Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 4runner to mechanic to replace clutch. I was stuck 150 miles from home. The dude backed my truck into another truck and put a big dent in my tailgate. He says he doesnt have insurance. He is going to have his friend fix it for me. I say NO WAY!! I finally send him a certified letter with three quotes $1260 and up. and threaten to take him to court. Now he has insurance. Im still trying to collect from this guy since last June.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
brocbronc said:
The dude backed my truck into another truck and put a big dent in my tailgate......I finally send him a certified letter with three quotes $1260 and up.
:rolleyes: Nothing like putting the little guy out of business for a $100 tailgate :mad:

·
Registered
34,184 Posts
Re: Re: I hate autoshops!!!!!

Bones said:

:rolleyes: Nothing like putting the little guy out of business for a $100 tailgate :mad:
I'd have done the same thing, Bones. 1. It's probably illegal for the guy to even run his business w/o ins. 2. It was the guys fault, and as a vehichle owner, the victim has the right to have the vehicle fixed where ever he/she wants.

Sucks if you are the "little guy", but the "little guy" should know better.

I had a shop working on my rig once - tuning in the 3.8/carb combo that was in it. They started the damn thing in gear, drove it into a 60's hot rod and a 25K scanner. Then bitched at me about not having a clutch defeat switch - it did, they pressed it. :) :)

Anyway, bottom line. It's the shops responsibility.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I agree that it is his fault and ins. should be held by him, but $1200+ for a tailgate come on! He's robbing him just to "teach him a lesson" is how I see it. OH maybe his had them bling bling gold emblems :p

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
How do you know if his buddy isn't Barris, Codington, Jessie James or Bertolucci's???? I got rearended in my VW, the guy said for me to follow him to his buddys body shop, ended up at Bertolucci's body shop in Sacramento where they not only fixed the rearend damage but relaced the bent front bumper and fixed the front fender from a pervious bout with a telephone pole and gave me a loaner car for a week and a half!!!!!:D

·
Registered
695 Posts
I know for my shop here in Pa, I have to carry $1,000,000 liability insurance to have the doors open.

I agree that the estimate for the gate is WAY high, considering the wonderful art of paintless dent repair these days. Even so, used gate and paint, $250.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I hated autoshops too until I found one in my town that is run by a former Toyota Mechanic. Guy was really cool. His son had a lowered 4runner with a v8 in it. Not my cup of tea but it was badass. Anytime i would have a minor engine problem I would run it up there and he would fix it for free. Then when i blew a headgasket i had no problem paying him to fix it.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
CHIT CHAT!

How is this tech?
If you signed an estimate, I am sure it contained a liability release anyway. Quit being a baby.

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
I think people are going off the deap end here.

If someone damages my vehicle, then I expect them to pay for the damages. They should have insurance for that anyway.

With my truck I probably wouldn't care... but if it were my car, there is no way Joe-Bob's cousin is doing body work on it and I insist on NEW OEM parts.

In this instance, I think the price quoted was ridiculous though...

Kind of hard to compare it to my truck though. My wife got rear-ended at 45 MPH by a Tiburon and there was only scratched paint on my hitch and a very fawked up Tiburon to show for it.

Even if someone did put a dent in it... I am expecting my truck to get dented on the trail so... tough call.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I admit the estimates are high in my opinion. The 1260 one was the cheapest one I had out of four. My thing is that I dont want this guy or any of his buddies to touch my truck again. I realize it was an accident but when I have a clutch replaced and have to pay $420 just for labor I expect my truck to be in better condition when I leave the shop then when I brought it in. Basically, the guy was blatantly careless. I watched him full throttle my truck in reverse into the other vehicle. Then he tells me he doesnt have insurance and now all of a sudden he does. Isnt that what insurance is for. If the tailgate cost me $250 to fix then I would be happy with that. When I went to pay the guy he wanted cash too. I should have checked out the truck before I gave him any money, but that is my fault. If he would have backed my truck into his vehicle, then Im sure he would have had insurance then.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Bones said:
Guess it's tie to learn how to turn a wrench and change the clutch yourself next time.
As my Grandpa says- "If I wanted an idiot to do it, I woulda done it myself and saved a few bucks"

Good ol Grandpa :D

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Didn't the exact same thing happen to somone else a few months back? Gettin' a serious feeling of dejavu here.

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
ForestCam said:
Didn't the exact same thing happen to somone else a few months back? Gettin' a serious feeling of dejavu here.
Dude, Every post I read is like dejavu :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
I would have changed your clutch for beer.:flipoff2:

Seriously, as a business owner you need liability insurance just becasue of circumstances like this. I had liability on my car audio shop and thankfully never used it.

I was always mindful of the fact that some stupid 16yo kid could pull out of my lot in a hurry, excited about his new system. He wouldn't notice a car pulling in, and WHAM! I get sued because it happened on my lot. Not my fault but legally it is my responsibility.

His lack of insurance or "in" with someone at a body shop isn't your problem. He has a responsibility to fix your car to YOUR satisfaction. End of story.

Hef

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hef said:
I would have changed your clutch for beer.:flipoff2:

Seriously, as a business owner you need liability insurance just becasue of circumstances like this. I had liability on my car audio shop and thankfully never used it.

I was always mindful of the fact that some stupid 16yo kid could pull out of my lot in a hurry, excited about his new system. He wouldn't notice a car pulling in, and WHAM! I get sued because it happened on my lot. Not my fault but legally it is my responsibility.

His lack of insurance or "in" with someone at a body shop isn't your problem. He has a responsibility to fix your car to YOUR satisfaction. End of story.

Hef
I agree but collecting the money and getting it fixed is a different story.

Bones said:
Guess it's tie to learn how to turn a wrench and change the clutch yourself next time.
I guess you bring your whole garage with you every time you go to visit your parents. I would have done it myself but it went out 150 miles from my house and I didnt have the tools to fix it at the time. It was fathers day weekend. "Happy Father's Day dad. Sorry I cant join you for the weekend but I have to work on my truck in your driveway.:)

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Maybe things are different where you live, but my friends and I have found subtle threats ("leaning on somebody") to work wonders. Scared people pay faster.

Might not work for you but it's an idea.

Hef

·
Registered
392 Posts
brocbronc said:
I admit the estimates are high in my opinion. The 1260 one was the cheapest one I had out of four.
depends, was it a fourunner or a PU?

[/QUOTE] My thing is that I dont want this guy or any of his buddies to touch my truck again. [/B][/QUOTE]
understandable.

I realize it was an accident but when I have a clutch replaced and have to pay $420 just for labor I expect my truck to be in better condition when I leave the shop then when I brought it in. Basically, the guy was blatantly careless. I watched him full throttle my truck in reverse into the other vehicle. Then he tells me he doesnt have insurance and now all of a sudden he does. Isnt that what insurance is for. If the tailgate cost me $250 to fix then I would be happy with that. When I went to pay the guy he wanted cash too. I should have checked out the truck before I gave him any money, but that is my fault. If he would have backed my truck into his vehicle, then Im sure he would have had insurance then. [/B]

Since you watched the guy back your truck into another vehicle you knew it was damaged. Does the clutch work properly?
I think I would have traded a free clutch job for a dented tailgate and called it a day.

Shit happens. Be polite, but forceful with
them and maybe it'll work out. Or you could go to court, which is not fun win or loose, and take your chances. Maybe if you come back to him with a reasonable estimate he would pay it.

This post is chit chat and I hope the moderators move it. If not, oh well...

BTW if the mods read this, thanks guys. It is a thankless job, so, I'm thanking you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts