Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a 3 spd transfer case that would work in a 74 fj40?

It's still up in the air as to if I have a four or three speed in mine currently. I guess 74 was the transition year? I've also been told that switching to the 3 spd would be the best option if mine is currently a 4spd. What's a fair price for a 3 spd transfer case?

:confused:

·
Registered
452 Posts
your post is full of questions

But you give very little info on your curent
situation.

I would start buy doing a lot of searching untell
you find a post that has pictures to help you
identify youre curent case.

why are you replaceing your case?

cost of case can very from 75$ for parts
and as much as 1500$ for the bilet case.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Land Crusher said:
Light travels faster than sound.
That is why some peopple appear
brighter than they are before they
speak.

I have not heard or seen a better quote! That is one I will remember...

·
Banned
471 Posts
Looking for a three spd case?

If you can tell me the production date that would give me more info. also, let me know what trans you have. 3spd or 4spd.
I can let you know tomorrow evening what i have if you can let me know by tomorrow morning (Friday). And I probably also have the conversion gear for the 4spd trans and a lower geared 3spd case if that is an option for you or anyone. And I have loads of
4 spd trannies. Let me know!!
Kruzrtek

E-mail me @ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
What do you actually need :confused:

Is the case broken or is it bad bearings or gears ? Or maiybe one of the shafts gave up ?

It's simple matter to pull the Transfer case and open up to take a look, maybe it'd be easier to rebuild the one you have rather that trying to locate another. Then when you get done you'll know exactly what you've got, a rebuilt transfer case:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got it at a shop at the moment and he's talking but the options/ rebuild or just put up another transfer case. He has a 3 spd transfer case that he wants $350 for. Is this reasonable is what I'm getting at.

He said the enternal are pretty much shot. The actual case is is good shape I gues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I need a 3 spd transfer case

Donald,

I have one on my garage floor taking up space. Can ship it out for $275 plus shipping from Roanoke, VA 24014

Direct email: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm interested in that 3spd case if Donald does not want it. what year is it from??

Travis

·
Registered
130 Posts
Okay. Donald has first shot - if I don't hear back from him. I will definitely let you know.

It is out of a 69. I haven't used it but it seems tight. I was going the SM420 / 3 speed route but found a H42 and a split case for my FJ40.

·
Banned
471 Posts
Regarding the 3spd case

I have or know where one is, the gear and bearing to put it behind a 4 spd trans. Oh, to the guy looking for the 3spd case,
I can get you a re-sealed good used complete case for about $650.00. Completely rebuilt for about $1200.00. You pay shipping. Any questions or help needed PM me.

·
Registered
452 Posts
if some one is going to sell you a complete
case for 350 and he is going to waranty it
for 30 days then buy it.

also get youre old case and parts back
you will be able to sell them.

I will give you 40$ for the old parts.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Land Crusher said:
if some one is going to sell you a complete
case for 350 and he is going to waranty it
for 30 days then buy it.

also get youre old case and parts back
you will be able to sell them.

I will give you 40$ for the old parts.
I've got a complete set of gears out of a three speed on the shelf they came out of a good case I recently parted out. A friend of mine needed the empty case. All the gears are in excellent shape, shafts are good too. I'd sell the lot for $50 plus whatever the shipping is.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LCCRUZRLVR I appreciate the offer! I think if I have to buy one I'll just pick up the one here for $350 to avoid shipping and other things.

Reddog if I've got a three speed TC already I'll ask my mechanic what our next move is and I might pick up your gears and stuff. That might work out really good, I'm just waiting on him to tell me if I've got a 4 spd case or a 3 spd case. I'll keep you guys posted on these parts and my left over stuff that you might want.

thanks again

Donald

1 - 15 of 15 Posts