Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok is tuesday and ill ask the dumb question and get flamed. if needs to be moved to newbe then so be it :flipoff2:

my rig is a 93ish full size ford that is more truggy then truck now. swapped the old small block out for a warmed up 429bbf. when i did the motor swap i also cut the frame and made it as narrow as i could for other fitment reasons but that ment i had to run a smaller rad. currently running a 28x19x3 2 core Northern Race aluminum rad. its not doing the job and need a bigger rad. im limited on width and height but can go thicker as have room out front. so question is am i better off going with a 4 inch thick 3 core, or same size i have now in a double or triple pass.

rather not swap to rear mounted as dont want to deal with the extra coolant lines ect

flame on :homer:

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
How about a taller rad that drops down between the frame rails? Like the diesels? Got room for that?

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Full race truck?
Can you add another radiator in the back and plumb it in series?

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Full race truck?
Can you add another radiator in the back and plumb it in series?
trail truck and trying to stay away from rear rad. ordered a new larger rad after looking last night i think i can rework stuff and make one fit. new rad is wider and thicker and a double pass so should cool better. with it being wider ill also be able to run dual fans if needed

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
trail truck and trying to stay away from rear rad. ordered a new larger rad after looking last night i think i can rework stuff and make one fit. new rad is wider and thicker and a double pass so should cool better. with it being wider ill also be able to run dual fans if needed
Second time you mentioned double or triple pass and more cooling. Does that actually improve cooling? Similar situation with my CJ, although I need to shroud the fan as well still. A double pass would work better with the LQ4 though.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Second time you mentioned double or triple pass and more cooling. Does that actually improve cooling? Similar situation with my CJ, although I need to shroud the fan as well still. A double pass would work better with the LQ4 though.
from what im been reading is that the double pass is like the name says, coolant passes through the rad twice. so should have twice the air flow over it and cool it better before coming out. down side is both the hose fitting are on the same side. i can made that work but wont be as clean looking. the rad i ordered is thicker core and large tubes as well so that and passing the coolant twice through the rad should help.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
the rad im running is already dropped down in the frame rail. i have room for a thicker rad only. thats why im asking about double/triple pass or 3 core
Merely covering the bases... not everybody with a gas OBS got that memo.

I've had rads re-cored to 3 or 4 row in the past, but copper & brass style, and had a rad shop do it. :homer:

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
from what im been reading is that the double pass is like the name says, coolant passes through the rad twice. so should have twice the air flow over it and cool it better before coming out. down side is both the hose fitting are on the same side. i can made that work but wont be as clean looking. the rad i ordered is thicker core and large tubes as well so that and passing the coolant twice through the rad should help.
might want to call a few radiator mfgs and ask, but as i recall when i asked about it the thermal efficiency of a dual pass was not significant increase to a single pass. surface area is what increases your ability to have heat removed. sounded like it was more for convenience when plumbing.

if you dont have one, an oil cooler as ditchpig suggested would help.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
might want to call a few radiator mfgs and ask, but as i recall when i asked about it the thermal efficiency of a dual pass was not significant increase to a single pass. surface area is what increases your ability to have heat removed. sounded like it was more for convenience when plumbing.

if you dont have one, an oil cooler as ditchpig suggested would help.
Which is what I was thinking - twice the passes, half the cooling area each pass. For me, the packaging is what I want (both on the same side), if it cools better, that's a bonus.

Others have said an oil cooler is a wash - that big of a difference?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Had the same issue as you: Tried a couple multi-pass radiators up to 27" and couldn't get the cooling I needed with a front-mount radiator. My hot 383 needed some help. More HP = more heat; just a simple law of physics that we can't avoid.

I gave in and went with a rear mounted 31" Speedway Motors radiator with a 2-speed Taurus fan and my problems were solved. I don't know if the 3" bigger radiator, larger fluid capacity, more surface area in the system, or combination of all of those fixed the problem; but the problem was finally fixed.

At the end of the day, going rear-mount may be the only answer to cool a buggy with lots of horsepower and limited space in the engine bay.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
the rad im running is already dropped down in the frame rail. i have room for a thicker rad only. thats why im asking about double/triple pass or 3 core
If you want double pass (same side). I cant see how triple vs single would be a solution.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Auto or standard tranny.

If auto and runs through coolant rad remove it and run separate tranny coolers. I run 3 stage tranny cooling, 2 heat exchangers one with fan and thermal bypass valves for warm up and 185f operating temp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts