some funny shiat!:D Another guy posted something to that extent on another board, but that takes the cake.

The unit was $975 plus $25 shipping from Harris Welding Supply in Ohio, and I can't say enough about their service and shipping efficiency. it was less than 48 hours from order to delivery!:eek: For $25, I think that is damn good.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bulldozer said:
If this is your first plasma cutter, be sure to keep the tip clean. It makes all the difference in the cuts. I probably swap my tips out more often than I should just to keep a good, clean tip on there.

Thanks for the "tip". I will keep them clean and new. I have not tried 3/4" yet, since I have none around, but I am gonna get some scraps this weekend at the steel yard to play with.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
bulldozer said:

3/4"? That unit is rated to 3/8". Recommends 1/4", 3/8" max cut and 1/2" severance.

They are fun though :)

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My question is this: in the manual is says to keep a 1/16" gap between the material and torch, but I have also heard of people dragging the tip, what is the best way? I was under the impression that I only had to use the gap if I was close to the max cut thickness.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
zachv said:
My question is this: in the manual is says to keep a 1/16" gap between the material and torch, but I have also heard of people dragging the tip, what is the best way? I was under the impression that I only had to use the gap if I was close to the max cut thickness.
depends on the tip, there are tips designed to be drug. i would say call the place you got it from or the manufacturer and ask. i would say drag it because it make cutting easier. youll go through tips quickly if you leave too big a gap between the tip and material. they are nice to have though. is it 220 or 110?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
wait til you see all the little tabs, gussets and spring hangers you can make if you lay a straight edge down and run the wand tip along it:D:D i have the 380, itll do 1/4" easy with a fresh tip and a slow pass, itll go thicker but take a couple passes and get a little sloppy lookin....keep your air dry or itll make it all look sloppy...

mobil1syn, its 110 or 220:D

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mobil1syn said:
is it 220 or 110?
Yes.:D It is switchable between 110 and 220. I currently have it set up for 220.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
theyrenotBoogerWeldz said:
wait til you see all the little tabs, gussets and spring hangers you can make if you lay a straight edge down and run the wand tip along it:D:D i have the 380, itll do 1/4" easy with a fresh tip and a slow pass, itll go thicker but take a couple passes and get a little sloppy lookin....keep your air dry or itll make it all look sloppy...

mobil1syn, its 110 or 220:D
not bad, i had access to one when i bobbed my bed and i was nice to have. i wish i had it when i mad my flatbed. cutting diamond plate with a sawzall sucks big time. looks like ill have to start savin my pennies.

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
I just picked up a used Miller Spectrum 300 last week, and the guys at Barnes Welding here in Sac, CA, told me to maintain the 1/16" gap as well. It will cut cleaner and the tips will last longer was the reason, so I'd go with the manual. They ordered me a guide like this one for $20. They also recomended I get a good dryer/filter on the air inlet of the cutter

plasma standoff roller guide

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think it is thick enough??:D

BTW, I love your statement in your signature the best on this site. Can't we invade there after we get done with Iraq? They need a real leader.;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't like the drag tips they get boogered up fast what I found worked best was 2x2 angle its tall enough to only touch the plastic part of the torch and it leaves the perfect gap for cutting . that is on a hobart air force 750 so your torch/tips may be different. I also leave the amps all the way up and just move the torch faster or slower but thats just me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts