Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because I lack and any all motivation to finish trimming the top rails on my AK74 kit so I can test fit it all together then heat treat it.

Hell, maybe I should just buy a 100% receiver and slap it together so I can feel like I accomplished something :shaking:

I tried - but I guess it's just not my "thing" to get into building 'em.

I'll be packing up the jigs and sending them out on Monday, BTW for those who care :p

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Because I lack and any all motivation to finish trimming the top rails on my AK74 kit so I can test fit it all together then heat treat it.

Hell, maybe I should just buy a 100% receiver and slap it together so I can feel like I accomplished something :shaking:

I tried - but I guess it's just not my "thing" to get into building 'em.

I'll be packing up the jigs and sending them out on Monday, BTW for those who care :p
So your going to have some kits up for sale. :flipoff2:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So your going to have some kits up for sale. :flipoff2:
All I have left is one AK74 - already sold the other 3 kits I had.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,321 Posts
Yeah if you don't want to finish yours.. I'll take 'em. I've been considering another 74 here recently too... :D

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Agreed. Built two 47's and got tired of it. One was on a nodak reciever even... Meh. Still got 8 or so kits left too. :rolleyes: Too much of a pita for the "savings" and I have too much other shit to work on as it is.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
DRM, something to look into... Tapco's flats have the top rails already cut AND bent. I have 2 ak-builder flats sitting here that I'm planning on selling to someone so I can get the tapco flats, instead of worrying about the top rails.

And for all the people who are going to say how they won't fit perfect etc etc... You're always the same people who say "Fuck it, it's an AK" :flipoff2:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DRM, something to look into... Tapco's flats have the top rails already cut AND bent. I have 2 ak-builder flats sitting here that I'm planning on selling to someone so I can get the tapco flats, instead of worrying about the top rails.

And for all the people who are going to say how they won't fit perfect etc etc... You're always the same people who say "Fuck it, it's an AK" :flipoff2:
Yeah, but I already have 2 AK74 flats bent up, and 1 AK47 flat bent up.

Hell, maybe what I need is to find someone with an AK here locally that I can borrow so I have something to "look" at in this process besides pictures on the web. maybe that is part of my problem.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
DRM, something to look into... Tapco's flats have the top rails already cut AND bent. I have 2 ak-builder flats sitting here that I'm planning on selling to someone so I can get the tapco flats, instead of worrying about the top rails.:
They don't WORK. Forget 'not fitting perfect'. The damn rails are bent in the wrong spot (the reciever is 1/8" too tall) and the rails are trimmed far too much. The bolt rides too high, and has far too much slop to operate reliably. I can wiggle the charging handle almost 1/4" vertically, and that's building the gun with the lower rails so high the bolt almost won't slide into the front trunnion. It can't BE any tighter.

Go finish your AKbuilder builds. I cut my pre-bent POS tapco recievers up to de-mill the gun, and build it on an AKBuilder flat.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
my problem with gun building or getting seriously involved with an other hobby is it take too much away from my rig building, then I end up with a bunch of unfinished projects and get burned out. So I simplify it and only have one building hobby.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Yeah, but I already have 2 AK74 flats bent up, and 1 AK47 flat bent up.

Hell, maybe what I need is to find someone with an AK here locally that I can borrow so I have something to "look" at in this process besides pictures on the web. maybe that is part of my problem.
How much ya pay me to drag mine to Nashville and help you knock out a weld build in about 2-3 hours? You'll be kicking yourself for selling the 47 kits, then. First one took me most of a Saturday. Second one about 3 hours. Third will be much faster. ;)

If anyone wants to unload a Romy kit for a non-ludicrous price (remember, I know what you fawkers paid) let me know. ;)

·
Hophead
77,649 Posts
Yeah if you don't want to finish yours.. I'll take 'em. I've been considering another 74 here recently too... :D

I really need to get some parts and then come up and visit you sometime

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Come on up any time. I should be having some shiny new tools to play with soon... and I'm out of AK kits to use them on at the moment...

Good luck finding any at a reasonable price these days, especially the 74 kits. I have two and a half of those, and a 'few' 47s, then I will be done.

You finished with the bolt cutters? I am moved in, and ready to get one of these 5.45s running.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,321 Posts
Good luck finding any at a reasonable price these days, especially the 74 kits. I have two and a half of those, and a 'few' 47s, then I will be done.

You finished with the bolt cutters? I am moved in, and ready to get one of these 5.45s running.

Sure. :D Give me your address and I can swing by this weekend. Or if you're gonna be in my neighborhood, just give me a call.

I've been considering another 5.45 build as well...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts