Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there much of an advantage to a d-44 or a toy axle? which one would you choose for your SAS, the dana 44 in question is off a waggy, i can get the whole running and driving truck for 400 bucks, 360, auto, d-20, etc. if this waggy has a front 44 is it worth it? figured i would part it out afterwards

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i would run a toy axel, if you don't want the extra width

they are cheaper (to build) and stronger(once built) and have better clearance

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
:rolleyes: Geezy peezy here we go again.

I believe that the stock 44 is slightly stonger than the stock 84-85 toy. I believe the toy with upgrades is much stronger than the stock 44. The toy has a much better diff setup - third member is much simpler, and the toy has a much harder gear case. The 44 has a very soft stock gear cover.

Personal experience is the toy axle is easier to work on, but the parts are much more expensive.

I have a 44 in works, but the Toy has held up so well, I think I may just rebuld the 44 and sell it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have been searching around for quite some time tonight and all arguments seem to lend to neither being that much better, i am having a hard time finding some technical points i am looking for, would the d-44 perches have to be moved? how much wider is the 44 gonna be?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
There are pro's and con's to each.

The 44 is wider and has a tighter turning radius.

The Toy steering joints can be upgraded cheaper than alloy shafts for a 44, aside from that, overall cost for either is a wash.

The Toy axle is probably easier to swap in just because it is "standard" and there are lots of bolt-on kits out there for it for steering, etc.

A waggy 44 will also have wider than Toy spring perches (unless you change them), so you may run into problems w/ larger tires hitting the springs when turning. A GM 44 might be a better choice, IMHO.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i got sick of reading after 3 so i posted, anyway i found out its a drivers drop oin the waggy i was lookin at, so i will continue to wait till i find a good deal on a toy axle
thanks
chad
:)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Would the d-44 perches have to be moved?
I give you an hour before Bones comes in and tells you not to outboard your springs to fit the Waggy 44 to the Toy frame. ;)

The problem is that you can't move the perches in cuz the right one is cast onto the diff (IIRC)... and if you outboard the springs to fit the current spring width, your tires will be all over the springs before full lock. :(

how much wider is the 44 gonna be?
Well, Toy is 55". How wide is a waggy 44? Probably 60-63ish? But you'll have no more room for larger tires.

If I were going to do a D44, I'd do it the way Erik did his: You get a wide Chevy D44, and noarrow it to use a waggy shaft. It ends up with the narrow Toy spring perch-distance. Loads of room for tires, and still wide:
http://home.off-road.com/~bibelheimer/sas.html

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Alabamatoy said:
Careful now, you'll have booger after us!!!
SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE! SEARCH NEWBIE!

...There, that should do it. :)

**Running really fast**

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
TNToy said:
The problem is that you can't move the perches in cuz the right one is cast onto the diff (IIRC)...
Yes and no. The perches are wider, but they CAN be moved in with some work. DSI did it on his a while back.
You've already got to spring it over, so you can do some grinding on the center section to move them in too. Its probably just as easy to get an empty GM housing and make it whatever width you want though, and then throw all the waggy outers on that...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts