Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am requesting everyones help to reopen a critical part of my local trail system.

Please go to the link below and post a quick comment requesting that the trails be repaired and reopened for motor vehicles and stress the importance of vehicle access to our national forests.

https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public/CommentInput?Project=50298

The Story-

In 2009 some of our local forest roads were closed due to fire and subsequent flooding the washed out several portions of the roads. The roads provided important access to a more extensive network of ohv trails and campsites beyond it.

Fast forward to 2017, 8 years later the trail is still not open. We have waited patiently for the forrest rangers to conduct their ecological surveys etc, ect.

Finally they just proposed a "restoration project". I was so excited when i saw this thinking they were finaly going to reopen our trails after 8 years. However i was shocked when i started reading the project proposal and their proposed solution was not to repair or re open the trails but to instead close them permanently to motorized vehicles and reclassify them as non motorized use only!!!

To add salt to the wound, they are also proposing to decommission/close several campsites that have nothing to do with the damaged roads!

What this really boils down to is the environmentalists do not want to disturb the environment in anyway, that includes repairing or building new roads. and of corse they would love to close down the forrest to off roaders and campers.

Please Help!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you! I really appreciate it. I hope more people follow.

Part of the problem is that most people have no idea this is even going on. The ranger district does nothing to let people know so unless you are constantly searching their website for information you would have no idea this was happening. If no one knows and no one comments then they will go ahead and close all the trails!

In case anyone was wondering, these trails are located on the Central Coast of CA in the Santa Lucia ranger district, part of the Las Padres National Forrest. We have very few OHV trails around here so keeping the ones we have is extremely important.

I want to be able to take my kids camping some day at the same places my dad took me, however if they succeed in closing this down, that is not going to happen.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
You are screwed, They rarely "re-open", Remember this next time the local land manager asks for input as to what trails should remain open, once the trail is in the "inventory it is Totemed for closure and it will happen...

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You are screwed, They rarely "re-open", Remember this next time the local land manager asks for input as to what trails should remain open, once the trail is in the "inventory it is Totemed for closure and it will happen...
I know, its definitely is not looking good. but i am not going down without a fight. Or at least letting them know what a disservice they are doing to us. The more people that comment, the more they will see that the public does care about their rights to access public lands.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Luck. Wheel it while you can.
It has been closed for the past 8 years while they conducted "environmental impact reports" on what it would take to repair the washed out portions of the trail. Now they released their proposed "restoration plan" and the plan is simple to close it permanently and change it to non motorized access only.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Like it's been in here mentioned before "Tooth and Nail for every Trail", losing 1 trail makes it easier to lose many more.
Gotta let our voice be heard no matter where the trail is.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
If the F.S. is unwilling to do what's needed to reopen the current routes, push them to provide an acceptable re-route. Offer volunteer help and suggest that they submit a grant request next year from the OHMVR Division grant program to cover costs.

Ride on
Brewster
CORVA

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the F.S. is unwilling to do what's needed to reopen the current routes, push them to provide an acceptable re-route. Offer volunteer help and suggest that they submit a grant request next year from the OHMVR Division grant program to cover costs.

Ride on
Brewster
CORVA
Thanks for the advice. Also, if anybody is involved with any 4x4 groups, particularly in CA i would appreciate if you share this info with them in case they want to get involved or can at least spread the word. We need all the help we can get!

·
4X4 HACK
2,970 Posts
Done.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Over a year after the Forest service submitted their proposed action to close down all of these trails, they have re submitted 4 new alternative plans thanks to the public outcry to keep the trail system open. One of the plans, Plan # 3, is to reopen all the trials to the original status before the fire and flood. This is what we want!!! they just opened up a 30 day public comment period on the proposed plans.

Please go to this link and submit a quick comment in favor of plan # 3

thanks!!

https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public//CommentInput?Project=50298

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks!

It is pretty exciting / encouraging to see that the Forrest service is actually listening to the public opinion. I am very hopeful that thanks to everyone comments, we might actually see this trail system once again open.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts