Pirate 4x4 banner

841 - 860 of 1757 Posts

·
Registered
24,326 Posts
Bringing this back up and checking in.

6 months today. Hope everyone is doing well.
:grinpimp:
:grinpimp:

Wife and I have done well. No drinking. Coming up on a year next month.

Weirdest part for me i guess has been that time seemed to have sped up... No idea what others experience. But time is passing by faster now... Like all of life... Not just the distance from days of drinking. :confused:
I'm not any smarter, I don't spend any less money, but you know what? I don't have to worry as much as I used to. Lots less dumb arguments... That's good too.

No major desires to drink... No longer having dreams that I forgot to not drink and started again anymore:laughing:

I wandered in to AA for my 9 month chip. Should go back for my bday.

Life is definitely better for us with out the alcohol.

·
IMA BUM
3,258 Posts
I drink nowhere near I was when this thread got started. Lots of personal issues at that time that I've got under control. Now I go weeks between drinks.

I'm dependent (not addicted) on my pain pills. I fuck my back up while drinking, can't take any pain meds. :shaking:

Never really thought about it, I guess drinking gets in the way of my drug habit. :eek:

I'm doing fine! :smokin:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
So I got a question for those who drank long and hard then quit. I'm on day 10 and the last 3 days my upper abdominal area and both sides of my lower rear back have been hurting. It's mostly the upper abdominal area that bothers me the most. I wake up feeling fine and then as the day goes on it gets worse. Then by the time I'm done with work it's hurting and I'm exhausted.

I went to the doc and explained everything. He felt me up and came to the conclusion that maybe my stomach has been damaged a little from all the alcohol. He gave me Dexilant for two weeks which is making me miserable. My BP is great and everything checked out with him.

He did order an ultrasound for next week and blood test whenever I can go.

Anyone have similar pain/discomfort after quitting?

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Nothing like that for me.

Sure it couldn't be coincidental? Strained muscles or something?

Regardless, hang in there!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Nothing like that for me.

Sure it couldn't be coincidental? Strained muscles or something?

Regardless, hang in there!

Doesn't feel like a muscle strain. More like inside. I feel nothing in the morning and then after lunch it starts bothering me.

I am never touching a drop of alcohol again. I have no desire to. I made a big decision recently that eliminated the cause of my drinking. It was either do it and live or don't and die.

·
Registered
24,326 Posts
I felt similar in stomach and kidneys for a bit and some pain of that nature.. Like i couldn't drink enough water... But I was drinking enough water to constantly pee like crazy.

It was like i was hung over/dehydrated for a long while. My body was so used to getting moisture, sugars, and calories from one place and then i changed it to another is all I can guess.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I felt similar in stomach and kidneys for a bit and some pain of that nature.. Like i couldn't drink enough water... But I was drinking enough water to constantly pee like crazy.

It was like i was hung over/dehydrated for a long while. My body was so used to getting moisture, sugars, and calories from one place and then i changed it to another is all I can guess.
How long did it last?

I'm drinking water all day and eating whole foods. I cut out fried shit and all that just to help it as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
OP, good for you

I quit drinking beer about 5 months ago and have maybe one whiskey and coke every 2 weeks. Lost 10lbs. in the first 2 months and have kept it off with nothing more then not drinking.

Problem I had was beer would slow me down. I am always busy and as soon as drank one beer that was it, I was done working or being productive

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
So much awesomeness in this thread.
So many have improved themselves by stopping the alcohol to the degree that they were at.

I stopped for a good while, but I have come to terms with it now.
I don't 'need' it anymore, but will imbibe in a social setting.

Everyone has their own motivation, reason, and level of acceptability.
Whether it's total abstinence, or one here and there.

Once you find that sweet spot for you, you're golden.

I applaud every one of you for trying, posting, and being true to yourselves.

Alcohol dependence is a bitch, but with your efforts for yourself and the support of others like you, YOU CAN DO IT!

·
Registered
24,326 Posts
How long did it last?

I'm drinking water all day and eating whole foods. I cut out fried shit and all that just to help it as much as I can.
Don't remember. Still feel like it happens from time to time.

Dunno what you drank.

Average can of beer is 150 calories. If you put away 24 that is 3600 calories... Not to mention 2.25 gallons of liquid.

Your body adjusting to that being gone was my best guess at what was happening.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Don't remember. Still feel like it happens from time to time.

Dunno what you drank.

Average can of beer is 150 calories. If you put away 24 that is 3600 calories... Not to mention 2.25 gallons of liquid.

Your body adjusting to that being gone was my best guess at what was happening.
Half a bottle of vodka a night. I would say 6 days a week on average since 2008-ish.

·
Registered
17,636 Posts
Figured I would post in this thread. I "quit" drinking at the beginning of May, because it was adversely affecting my home life, and it was ALWAYS on my mind. At the end of May, I transferred from So Cal to Reno, NV for work. I had to go up to Reno before the wife and kids, as we had to find a house up in Reno, and try to sell our home in So Cal. I was living alone, up in Reno for about 3 months, and during that 3 months, I went back to my old drinking habits. About a 30 pack every 2 days. I think I did it mostly because I was bored, and lonely. At any rate, I quit again right before we moved the wife up here to Reno, which was on August 23rd. I'm not counting the days sober, I'm just taking it one day at a time. I have found a love for different brands of ginger ale, ginger beer (non alcoholic) and microbrewed root beers.

Taking it one day at a time. It's not always easy, and I still have cravings for a cold beer a lot... But I'll get through them.

Scott

841 - 860 of 1757 Posts