Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well, damn. i gassed the yota around a corner and BANG! locker noise and shaking. i have 3/4 turn of the driveshaft b4 any resistance. how can i fix this? is it toast? can i buy parts? its a detroit locker. dont these have lifetime warrantys?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
well, before you say for sure it's the 'detroit' better pull the 3rd and see. EZ or soft locker? Couldn't be a ring and pinion could it? Any work done recently on the 3rd?

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
I'd pull the drain plug and see any debris drains out with the diff fluid. Raise both tires off the ground and check the operation of your locker.

I have over 1/2 turn in my drive shaft before engagement. They will sometimes "pop" as you drive. Makes you look in the rear view mirror to see if any parts are laying on the road!

You didn't state whether you had a full locker, or the "lunch box" variety.

I'd check these things (and maybe some low gear sand lot driving tests) before I'd worry too much.

HTH, and all is okay.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a true full locker. b4 i had about 1/4turn of driveline slop. now its almost 1 turn and when i drive forward it POPs every rotation and shakes or catches. i am pulling it out on tuesday and taking it up to gearman

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
dallas said:
its a true full locker. b4 i had about 1/4turn of driveline slop. now its almost 1 turn and when i drive forward it POPs every rotation and shakes or catches. i am pulling it out on tuesday and taking it up to gearman

Sounds like a ring or pinion to me but then again... I'm usually wrong.:p

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,972 Posts
I am a bit confused here... This is supposed to be a hard core off road board, but some of you would rather post back and forthat about what you *think* is wrong, when all he has to do it spend all of an hour pulling the diff out?

Just pull the diff out and SEE what is wrong, instead of debating the warranty of something you don't even know is broke :confused:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
DRM said:
I am a bit confused here... This is supposed to be a hard core off road board, but some of you would rather post back and forthat about what you *think* is wrong, when all he has to do it spend all of an hour pulling the diff out?

Just pull the diff out and SEE what is wrong, instead of debating the warranty of something you don't even know is broke :confused:

someones a little cranky today!

·
Registered
392 Posts
DRM said:

I've got to agree with DRM. Hope it doesn't hurt too much.
You've got to open it up and see what the problem is. I'm guessing R&P. If it is the locker, then yes they will probably take care of it.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Post a sound clip of it, I know the sound of broken R and P's well.:D I highly doubt you broke a rear Detroit especially if you're running 5:29s. They're fairly bulletproof in the rear, front's another story.
In the time it took you to post this worthless post you could have had it out and fixed, chop chop!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya, ya. well i woulda pulled it apart when it happened, except i went to work on a 72 hr shift and got mandated the next 2 days after that so i am just having my first day off since it happened. i just pulled it and looks like i munched my R&P so i guess, i'm off to gear mans shop!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.