Pirate 4x4 banner

1701 - 1720 of 1758 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Thanks guys. I was not much of a sit down a drink guy, more of a “productive” drinker. It would be get home from work, pour drink, sit at computer and edit or jump into the shed and make stuff.

Me not drinking is paying for our “new” tow rig which we brought in from AZ. I get much more enjoyment out of driving that around than I did drinking... even though it’s got a 350 and gas is like $5.50usd / gal here.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
So I was on the fence about making this post... didn’t want to jump in randomly to celebrate my success but have been following this thread for a couple years, so firstly thanks to everyone who contributes you guys are awesome!

I was a fairly heavy drinker, used it for pain and stress relief (bad back, over active mind... good buzz would slow me down enough so I could work better).

Mainly a spirits and beer guy, 1-3 40oz a week depending on what was going on.

It’s summer here and I have been struggling in the heat knowing how good a cold beer tastes when working in the shop. Have had beer and a bottle of vodka sitting in the freezer since we had visitors from overseas in August, managed to not even touch them.

I guess the main reason for my post is to say that you CAN quit, you just have to look at yourself in the mirror and take action. It sure as hell isn’t easy but it is rewarding. Good luck to everyone on their journeys, being sober can be boring as hell but waking up early while everyone else is hungover is a good deal!

1 F*CKING YEAR SOBER!!

....now to go celebrate with a shot of water or some kind of bullshit grass crap that them healthy peoples tell you are good for you :flipoff2:
:bounce2::bounce::bounce2: Congrats on a year of sobriety!! :bounce::bounce2::bounce:

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
One week ago today I quit .

Have not read these pages except for most of the last page, looks like people can die from quitting cold turkey, I kind of suspected that, I watched an episode of Dr. G Medical Examiner the other day where a guy went from 15 beers a day down to one just to have a date with his ex, he died on the date .

For this reason I have allowed myself one beer a day, the other day I had two, so I punished myself the next day by not allowing any, probably not the wisest choice .

I have had doctors tell me that one beer or a glass of wine a day is actually good for you, so I am not worried about being 100% alcohol free, that is not my goal, I fully intend to still enjoy a beverage with friends or out to supper AFTER I get this monkey off my back .

But I have been drinking a fair amount for quite some time, I hate vodka and am mostly a Tequila guy and whiskey sometimes, another problem is I like them mixed, whiskey with coke and my Tequila with Mt. Dew and fruit juice, well that is a shit ton of sugar so that has to stop to because everyone in this day and age over 30 years old knows that's a recipe for disaster .

Anywho, this has been harder than I imagined, I quite everything for 30 days back in 2012 I think and it wasn't that big of a deal, but this time it's fucking with me pretty hard, mind and body, I can't concentrate on shit, the simplest of tasks is often challenging .

I'm about to step into my busy season, and really hope this gets better soon or I just might lose my shit .
No offense, but I think you're going to have a lot harder time with this than you think with that outlook. Most people don't drink every day, or even every week or month. I'm not saying this from a position of judgement.... I admit I have a problem myself. This past year sucked and I fell off the wagon, hard, despite never being a "quitter".

My biggest concern for you: If you cold turkey you will experience the rebound effect known as "kindling". It can absolutely kill, but it doesn't affect everybody equally. The thing to know is that the next time you binge/go on a bender/have a 12 pack or whatever, its going to get WORSE. The easiest way to do that and feel some WDs, is to simply allow yourself the capacity to do that.

Try reducing drinks by 3 a day, but plan yourself a closing date, and keep to it. Keep off it for a while. Set a plan, and stick to it when you choose to drink again.

I figure if you don't go full retard the next time you drink, or the subsequent times after that, you may not be an alcoholic, functional or not. I think many of us just live with the idea that we are, but we don't really care too much and just keep up with the status quo. Society makes it too damn easy, that's for sure.

Anyway, you'll know if you're experiencing withdrawals. If you are sweating, shaky, and anxious, you're feeling it. If you're running a fever or having auditory hallucinations and physical pains, shit is pretty bad. Visual hallucinations or DTs, you need medical help.

The fog you are experiencing is absolutely normal. You've had a long time to chemically alter your brain and now it's trying to correct. It could take a long time.

Stick to beer if you're tapering, and don't bring enough home so that you can break your own rules.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Thanks guys. I was not much of a sit down a drink guy, more of a “productive” drinker. It would be get home from work, pour drink, sit at computer and edit or jump into the shed and make stuff.

Me not drinking is paying for our “new” tow rig which we brought in from AZ. I get much more enjoyment out of driving that around than I did drinking... even though it’s got a 350 and gas is like $5.50usd / gal here.

$5.50/gallon? So like a cheap six pack of beer each day? Funny how expensive it sounds when you’re wasting it on fuel and when you’re wasting it on beer it was no big deal.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
$5.50/gallon? So like a cheap six pack of beer each day? Funny how expensive it sounds when you’re wasting it on fuel and when you’re wasting it on beer it was no big deal.
Haha “cheap” isn’t a thing when you live on an island. My treat was 6 tall boys of PBR for the small price of about $24. Corona 12pk is like $30 here... but yes you are absolutely right haha. Dangerous part is having a fuel card, swipe away freely and pucker when the bill comes in :laughing:

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Haha “cheap” isn’t a thing when you live on an island. My treat was 6 tall boys of PBR for the small price of about $24. Corona 12pk is like $30 here... but yes you are absolutely right haha. Dangerous part is having a fuel card, swipe away freely and pucker when the bill comes in :laughing:
PBR tall boys? YEAAAAAHHH! Three gallons of fuel? :flipoff2: Beer is better.

Wife lived in Alaska growing up. Just as much of an island as Hawaii and NZ. A friend went there with his son and I told him "beer is so expensive you'll consider sobriety as a logical decision." I think he was shocked at $8 Coors Light.

I have a 45 gallon fuel tank in the bed and a 25 gallon tank in the truck (so like 270 liters) So for the low low price of about $740 in island coins I can drive around sober for a LOOOOOONNNNNG time thinking "this is such a waste of money."

ADD You'll get there. If you've made it this far it shouldn't be much of a big deal going forward. You'll have a few days that kind of make it hard. Just remember your wife will leave your punk ass on the side of the road and drive by with her new boyfriend, as soon as you start drinking again. Probably has him on speed dial. :flipoff2:
She could also come to town and help me clean axles, or play with the 2 year old that showed up maybe 20 seconds after you left.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Had a weekend where I was thinking ‘man I’d love to have a beer after this.’ It also felt good spending my ‘beer money’ on an oil filter over arguing about how I used a rewards blah blah blah and needed an even exchange. I’d waste it on beer without arguing over the cost so why give a shit over THIS $5.41?

Also spent 12 hours doing truck stuff and I’m just as sore as I would be if I was still drinking. Stupid daytime savings bullshit. Hopefully the leaks are fixed and my truck likes me more.

I even reached out to a guy I know who I heard quit drinking. I know it might be harder for some and maybe knowing someone else has gone through it can help. I had help from member here off line and knowing it was there if I needed it was beneficial at times.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
PBR tall boys? YEAAAAAHHH! Three gallons of fuel? :flipoff2: Beer is better.

Wife lived in Alaska growing up. Just as much of an island as Hawaii and NZ. A friend went there with his son and I told him "beer is so expensive you'll consider sobriety as a logical decision." I think he was shocked at $8 Coors Light.

I have a 45 gallon fuel tank in the bed and a 25 gallon tank in the truck (so like 270 liters) So for the low low price of about $740 in island coins I can drive around sober for a LOOOOOONNNNNG time thinking "this is such a waste of money."
Ouch $8 a can is painful. I have 0 issues burning fuel, I just have less of it in the tank :laughing: Oil prices down, fuel prices dropping everywhere.... except here :mad3:

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
2 more months and I'll be at a year (I think) which seems kind of odd. I guess I'd expect more excitement from myself about getting there. At this point I feel how I guess guys with 10+ years feel. "woo hoo. you're an adult. big deal."

I say this knowing I'll have to wait in line to buy groceries tomorrow and I'll be able to do it clean and sober. Heck, I've had nights where I've stayed up until 11pm and woken up the next day at 4am feeling way better than I did when I was drinking. I'm also putting a few hundred bucks into savings each paycheck which HAS to be my old beer money. I DO drink a lot more soda, and I DO NOT worry about spending money on things much anymore. I have the money and I don't worry about only having $20 in my bank account for three days. Everything is paid and I'm not going to be buying $8 in beer for a few days so the $20 will last no problem.

Now that I'm working from home for an undetermined amount of time it's probably better I'm not drinking. I'd either start drinking earlier which would piss the wife off (she is also working from home), or I'd be working later doing shitty work because I'm trying to get through the day before because I drank too much.

I did recently discover the wife was taking photos of me and compiling a folder/file to use against me for a divorce. She told me in anger one time I'd only have supervised visits with my son. I thought it was just a threat back then and blew it off as her being mad. Glad I got my shit together cuz my kid is kind of fun to play with.

ADD: congratulations man. Odd quitting day. Weirder shit has happened though.

Stevrok how you holding up? Make it two months?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
How's everyone else doing during the isolation?
Not good.

Went dry for 11 months when this thread started; then started again for various (lame) reasons. Have mostly been "controlling" it since then (yes, quitting would be best). Last week has been getting worse; don't need to be at work, and hard to find a reason not to drink.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not good.

Went dry for 11 months when this thread started; then started again for various (lame) reasons. Have mostly been "controlling" it since then (yes, quitting would be best). Last week has been getting worse; don't need to be at work, and hard to find a reason not to drink.
I’m sorry man.
I hope we get to root for you again the way you have for so many others in this thread.

1701 - 1720 of 1758 Posts