Pirate 4x4 banner

861 - 880 of 1757 Posts

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Figured I would post in this thread. I "quit" drinking at the beginning of May, because it was adversely affecting my home life, and it was ALWAYS on my mind. At the end of May, I transferred from So Cal to Reno, NV for work. I had to go up to Reno before the wife and kids, as we had to find a house up in Reno, and try to sell our home in So Cal. I was living alone, up in Reno for about 3 months, and during that 3 months, I went back to my old drinking habits. About a 30 pack every 2 days. I think I did it mostly because I was bored, and lonely. At any rate, I quit again right before we moved the wife up here to Reno, which was on August 23rd. I'm not counting the days sober, I'm just taking it one day at a time. I have found a love for different brands of ginger ale, ginger beer (non alcoholic) and microbrewed root beers.

Taking it one day at a time. It's not always easy, and I still have cravings for a cold beer a lot... But I'll get through them.

Scott
Just take it one day at a time Scott. It'll be 17 years this coming Jan. for me and you know how much I drank. At this point I rarely even think about having a "brew". I realize it was the best decision I could make and I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
17,632 Posts
Just take it one day at a time Scott. It'll be 17 years this coming Jan. for me and you know how much I drank. At this point I rarely even think about having a "brew". I realize it was the best decision I could make and I'm glad I did.
Thanks Gary.. Yeah I remember the days when you drank.. That's pretty much where I was at while camping. I'd wake up, make coffee then crack a beer around 9 am. I'm just going one day at a time...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I have drank for damn near 20 years, drank hard for the last 10 or so. Decided I have had enough. Day 10 sober if I make it through today. Longest I have ever gone. I feel great physically, and I am optimistic on the days to come. Tough for me to type this because I HATE going back on my word and this is the only thing that could make me go back on it. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have drank for damn near 20 years, drank hard for the last 10 or so. Decided I have had enough. Day 10 sober if I make it through today. Longest I have ever gone. I feel great physically, and I am optimistic on the days to come. Tough for me to type this because I HATE going back on my word and this is the only thing that could make me go back on it. Wish me luck.
Drank.:shaking:

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Keep it up.

I quit Dec 20 last year. Lost 15 lbs since. Telling my friends what I was doing was key, because then I felt stupid drinking with them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
it will be 5 years this coming June. I was a raging alcoholic, made an ass out myself everywhere. If it wasn't for the great password reset, i would still be staring in the mirror of the old me (and probably still have that stigma).

I had to change my whole life. but it was for the best. 7 years ago i was couch surfing / homeless, now my fiance and i own a home and am thriving.

Right now is the very best time ever! For everything. seriously. don't make excuses to quit.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
it will be 5 years this coming June. I was a raging alcoholic, made an ass out myself everywhere. If it wasn't for the great password reset, i would still be staring in the mirror of the old me (and probably still have that stigma).

I had to change my whole life. but it was for the best. 7 years ago i was couch surfing / homeless, now my fiance and i own a home and am thriving.

Right now is the very best time ever! For everything. seriously. don't make excuses to quit.
Congrats.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Congrats. After a few weeks each day was easier for me than the day before. Coming up on two years sober this month. I worried a lot about social situations, especially a few work related functions where an open bar was the norm. Turns out that it is just as much fun for me to watch people make fools of themselves instead of making a fool of myself.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Congrats. After a few weeks each day was easier for me than the day before. Coming up on two years sober this month. I worried a lot about social situations, especially a few work related functions where an open bar was the norm. Turns out that it is just as much fun for me to watch people make fools of themselves instead of making a fool of myself.
I am probably going to lose some friends but I am ok with that. I have my wife and kids and I want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You can do it man. It gets easier after a while.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I am probably going to lose some friends but I am ok with that. I have my wife and kids and I want to keep it that way.
I'm betting Paragon and our gin-addled Canuck friend NERVEman will call you a big stinky face poopy-head, too.

Not that big of a deal. :lmao:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You can do it man. It gets easier after a while.
This.

It was tough, mentally, to NOT want to drink but after a while that urge begins to fade after a couple weeks.

I quit a while back but occasionally have a drink. I feel much better having control over it and not just drinking my lights out every day.

Plus the $$ you save.....:smokin:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just hit my 6 month mark and it feels pretty good. There are some days were I want a beer, mainly due to some issues I am having with my son, but I am choosing to deal with it without alcohol. I've lost 20 pounds and sleep much better and don't wake up every morning feel like dog shit. Not to mention the money that I am saving by not buying beer.

861 - 880 of 1757 Posts