Pirate 4x4 banner

661 - 680 of 1758 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
LOVE it how many people are taking a shot at giving up the bottle. Just awesome. Congrat's and best wishes to everyone.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I always here about rock bottom,but it seems to me when i get there i just decide to dig a little deeper.alcohol for me has been in the past and still is to a slightly lesser extent now all consuming in my life.everything i do revolves around it. I have done really bad things to people in the past ,severely hurt others.ive seen 2 of my friends die in front of me from drinking ( i used to ride freight trains any got drunk and took a wrong step).ive put my wife through hell and last year she almost gavd up on me.

So i say all this because i hear alot of people say you have to hit bottom.well ill be damed if i havent seen it,but still my mind justifys the drinking.my mind will never let me blame alcohol for horriable shit ive done,said,and seen.i hear not so great news from my doctor and still i try and figure a way around the problem,because the problem is alcohol and the solution is to put down the bottle. So im sure someone has gone through the lieing and convincing yourself that its ok.the logic part of my brain knows i need to stop,but the sneaky lieing side will convince it that its all bullshit.

Is it like this for many of you that have quit?do most people hit this bottom before deciding to quit?

·
Bug Nerd
7,167 Posts
Is it like this for many of you that have quit?do most people hit this bottom before deciding to quit?
Based on my life experience with booze, reading the Big Book and going to AA throughout the years…. rock bottom is different for everyone. And some people don't necessarily have a rock bottom. But it is a common theme.

For me it was staying with a violent, abusive alcoholic woman who ended up hitting me with her car at 30mph in a drunken rage. And I kept drinking for 3 weeks after that. I can't go back. I'm done.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
I always here about rock bottom

do most people hit this bottom before deciding to quit?
Do you know when you've hit the bottom of the hole you're digging?

It's when you set the shovel down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was the same way as Erich said above. Rolled my truck and got ejected out the sunroof. Then rolled a girls car with my best friend an his wife in the back seat. Lucky to have walked away from both with nothing more than scratches. Hurt me a lot inside and still didn't make me stop. Kept drinking harder to try to forget what I had done an almost killed myself an then almost them to. IV done some very stupid things in my life and I'm only 25. It's hard to admit to myself that I had a problem as I didn't think I did or just didn't care enough about myself as I should have. But today is day 6 and I'm holding in there.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I was the same way as Erich said above. Rolled my truck and got ejected out the sunroof. Then rolled a girls car with my best friend an his wife in the back seat. Lucky to have walked away from both with nothing more than scratches. Hurt me a lot inside and still didn't make me stop. Kept drinking harder to try to forget what I had done an almost killed myself an then almost them to. IV done some very stupid things in my life and I'm only 25. It's hard to admit to myself that I had a problem as I didn't think I did or just didn't care enough about myself as I should have. But today is day 6 and I'm holding in there.
Ok - this is kinda a judgement free thread but bro you are fucking up and need to stop.

You are going to kill someone.

It is great that you haven't drank in 6 days but I think you need a bit more help than just that.

Please go to AA or something.

Sorry bro, not being a dick, just being honest.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I always here about rock bottom,but it seems to me when i get there i just decide to dig a little deeper.alcohol for me has been in the past and still is to a slightly lesser extent now all consuming in my life.everything i do revolves around it. I have done really bad things to people in the past ,severely hurt others.ive seen 2 of my friends die in front of me from drinking ( i used to ride freight trains any got drunk and took a wrong step).ive put my wife through hell and last year she almost gavd up on me.

So i say all this because i hear alot of people say you have to hit bottom.well ill be damed if i havent seen it,but still my mind justifys the drinking.my mind will never let me blame alcohol for horriable shit ive done,said,and seen.i hear not so great news from my doctor and still i try and figure a way around the problem,because the problem is alcohol and the solution is to put down the bottle. So im sure someone has gone through the lieing and convincing yourself that its ok.the logic part of my brain knows i need to stop,but the sneaky lieing side will convince it that its all bullshit.

I freely quit smoking cigs, eating sweets, doing opiates, amphetamines and hallucinogens, on my own, with no help from anyone, after years of abuse. You don't have to hit rock bottom, just understand that you need to be happy with your life, and as healthy as possible. That's the whole point of living.

I still love my beer and drink every night, but I love my life as well and can't imagine ever changing it in anyway.

It's your life, your call, make yourself happy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok - this is kinda a judgement free thread but bro you are fucking up and need to stop.

You are going to kill someone.

It is great that you haven't drank in 6 days but I think you need a bit more help than just that.

Please go to AA or something.

Sorry bro, not being a dick, just being honest.
none taken, I know iv fd up and I know im completely stupid but im changing my ways. its been a long hard road and im finaly admitting to myself I have a problem and am working on getting myself clean and better. thanks

·
IMA BUM
3,258 Posts
Nope!

My problem is that I eat a lot of opiates.

I'm trying not to drink because if I am drinking, and something happens that I need to pop a pill, I either have to suffer, or risk dieing in my sleep.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
none taken, I know iv fd up and I know im completely stupid but im changing my ways. its been a long hard road and im finaly admitting to myself I have a problem and am working on getting myself clean and better. thanks

Cool, a friend of mine flipped a car drunk.

He is thankful every day that he lived and uses it to be strong.

He still drinks but much more responsibly than he used to.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I am moderation hunting. If I gain confidence in my self control and boost my comfort level with being sober at night and sober at social events.. I am hoping it will slowly become easier for me to be ok with not drinking daily. on day 4... its just really weird right now. Its not normal or comfortable.

But what does 3, 3 finger glasses of bourbon gain me on the weeknights? So far the only thing I am missing is my comfort level.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
5 Days. Went fast besides one night. In 14 Years this is a first. At this point I don't even want a beer, but I am sure that is situational and will change. I haven't really felt slow a single morning and I am getting more done around the house in the evenings. I assume my wife has noticed by now, but she knows me. She won't say anything, she will just see how it goes and wait for me to bring it up. or she will ask a single question and then not bring it back up.

I am waking up 2 hours earlier than normal and having some weird ass dreams. I'd prefer the 2 hours of sleep.

The weekend will be interesting. The only reason I don't want a beer is because I am now intrigued to see if I can go a weekend.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
5 Days. Went fast besides one night. In 14 Years this is a first. At this point I don't even want a beer, but I am sure that is situational and will change. I haven't really felt slow a single morning and I am getting more done around the house in the evenings. I assume my wife has noticed by now, but she knows me. She won't say anything, she will just see how it goes and wait for me to bring it up. or she will ask a single question and then not bring it back up.

I am waking up 2 hours earlier than normal and having some weird ass dreams. I'd prefer the 2 hours of sleep.

The weekend will be interesting. The only reason I don't want a beer is because I am now intrigued to see if I can go a weekend.

That's kind of how it started for me. I went a week then wanted to see if I could go a weekend then wanted to see if I could go a month.

Now I only drink when there is a reason to do so.

661 - 680 of 1758 Posts