Pirate 4x4 banner

641 - 660 of 1757 Posts

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
I always thought getting over the DT's was the hard part,i was wrong its not drinking thats the hardest.sorry to ramble on but i just find it amazing that other folks have been able to quit.
Yep, it's as much a psychological addition as anything

Maybe some day when I'm good a liquored up, I'll tell you how much of a cunt my sister is being in the TP. I'm not contesting my mother's will, I'm contesting my sister's ability to be the executor.
If you have to get drunk, I'd prefer not to hear it.
If you can tell it sober and want to get it off your chest, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yep, it's as much a psychological addition as anything
I agree with this statement.

Last weekend was week 10 or 11 that I have been sober. I have reached the place that I am not really counting anymore. I went tonight to help work on my dad's 67 Nova and my brother and my dad both had several beers and I didn't even think to ask for one.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
So.....had a great '15. Sober for oh I don't know 7-8 months. Then around the holidays started dabbling a bit. Totally under control right - wrong. Anyway, fell into old habits.

Now I could say it's because of this or that. But truth is - I fucking like it! My life compared to some here is bliss. No major drama or stresses. So I don't believe I'm hiding from anything or drowning any great sorrow. Just like it....

So one morning, my wonderful wife and I get up like normal and the first words out of her mouth were "I'm very worried about how much you're drinking" Now I'm a big guy in personality and size. Very few people confront me. But that moment changed me. I've never felt so weak. The only response I could muster was "i am too. Thank you for saying something" And that was it. Conversation over.

That morning I emptied the cupboard and started again. That was 26 days ago. I struggle daily. But it's worth it. I never want to worry her again.....

·
IMA BUM
3,258 Posts
If you have to get drunk, I'd prefer not to hear it.
If you can tell it sober and want to get it off your chest, I'm all ears.
No need for the liquor it won't help anything at all.
No drinking here. Just couldn't find the appropriate "sarcasm" smiley. I was just venting.

Frustrated, but all is good!!! :smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
So i read through a little of this thread and thought it was great..ill read it all tonight.i just felt like posting in the hopes i can gleen a little help from folks that have been able to quit.

I always thought getting over the DT's was the hard part,i was wrong its not drinking thats the hardest.sorry to ramble on but i just find it amazing that other folks have been able to quit.
After a lot of years of hard drinking and all the wreckage that comes with it I noticed that the bad stuff always happened when I was drinking.

So I got up one morning and decided not to have a drink that day. I did the same thing the next day too. That was 26 and 1/2 years ago. Not a drop since that first day.

I've had a lot of shitty stuff happen since then but I never had anything bad enough happen to think a drink would help make it better.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
I have been following this thread on and off. It has made me realize how much beer has been a part of my life.

Actually had a conversation with the gf the other day about stopping drinking for a while.

4/11 I have a court date which if all goes well will start the beginning of my PTI. Non drinking related stuff, but more or less the jist of it boils down to I pretty much can not get in any trouble for a year. Should be easy, because aside of this one incident I have made it 33 years without getting in trouble.

Either way I have realized that the only way I could possibly get in trouble would be drinking related, and think that I am going to lay off the sauce for the probation period.

I never feel I 'need' a drink, but I find myself falling into occasions where drinking is what happens.

Still not sure if I will do it, or if I CAN do it, but I think i need to at least attempt it.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
3 days. today is the 4th morning. But I haven't been 100% sober 3 days in a row in maybe 10-15 years. I honestly don't know.

I almost had myself convinced that It was not possible for me to fall asleep with out 4 beers in me unless I was exhausted.

What I don't want to do is celebrate. I am really wondering if I can wake up Sat AM being one more day away from a week. I wonder if I can get through watching survivor tonight with out saying fuck it and drinking.

now I am wondering if I should be in the TP, shits embarassing and I know Ive got friends/acquaintances reading.

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
So one morning, my wonderful wife and I get up like normal and the first words out of her mouth were "I'm very worried about how much you're drinking" Now I'm a big guy in personality and size. Very few people confront me. But that moment changed me. I've never felt so weak. The only response I could muster was "i am too. Thank you for saying something" And that was it. Conversation over.

That morning I emptied the cupboard and started again. That was 26 days ago. I struggle daily. But it's worth it. I never want to worry her again.....
Sounds like you've got a great woman, and a great reason to stay sober. :)
You got this.

No drinking here. Just couldn't find the appropriate "sarcasm" smiley. I was just venting.

Frustrated, but all is good!!! :smokin:
OK! Hang in there, mang

Long story short. I wrote out a novel of a post to a member on here but I am sure none of you all want to read my disertation on how I hit rock bottom. Cliff notes:
But I have got to get sober and stay sober. I made it through my first day. Going to AA tomorrow. One day at a time. Looking forward to reearning my 24 hour chip.
Damn. :(

Keep talking.
Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

You can do it.

3 days. today is the 4th morning. But I haven't been 100% sober 3 days in a row in maybe 10-15 years. I honestly don't know.

I almost had myself convinced that It was not possible for me to fall asleep with out 4 beers in me unless I was exhausted.

What I don't want to do is celebrate. I am really wondering if I can wake up Sat AM being one more day away from a week. I wonder if I can get through watching survivor tonight with out saying fuck it and drinking.

now I am wondering if I should be in the TP, shits embarassing and I know Ive got friends/acquaintances reading.
Do what you have to do. Celebrate or don't celebrate if you think it will help. Some people like to celebrate each milestone that they've been sober; others don't want to count time like that. Everyone is different.

Survivor? Eww...that would certainly drive a person to drink! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Do what you have to do. Celebrate or don't celebrate if you think it will help. Some people like to celebrate each milestone that they've been sober; others don't want to count time like that. Everyone is different.

Survivor? Eww...that would certainly drive a person to drink! :flipoff2:
celebrate to me, = intentionally getting drunk

I don't want to celebrate. I want to feel like I accomplished real moderation for a long period of time, weeks would be nice, months would be winning. To me that moderation would mean. social drinking that does not result in a drunk or last all day, being able to not social drink and not care about it,not drunk every weekend, not drinking most weekdays.

Making a week proves I can make the choice.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Admitting that you have a problem is embarrassing? Millions are addicted to alcohol, it is THE single most destructive drug on the planet.

If they truly are your friend they will reach out.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I don't get the whole "post in the TP" deal. If you can be apart of this thread don't hold back.
Sometimes details that can be publicly read could get people in trouble. Especially in a situation where an inheritance or law gets involved.

Ive done shit in my life that I would NEVER post on a public forum. It's called prudence.

he is simply being cautious about this portion of his story. The rest of it is in here to read.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
This is me:

Now I could say it's because of this or that. But truth is - I fucking like it! My life compared to some here is bliss. No major drama or stresses. So I don't believe I'm hiding from anything or drowning any great sorrow. Just like it....

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I don't get the whole "post in the TP" deal. If you can be apart of this thread don't hold back.
I don't understand your point or question. TP is less public and more comfortable to be open.

Admitting that you have a problem is embarrassing? Millions are addicted to alcohol, it is THE single most destructive drug on the planet.

If they truly are your friend they will reach out.
Depends on the problem.

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
celebrate to me, = intentionally getting drunk

I don't want to celebrate. I want to feel like I accomplished real moderation for a long period of time, weeks would be nice, months would be winning.
Gotcha. Well, then, keep it up so one day we can look back on your accomplishment.

To me that moderation would mean. social drinking that does not result in a drunk or last all day, being able to not social drink and not care about it,not drunk every weekend, not drinking most weekdays.

Making a week proves I can make the choice.
It took me a LOONNNG time to feel that I would be OK trying alcohol in moderation (like 2.5 years). I've mentioned it before in this thread, but for the sake of honesty and disclosure, I am not "sober" right now as in zero alcohol, but I can now drink in moderation. I can have a beer, or no beers, and it doesn't matter. I HATE getting drunk and I abhor being hung over. It is a waste of life. A six pack will last me 2-3 weeks. I maybe have 2 on a Saturday. Maybe split one during dinner one night with my wifey. Next week or weekend I might not have any. I wish this is how it had always been for me, but I guess I had to go too far to find out where the line was.

641 - 660 of 1757 Posts