Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these wheels a few years back and they were in rough shape then getting worse and worse as daily drivers. I'm looking to either find a new set and upsize from the 16" they are now to 18" or if there's a way to get all this crud out, I've tried everything I c
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

an think of...

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Total newb is 💯 correct, I have 2 sets, I bought neither. The easiest best way to clean those up and get rid of the rust is get a pack of sos pads that you’d use for cleaning pots and pans or your bbq. Get the ones with soap in them or you can use steel whoop with dawn dish soap. It’ll get rid of the rust and shine em up. Those were made by us wheel, ultra and a few other manufacturers.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Total newb is 💯 correct, I have 2 sets, I bought neither. The easiest best way to clean those up and get rid of the rust is get a pack of sos pads that you’d use for cleaning pots and pans or your bbq. Get the ones with soap in them or you can use steel whoop with dawn dish soap. It’ll get rid of the rust and shine em up. Those were made by us wheel, ultra and a few other manufacturers.
Thank you for giving me some tips on cleaning them.. i got them for next to free with a good set of bfg goodrich ko2's years ago. I was convinced they were part of the outlaw wheel lineup they look shockingly similar to outlaw 2 wheels but not 100%.. ( OUTLAW II )

· Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
45,040 Posts
They're polished aluminum... there isn't any chrome on them..
That is a cheap steel wheel. Ford had some OE that look similar but I don’t think they have the rivets. Tons of crappy aftermarket companies made them in the 80s.

They are 100% not aluminum. Go stick a magnet to one.

· blatant asshole
14,425 Posts
Alum dont brown rust.
Uless thats dirt.

I had alum wheels that looked like that. And they didnt brown/rust or have the obvious 2p construction.

· Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
45,040 Posts
Why does the center holes not show depth?
Looks like 1/8-1/4" thick not 3/4-1"+ thick like alum wheel are?
They look like shit cragars a friend of mine ran in 1989

· Premium Member
491 Posts
Not alum... I have one as a spare that's a beadlock. It was free and the beadlock is so thin I'm scared to even use it as a spare, good thing I've never needed a spare.

should be wrenching or wheeling but here I be

· Premium Member
491 Posts
You must be thinking they're these

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Rim

American racing outlaw or ar62
Ultra type 62

But they're some fashion of the series 97... US wheel or cragar modular 97 or American racing/ultra series 97

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

should be wrenching or wheeling but here I be

· Registered
378 Posts
I've had both sets of cheapo chrome steelies and the 2 piece alum ones. Got them off wrecker Ford's. The chrome ones. Barely worth beadblasting and painting . The alum ones....years of cheap break pad dust can turn rust colored ....does here on the island... Usually a power wash and polish cleans them up.
Either way... Alum or steel ones. Those things are butt ugly step children to a mullet-sporting Carol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts