Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's freakin sweet. I would say that for anyone that is limited on shop space or funds, it's a pretty damn useful setup. I could have built something myself, as most here could, but for the price, it's definitely worth it. The portaband has been nice to have around...I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner. Now with the table, it should be really nice. I cut a few test pieces and it works great. I bought the V3 revision with the removable legs, along with the remote foot switch. I already had a miter gauge. Thanks to Troy for the quick shipping. I will definitely be a repeat customer.

·
Vendor
1,855 Posts
I appreciate the feed back and will pass it along to our team members here in the shop. I was wondering how many more Portaband tables we could sell as I have been selling them for 3 years and advertise in the same places every year. Sooner or later I thought I would saturate the market, however the V3.0 is an instant success.

I'm glad the V3.0 is working out well for you.

Troy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Troy. The website was easy to use, the product is great and I love supporting the little guys that have a nice product. I honestly bought a portaband with the intention of buying your table. I have my eyes on the press brake too when I get around to finding room for a press.

·
Registered
246 Posts
does the saw weight make the front lip of the inner part slightly rize up right in front of the blade? i am going to have to bend the back tabs to level it out as i have a small lip right in front for things to catch on, just got mine set up and thats my only concern, probably off just from the weld heat

·
Vendor
1,855 Posts
If the saw sits a bit high in the front, that is die to welding distortion. Take a rubber mallet and hit the high spot on the removable center section. This will bend the bottom 1/8th" plate just enough that the saw table will sit flat. Our procedure is to test fit every Portaband table before it leaves the welding jig.

Thanks for the heads up.

Troy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine is fine. My only complaint has nothing to do with Swag. The miter gauge isn't very accurate. The saw blade is twisted to make the deep throat with the short band and it doesn't quite straighten out fully in the cutting area. Im sure with some tinkering I you can set it to cut straight.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine is fine. My only complaint has nothing to do with Swag. The miter gauge isn't very accurate. The saw blade is twisted to make the deep throat with the short band and it doesn't quite straighten out fully in the cutting area. Im sure with some tinkering I you can set it to cut straight.
having the same problem, been trying to figure out how to get that to cut more straight, doing it by hand instead of with miter seems to help a little
got any ideas Troy?

·
Vendor
1,855 Posts
having the same problem, been trying to figure out how to get that to cut more straight, doing it by hand instead of with miter seems to help a little
got any ideas Troy?
You definitely need to have an adjustable miter gauge, this will allow you to rotate your material a few degrees to it is perpendicular to the band saw blade.

As for part two of your question blade wondering and deflection is the inherent is the design of the Portabands, for this same reason I have never been able to create a chop saw attachment for these saws. I'm sure with a bit more blade tension a majority of the blade deflection could be eliminated, however I have never tore the saws apart and checked out how how this could be done.

Troy

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
I wish my old Black and Decker portaband would die so I would have a reason to buy a new saw...then one of these stands.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You definitely need to have an adjustable miter gauge, this will allow you to rotate your material a few degrees to it is perpendicular to the band saw blade.

As for part two of your question blade wondering and deflection is the inherent is the design of the Portabands, for this same reason I have never been able to create a chop saw attachment for these saws. I'm sure with a bit more blade tension a majority of the blade deflection could be eliminated, however I have never tore the saws apart and checked out how how this could be done.

Troy
thxs, i have adjustable miter but it's such a small amount i think it will be hard to compensate for that but i will try it and i will try and tighten the tension as well, not a really good tension set up imo with the throw arm etc...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts