Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get it running, and driveable today...no such luck.

It turns over, and almost starts to run, but doesn't...I think I need to get the computer diagnostic thingy...

I have spark, I have fuel, air is there...what else could it be??

Also, I tossed some 42's on this morning. They look too big to me. No uptravel. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more bad shot. I still think these 42's are too big for these volvo portals. 38.5 SX's are the alternative.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
if you have to ask you are way to scared to run 42's, better step down to the 38's till your balls fall from your mouth! jiMMy

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
it's not gonna fit under the garage door!:flipoff2:
fawk it, run em anyways.

definetly need to see some pics of the portals!!!!!:D

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
looks damn good

congrats

the 42's are awsome

just cut the fenders

i still love your cage

what about timing? You have TPI right
so maybe not

good luck

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
What engine are you running? I have a couple things to help if it is TBI or TPI... I have a sensor tester and a link to a laptop. It might work with Vortec too.

-brett

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brett....

It is a vortec. I am not sure if it will work, but I plan on calling the guy I bought my CRAZY wire harness from to start asking him questions. My O2 sensors are not hooked up yet, ...I don't think they would cause it not to start, but possibly run funny?

Anyway, I would like to make it to TDS on Friday. I have to get it running, and the front Brake lines replumbed.

Not sure I want to post pictures of the portals...you guys do some amazing work, and mine will look like sh!t to you guys! So if my "Balls drop" I will post some....

**********So, you guys don't think the 42's are too big for the portals???*******

OK, here is a picture with 35" tires... With the 42's, I have 18 inches of clearence to the pumpkin....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If the O2 sensors are not hooked to the proper sides, then it will run very poorly. The computer will be adjusting the wrong bank of cylinders, based upon the incorrectly connected O2 sensor(s). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
UHHHH THIS MAY BE WRONG, BUT I REALLY DONT THINK SO. ALOT OF PEOPLE TALK AS IF YOUR CENTER OF GRAVITY DOESNT GET HIGHER WHEN YOU GO TO BIGGER TIRES WITHOUT ANYMORE LIFT... UNLESS YOUR SUBSTANTIALLY WIDENING YOUR STANCE AT THE SAME TIME, LIKE GETTING NEW AXLES, OR BIG SPACERS OR SOMETHING, YOUR STILL GETTIN TIPPIER BECAUSE YOUR CENTER OF GRAVITY IS RAISED AND YOUR TRACK IS NOT WIDENED ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN THE OLDER RATIO...

JSUT THOUGHT I'D THROW THAT OUT THERE AFTER SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING LIKE "RUN THE 42'S MAN! THE LOWER THE BETTER"

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
rfrey said:
Anyway, I would like to make it to TDS on Friday. I have to get it running, and the front Brake lines replumbed.

I have a double flare tool if you need to borrow it...

-Brett

·
Registered
738 Posts
Are you running a GM computer? I can think of about a dozen problems that all have ez fixes when firing a new fuel injection engine for the first time. If you don't get it running, let me know.

BTW, your work looks great! Don't be worried about putting it out for all to see.

YOU'VE GOT PORTALS! PORTALS ARE COOL!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Proffitt, would you mind PMing me your number??? I would love talk to you about this thing...

Steering column is a 86 chevy blazer with tilt. Pretty cool, but the high low beams are on the floor :(

Wheel base is 98.5 inches and 83 inches wide. I peronally don't think they are too big for the rig...I could be wrong, but I think heighth and width wise, I should be good. The question should have been "Do you think these Volvo portals will support them?"

A couple more measurements...23" to under the frame rail, 18" under the diff! And about 83" to the top of the cage.

Now what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think the volvos will support them if you drive smart= not flooring it with two wheels in the air etc. I think the first thing you will break is a birfield so longfield them maybe a good idea.
Did you use the original spring preaches?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tell me what longfielding them is...I have head of it, how much does it cost? How will it benefit?

I made my own perches. the tubes are flat on the drivers side, and a little round on the passengers side...hard to explain, but they are not consistant...therefore I had to fab up some myself...not a real impressive job, but it will work.

OK, answer me this...if my up-travel is limited by the 42's, wouldn't it make more sense, from a functionality standpoint to go smaller???

·
Registered
570 Posts
FIXXXXAH said:
UHHHH THIS MAY BE WRONG, BUT I REALLY DONT THINK SO. ALOT OF PEOPLE TALK AS IF YOUR CENTER OF GRAVITY DOESNT GET HIGHER WHEN YOU GO TO BIGGER TIRES WITHOUT ANYMORE LIFT... UNLESS YOUR SUBSTANTIALLY WIDENING YOUR STANCE AT THE SAME TIME, LIKE GETTING NEW AXLES, OR BIG SPACERS OR SOMETHING, YOUR STILL GETTIN TIPPIER BECAUSE YOUR CENTER OF GRAVITY IS RAISED AND YOUR TRACK IS NOT WIDENED ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN THE OLDER RATIO...

JSUT THOUGHT I'D THROW THAT OUT THERE AFTER SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING LIKE "RUN THE 42'S MAN! THE LOWER THE BETTER"
You bring up a good point! the rig will be more tippy witht he 42s vs the 38.5s all things being the same. I guess what I ment by "the lower the better" was the lift. Id rather see a guy take a sawzaw to the fenders for clearance than lift it till it no longer rubs

1 - 20 of 67 Posts