Pirate 4x4 banner

761 - 780 of 1758 Posts

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
I didn't see DWT's post, but in no way was I trying to rub it in that I was able to drink. That's not how I meant for it to come across - the point that I was attempting to make was that I went from an every night drinker to where I can now make that choice when I'm doing to drink. I remember reading about that when I was drinking every night and didn't think that would ever be me.
Search back in the thread. Truth: I've made similar comments about my own drinking. I'm not entirely sure they fit in this thread.

yotasmob, it is an even worse taboo than mental illness, because drinking in itself is the most socially acceptable vice we have in our country. (Or maybe #2 after overeating).

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
When I used to drink a lot, I would switch to water towards the end of the night, you know, to flush out my liver. It was all a charade. The problem was that I drank too much to begin with. Tapering off didn't work for me or if it did, it was only temporary. Abstinence was the only thing that worked.
Man, I don't miss hangovers at all.
Same here, DO NOT miss the hangovers at all.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Checking in here. I can't remember the last time I was sober on Christmas, but the family seems to prefer it too. Mornings are much better, don't miss hang overs at all.

Last week was two months without a drink.

Merry Christmas all.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Checking in here. I can't remember the last time I was sober on Christmas, but the family seems to prefer it too. Mornings are much better, don't miss hang overs at all.

Merry Christmas all.
Woot! Awesome.

·
Bug Nerd
7,167 Posts
yotasmob, it is an even worse taboo than mental illness, because drinking in itself is the most socially acceptable vice we have in our country. (Or maybe #2 after overeating).
That is true. The taboo is what kept me from quitting or going to meetings for a long ass time. I refused to accept I was an alcoholic. Everyone else was pathetic, but me downing a fifth a night wasn't. :shaking:

My experience the last few years, and going to meetings has taught me a lot even though I kept hopping on and off the wagon. I can look around me and my friends and family and spot the normies vs the alcoholics. Some are just in early stages. Some people go balls the wall and it only takes them a couple years. Some, like me, it takes 15 years. Others 40, 50 years. But once you've heard enough stories and seen enough shit, you realize that like 50%+ of America is walking around addicted to something and they don't even realize it. I didn't for a long time.

Props to all of you supporting each other :smokin: My wife just celebrated 10 years sober on Christmas Eve, her dad just passed 3 years.
Happy birthday to your wife. Good for her.

Merry Christmas all.
Right on.

I realized that this was only the second sober Xmas I've had in fifteen some years. And I don't care. Not missing it at all. 17 days for me. Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Props to all of you supporting each other :smokin: My wife just celebrated 10 years sober on Christmas Eve, her dad just passed 3 years.
Please tell your wife congrats on 10 years and same for your father in laws 3 years.

I had 27 years on Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
ok, time to get this shit back on track for myself. as i suspected, i would not be able to tow the line during the holiday season. i did pretty good not drinking/minimal beer drinking during the workweek for the last few weeks. unfortunatly since xmas eve-eve, i plowed through (4) 1.75l bottles of rum, (4) 16oz 6-packs of beast ice and god knows what other "road sodas" along the way. im disappointed how ive let this take me over. last drink was 2pm, (thats right; 2 PM) sunday the 1st. im sitting here by myself, drinking tea.....im not giving in

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Day two of forever.

My body has told me it cannot tolerate it anymore. I drink one sip and I puke.

Either I quit or I die. Easy choice.

·
Bug Nerd
7,167 Posts
30 days. Tangible proof that I am not full of shit.

Drawing was always a good release for me as kid. I usually just put pencil to paper and go. And I have found that the result is I draw things subconsciously. Sometimes I don't even see it until other people point it out to me.

I set out to draw a snake. This is what I ended up with.

I thought people in this thread might be able to appreciate it. I'd rather die on life's terms than kill myself slowly.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I decided to quit a few weeks ago. Got to the point I was drinking 6-8 drinks daily. I was having trouble sleeping and my face/ears would mostly feel like it's on fire.

3 weeks in I do not miss it at all, I feel much better and much more productive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's hard for me to believe, or maybe accept, that today marks one year since I have had a drink. I am posting this to both help myself and everybody else. If I can do it, anybody can do it that wants too. It has gotten easier for me the last few months. The 2nd guessing myself or the "just have one for old times sake" with my friends has disappeared mostly from my mind.

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Please stop thinking of it as stopping drinking.
Think of it more as beginning life on life's terms.

29 years later alcohol means nothing to me.
January 6th 1988.
The day I had woken up and said I have had enough.

29 years ago walked out of jail.
I owned the rags I was wearing.

The rewards didn't come for me overnight.
Took 21 years for my daughter to be born.

I got a degree, a great job, and a beautiful healthy family.
A much better life than I ever thought I deserved.

761 - 780 of 1758 Posts