Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
base info 89 wrangler..
motor 302 ho
tranny np 435
case np205

sup. 3.5 rubicon express spring over
14 rear shaved with aa weld on disc conv.
ford 44 front with chevy outters..
gears im lookin towards 5.38s or in that area..

not 100% sure on tires as of yet.. in the 38-40 range tho.

possibly looking at runnin soa not sure if taht will do any good for my set up.. so please guys tell me what ya think.. will this set up work any unforseen problems im looking at.? i apperciate ever ones response.. (yes even the dumb ass ones im sure to get) and no its not a ju question.. its a pbb question.. i respect most on this board .. for most that ive needed help with have come out and done a great job. just looking for the lil things i may have over looked thanks ..

payton..

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Hmmm....

Three things that I see.

1. I don't believe that you can get 5.38's for the 14 bolt. I thought the lowest was 5.13's? I could be wrong though.

2. 3.5" Lift springs AND a springover? For 38-40" tires? I think that's a little excessive! Check out this thread, asking about 44's and a YJ. 44's and a YJ You want to keep your CG as low as possible, and there's no reason you can't if you just use CJ7 HD springs and get out the sawzall.

3. Oh, and I agree about the 44. If you are going 38's, yea maybe. Anything bigger, and I think you'd be better off with a 60.

Out

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If you go 3.5 RE and SOA your going to have some serious driveline angle to deal with - especially with the long 14Bolt in the rear. You might want to look at that before you get much further. It would sure suck to get it together and then realize you don't have enough room for a rear shaft!! Or that you need some $600.00 custom/funky shaft :(

Also ditch the D44 if your going over 35/36" tires.

Not what you wanted to hear but... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
my buddy used-to run a 2.5 rancho spring SOA on a cj7, and
it's a good height. 1 more inch is nothing. (this is a daily driver)

the 44 doesn't sound compatable with 38's though. the np439
302 combo is short enough. but the 205 case is big. d-line angles
might be a bit steep. need a rear CV for sure.

--SHerpa

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes im looking at stretching the wb to roughly 105 inchs.. and the front 60 is well im on the search this hill jack down teh road from me has 3 of them.. but wont sell them.. casue he says ya never know when i will need them.. he dont care bout the price.. hesa pack rat.. so im on the look out.. gotta make sum calls to day.. so the 44 is what ive got currently.. so thats what i gotta run. yeah i realize it may not handle the 38-40s for long.. but its what ive got.. so till i get the 60 the 44 willl have to work..
keep the comments coming.. i really do appericate the time each of ya took to reply to me. and help me see different point of views thanks agian

payton..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
and the front being a 44 I guess he hasn't had much luck in locating a 60 as of yet that was the intial plan build what ya got now and upgrade down the road
You should try to hold out for the 60- even if you have to pay a little too much for one or travel a long ways to get it, you will still save money and effort in the long run only having to build one front axle.

I've seen lots of people do the 44 then 60 thing (including me).I guess if you already have a geared and lockered 44 you won't be wasting any money...But if not...take the money you'll save on gears and lockers and buy one off the board here- I see them all the time.(isn't jaffer trying to sell a ford 60?)

I was told that 5.13 was the lowest you could go with a RC 44 :confused:Second hand info, though.

·
5,729 Posts
Just my $ .02. On my Jeep, I was set for D44 front, but with me running 38" tires, we decided that D44 won't hold up. So I'm upgrading to a D60. I don't wanna spend my whole weekend changing axles. GO D60!!!

Jen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts