Pirate 4x4 banner

1081 - 1100 of 1757 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Even though I really do not ? did not like to admit it drinking really fucked up my life.

Over a year sober now and damn it man if my life isn't so much better.

I am healthier, friendlier, and all around enjoying my life 100x more than when I drank everyday.

YMMV

·
Registered
17,546 Posts
Wife moving out is rough. Going to the store and buying beer is a choice. It sucks but when you’re sitting in the parking lot just think “this buzz lasts a day but I actually picked my wife to spend the rest of my life with me.” Maybe it helps. Instead of going to the beer store go to a parts store or electronics store. Anywhere you can’t buy beer or liquor. It MIGHT help. As for the no kids thing...when my wife and I started trying we had that talk and agreed a kid wasn’t worth the time and money of in vitro. I didn’t have the “I want to be a dad SO BAD” thing and I was fine being a cool uncle. Downside is you’ll hear how you don’t understand and not be able to say “I’ll also miss out on everything you say makes it great. “

I made it through Friday. Kinda hard because I was home all day and usually I’d have a beer with lunch on days like that and maybe a couple 6-8 (1/5 if a bottle for the liquor drinkers) that night. Kinda proud and it’s kinda easier to keep the streak going.
In your free time (if you have any) volunteer somewhere; homeless shelter/thrift store/animal shelter/hospital etc.

This is what I did when my ex kicked me to the curb.

My buddy, who's a recovering alcoholic, suggested that to me.

That's what he does to combat his drinking.

He suggested it in order to combat my depression from the death of my marriage/divorce.

It keeps you mentally and physically busy and it gives a neutral gratifying spiritual/humanitarian feeling of helping others.

I'm coming up on two years divorced.

I'm only now learning to forgive myself and let go of the past/move on.

Serving humanity helped me a lot.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
Might want to draw the ragin Cajun’s attention to this. Wife hasn’t left me. Made it a weekend. Helped getting a stomach bug Saturday night.

In your free time (if you have any) volunteer somewhere; homeless shelter/thrift store/animal shelter/hospital etc.

This is what I did when my ex kicked me to the curb.

My buddy, who's a recovering alcoholic, suggested that to me.

That's what he does to combat his drinking.

He suggested it in order to combat my depression from the death of my marriage/divorce.

It keeps you mentally and physically busy and it gives a neutral gratifying spiritual/humanitarian feeling of helping others.

I'm coming up on two years divorced.

I'm only now learning to forgive myself and let go of the past/move on.

Serving humanity helped me a lot.

·
Registered
17,546 Posts
Wife moving out is rough.
Wife hasn’t left me.
My ex did the same thing too.

Counselors call this 'the first step'.

Historically; once there is a separation (not living under the same roof), odds of reuniting go waaaay down.

Unless, of course, your marriage is fine and she just moved closer to a new job etc.

In that case; disregard my post. :beer:

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
I was talking to rajin about his wife moving out. It’s a rough position to be when your wife has told you to quit drinking, she left, and you’re still drinking while trying to clean up.

My ex did the same thing too.

Counselors call this 'the first step'.

Historically; once there is a separation (not living under the same roof), odds of reuniting go waaaay down.

Unless, of course, your marriage is fine and she just moved closer to a new job etc.

In that case; disregard my post. :beer:

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
Told the wife last night I should celebrate being sober 1 week by having a beer. She chuckled and said "that's dumb" as usual. Later I went to the fridge to grab a sparkling water (kinda works for me) and literally almost grabbed the last lagunitas Maximus I have in the fridge from a week ago. Had a 1 second "WTF am I doing" moment and kind of laughed about POSSIBLY ACTUALLY grabbing a beer. It seems to get easier when I get to watch more people drink and stay sober. Friday we have family dinner at someone's house so it's going to be entertaining to say the least.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
Were you kidding or serious?
Half and half. Half of me was like..."yay me. Went a week. Lets have A beer because it's the last one and I won't drink the house dry." while the other have was like "wow. A week. So impressive when you've done two months. Wanna keep that ball rollin and see what you can do if you actually try?" I haven't actually had a desire to drink lately. I think it's the feeling of waking up sober every day. Now if I can transition that high into some TRX workouts after work and get back into running 6+ miles a day I'd be back to myself.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Had an interesting talk with the GF over the past weekend. During it 'drinking' came up. When we started dating we were besting drinking buds (had been for years prior to dating)

When we moved in she was shocked I drank every night (not to any excess just in general)

Anyway long story short, I agree I drink more than some less than others. It has never been a problem (home or work) but I do drink.

I am contemplating at least cutting back. I prob do 5-8 a night (miller lite) and upwards of double that on weekends.

Never get 'drunk' during the week, sometimes on weekends. But still feel it is prob more than I should be drinking. Health is fine, I get up at 5:30 am every day for work (feeling fine) etc. I am very active and get tons of things done, more projects than most.

We will see. Not going to just stop, just going to make more of a conscious effort to keep track of quantity. At least during the week for now and see where it goes.

For me I want to stop smoking, but every time I have tried I have failed do to drinking. Again health is not an immediate reason so much as cost.

We will see. Maybe a goal for money savings for the year.
Right there with ya. The first talk was no more passing out on the couch drunk on the weekends, stopped that. She hasnt said anything since, but I took it upon myself to limit my weekday intake. i'm doing Gin & Tonics since we're doing Keto (diet tonic) and I'll pout the glass 1/2 full of Gin then cover with Tonic. Before I know it I'm drunk, so I started metering pours. One shot per drink and limit to 4 drinks. So far its working for me, I feel better in the mornings and I'm saving some $$$. I quit chewing this year as a habit as well and now only recreationally chew (IE MAYBE once a month when with buddies). I figure if I can do that, I can meter my alcohol intake.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
Right there with ya. The first talk was no more passing out on the couch drunk on the weekends, stopped that. She hasnt said anything since, but I took it upon myself to limit my weekday intake. i'm doing Gin & Tonics since we're doing Keto (diet tonic) and I'll pout the glass 1/2 full of Gin then cover with Tonic. Before I know it I'm drunk, so I started metering pours. One shot per drink and limit to 4 drinks. So far its working for me, I feel better in the mornings and I'm saving some $$$. I quit chewing this year as a habit as well and now only recreationally chew (IE MAYBE once a month when with buddies). I figure if I can do that, I can meter my alcohol intake.
Good on ya for measuring and sticking to a limit. I tried it and I'm good for a while but seem to find a way back to drinking 4 11% 22oz beers and it's the same as 4 12 oz 4.5% beers. I've never tried doing liquor though.

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Even though I really do not ? did not like to admit it drinking really fucked up my life.

Over a year sober now and damn it man if my life isn't so much better.

I am healthier, friendlier, and all around enjoying my life 100x more than when I drank everyday.

YMMV
That's it right there.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
That's good. For me it was not even passing out, it was mostly that I physically drink every day.

Fri and Sat I will admit I prob drink more than I should, but I am a productive drinker. I will drink while doing yard work, or working on the house or cars. Never stumbling down drunk (well damn near never)

Sat and Sun I like to sleep in ( I am up early every day for work so those are my days) She would get upset bc she figured I was hung over. Not really just turned off the alarm because I can. If I/We had plans I would always be up.

I don't disagree there is room to cut back, but sometimes I feel it is a control thing for her. Idk. But I am ok with cutting back for my reasons, not to be dictated upon.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
That's good. For me it was not even passing out, it was mostly that I physically drink every day.

Fri and Sat I will admit I prob drink more than I should, but I am a productive drinker. I will drink while doing yard work, or working on the house or cars. Never stumbling down drunk (well damn near never)

Sat and Sun I like to sleep in ( I am up early every day for work so those are my days) She would get upset bc she figured I was hung over. Not really just turned off the alarm because I can. If I/We had plans I would always be up.

I don't disagree there is room to cut back, but sometimes I feel it is a control thing for her. Idk. But I am ok with cutting back for my reasons, not to be dictated upon.
I had this. Wife sometimes called it a functional alcoholic. She would have the same problem with 6 coors light as she would 6 Imperial IPAs. I have even asked her what an acceptable number was and got to a point where I told her "anything more than 1 is too many to you. It doesn't matter what legally drunk, tolerance, or number per hour." I remember having a beer at lunch then another a few hours later and she was telling me "thats 2 already" and I had a smartass comeback like "yeah...in 5 hours so I should probably make up for lost time because 3/hr is considered legally sober."

11 days. This counting days thing kinda works. Almost had a beer last night to have the taste. Again, just one. I think the only thing I kept myself going with wast "the streak" and I ended up doing a 30 minute TRX workout while the wife gave our son a bath and put him to sleep. MAN I'm sore. 8 miles running and 30 minute workout on a body that hasn't used arms/shoulders takes a beating.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
Family from out of state coming over for a big multi family dinner tonight. The booze will be a flowin. I'll be chillin with some kind of something (soda?) on the sidelines spectating. Sunday is 14 days.

Oddly enough I'm getting some kind of acid reflux but it's probably unrelated to not drinking since it hasn't happened before.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
How'd it go?
Went fine. Very uneventful. No one drank enough to start a fight or urinate themselves. I’m hitting that “eh, it’s kind of a waste of time” point I usually do and keeping the “okay I guess I’ll keep this going. Plus I’m able to get out and run double digits on weekends a hell of a lot easier. If I keep it up and qualify for Boston in April I’m getting PLASTERED....off like 36 ounces of 4.5% beer.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I started drinking after 3 days of shity sleep. I will try over Christmas when im off work.I can deal with the insomnia if I don't have the work the next day.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
I started drinking after 3 days of shity sleep. I will try over Christmas when im off work.I can deal with the insomnia if I don't have the work the next day.
I had that for a while. Waking up at 2-3am, falling back asleep until 5 minutes before the alarm went off, then falling asleep for another 40 minutes. It sucks and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened again, but yeah...if you can kinda schedule it you could make it through. Have you been eating/drinking more sugar lately? Soda, energy drinks, candy, cake, donuts, ice cream, gum, etc?

14 days today. Helped being sober last night. 1 year old son hit 103.8F fever so while I'd usually be on my 3rd or 4th beer I was ready to go and didn't have to worry about getting shit from the wife about drinking while the kid is now in danger, or have to sober up in the hospital while getting hungry. I somehow made it 8 hours without eating. I also haven't been able to finish a pint of ice cream which is REALLY surprising to me. I would buy them and plan a pint a day. I'm down to almost half.

·
Registered
479 Posts
No pop of energy drinks, just water at work. Unfortunately beer as soon as I get home till bedtime for the last 30 some years. The wife doesn't complain because im sociable and interactive with the family. I just want to do this for me first and the rest later. Its harder when nobody cares that it is happening daily. Have to do it for me.

1081 - 1100 of 1757 Posts