Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
www.auctionzip.com

I have two wiltons and one reed vice all bought at auctions. $40 for a 5" wilton stationary attached to a nice metal table. $15 for a 4.5" swivel base wilton and $10 for a 5" monster reed vice.

If you need something now buy a cheapie but be on the lookout for a nice one. You have to be patient, I have seen lots of vices sell at auctions for high prices including chinese junk. Just look for local auctions close to you and not specifically tool auctions because prices are always higher at those auctions. Sometimes you'll get lucky.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Digging this up, I recently moved my workbench and needed a quality vise on the other side of it. I searched the web and ordered up a Wilton Tradesman 6.5" (1765).

Found it at Mile-X.com for $350 plus shipping. Shipping was just under $50, which I didn't consider obscene considering it was a 73lb package. So for a few bucks under $400 it was at my door.

Northern, Rutland and MSC all ask $500 (allegedly on sale) for this same unit plus shipping, so $350 plus shipping seems like a really good deal.

I received the vise no hassle.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Digging this up, I recently moved my workbench and needed a quality vise on the other side of it. I searched the web and ordered up a Wilton Tradesman 6.5" (1765).

Found it at Mile-X.com for $350 plus shipping. Shipping was just under $50, which I didn't consider obscene considering it was a 73lb package. So for a few bucks under $400 it was at my door.

Northern, Rutland and MSC all ask $500 (allegedly on sale) for this same unit plus shipping, so $350 plus shipping seems like a really good deal.

I received the vise no hassle.
That's the same one I linked to on amazon $382 shipped
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XPVI?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=msnshop-tools-20&linkCode=asn

:)

I ended up getting two Vises from: http://www.redmondmachinery.com/
Well 3, but the 3rd is tiny, and I do use it!

I got 3 from them for $301 shipped :eek:

1. http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,945.html It went up in price... I paid $175 :flipoff2:

2. http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,866.html again went up I paid $32

3. http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,860.html again went up I paid $6 :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I actually use #3 alot and wish I would have gotten a couple of them. They are NOT strong for ponding but they are so tiny you can leave them and not work 'around' them and weld and grind on them easily. They have their purpose and for $6 I use the shit out of it.

Looks like you can still get the deals I got but end up paying about 100 or so more, but still a kickass deal for what you get!!!

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Vices that have handles that almost whack ya in the balls when you spin them around are the only ones I consider having.
Look for Reed vices, they arent cheap but they are worth every penny. I use one at work everyday and its been around for a LONG time, still works great.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I meant it's not like a damn sheetmetal fridge that you can look at wrong and it gets dented.

I'm a big fan of post vises. Here's the best pic of the one i use to use at shortbus's shop.

Used to use it for crude bending of 1/4" with the sledge before we made the brake.

Best vise I've ever used. Wish i could find one for myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Am i the only one who finds a scratch and dent HD vise amusing/confusing? How do you scratch or dent a vise?
They were in in perfect condition.

I`m guessing it may be due to paint chips or a nick... nothing mechanically wrong.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
They were in in perfect condition.

I`m guessing it may be due to paint chips or a nick... nothing mechanically wrong.
x2

I have the same as your #2, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Maybe the syran wrap protecting all the grease on the slide had a tear in it? :laughing:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cheap vices break. I have a wilton 508 the big mama, opens 12in best thing since sliced bread. Before I get the thats a $1500 vice banter, It was bought off ebay from a guy in ga who rebuilds vices For $250-300 its been a few years. Damn things got to be from the 60's so they last awhile. Only prob is shipping one of those bastards 150lbs aprox. If you are beating on it get a leg vice you will break just about anything else, my leg vice is out of the Marrathon Motors factory in Nashville(closed in 1914) works like a champ. Buy quality and use it for its intended purpose and tools will last several generations.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
The ONLY vise I used to by was a Wilton. But hell, I see them sold everywhere now. Are the new ones just as good as they used to be, or as quality suffered? I have two big Wiltons, ones thirty years old, and one is only ten. Both have had the shit kicked out of them and just laughed.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The ONLY vise I used to by was a Wilton. But hell, I see them sold everywhere now. Are the new ones just as good as they used to be, or as quality suffered? I have two big Wiltons, ones thirty years old, and one is only ten. Both have had the shit kicked out of them and just laughed.
Two lines of wiltons these days. Just buy the spendy ones.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Two lines of wiltons these days. Just buy the spendy ones.
Now see, I started to wonder if that was the case once I started to see them at the home depot stores. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
There is more than two.

Yep, everytime I think I have it figured out I see another line of Wilton vises. There's at least: Shop, Mechanic, Tradesman, Machinist and Combination. Pretty much in order of cost/quality, except I'm not sure if Shop or Mechanic is the lowest.

If it's got a square body/slide bar, stay away. Round slide = quality

21 - 40 of 155 Posts