Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 xj, turns right fine all the time. but try to turn left? a lot of times its like the power steering turns off and i cannot get the wheel to turn left. if i move forward or backwards i can strong arm it.

The tires do physically turn lock to lock. but on left turns there is no hydraulic assist from the power steering.

is it the box?
pump?
drag link?

put a new box on it last summer, didnt help, maybe made it worse.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had an identical issue with my F350. It was the steering box from NAPA. I was making a left hand turn and I felt a pop from the front end and that was all she wrote. I swapped in my old OEM steering box and issue solved.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
My steering did the same thing after a tough trail. My problem ended up being the steering box.

I rebuilt and honed the Saginaw box. It's been working fine ever since.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Its likely the box.

Try steering it in your driveway with the motor off. If Right & Left take equal effort then its something in the box. If Left is still more of a bitch then that points to something in the linkage.

Did this just suddenly begin to occur?

On old Chrysler Constant Control Steering boxes if a valve wasn't centered correctly the same would occur, or worse, the box would steer itself FOR you, in one direction.

Bucky

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Engine of tires up. Steers just fine. I guess I'll swap another box onto it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts