Pirate 4x4 banner

1721 - 1740 of 1758 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Not good.

Went dry for 11 months when this thread started; then started again for various (lame) reasons. Have mostly been "controlling" it since then (yes, quitting would be best). Last week has been getting worse; don't need to be at work, and hard to find a reason not to drink.
idle hands. If it is boredom that has you drinking just get back to what you wer doing before. There has to be SOMETHING going on you can do. spend the money buying a model car, or a pressure washer. Some big dumb purchase you can look at thinking "damn I shouldn't have done that" or something.

What kept you going before?

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Four months. :)

Last couple weeks were a doozy due to marital issues (now on their way to being resolved, thank goodness). Had one point where for just a second or two I thought about getting sloshed, but then immediately decided, "F*ck that; no way am I throwing away everything I've accomplished over this."

How's everyone?
Where the fuck is THIS guy from back in 2015? "No way am I throwing away everything I've accomplished"? It's kind of the only think keeping ME going at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Not good.

Went dry for 11 months when this thread started; then started again for various (lame) reasons. Have mostly been "controlling" it since then (yes, quitting would be best). Last week has been getting worse; don't need to be at work, and hard to find a reason not to drink.
Just stop and find a reason to stay sober.

·
OG13 King
7,881 Posts
I went through a divorce. Divorces are never fun and my divorce lasted almost 8 years - very expensive. Still didn't drink though it and when I finally came out the other end, I was glad I didn't.
A few years back, I was having a particularly hard time. Really just wanted to get out of head and started romancing the idea of having a drink. I schemed a plan that maybe I could just sneak a little booze and NO ONE would know.
Luckily, I thought it through and knew I would end up drinking every day and waking up hungover. There is no ease-back-into-it with moderation, for me anyway. I would just pick up the habit where I left off.
Sometimes it works just to truthfully imagine where the drink will lead.
Or as they say, follow the drink through.

I wonder if AA meetings have been cancelled because of the bat flu? That would be disastrous for many.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
I went through a divorce. Divorces are never fun and my divorce lasted almost 8 years - very expensive. Still didn't drink though it and when I finally came out the other end, I was glad I didn't.
A few years back, I was having a particularly hard time. Really just wanted to get out of head and started romancing the idea of having a drink. I schemed a plan that maybe I could just sneak a little booze and NO ONE would know.
Luckily, I thought it through and knew I would end up drinking every day and waking up hungover. There is no ease-back-into-it with moderation, for me anyway. I would just pick up the habit where I left off.
Sometimes it works just to truthfully imagine where the drink will lead.
Or as they say, follow the drink through.

I wonder if AA meetings have been cancelled because of the bat flu? That would be disastrous for many.
Live stream them, or meet somewhere in public might work for a short term. I'm sure you're correct and a LOT of people stuck at home are just itching for something to do other than drink. Others might be drinking less realizing it isn't as horrible as it sounds since they have to work all day long. I'd probably start cracking beers around noon if I was still drinking. "Boss won't know."

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Congrats to all that have stayed with it. Good job. :D

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
I had an odd dream last night.
I was walking down the street with a bottle of Jack Daniels, took a FAT swig, and started to feel that buzz. Thought to myself "well, so much for making it to one year."
Remembered how much I enjoyed it and found the first mom/pop convenience store. Walked straight to the booze and started taking shots out of a bottle in their refrigerated section. (what liquor store keeps JD in the fridge?) walked out and when the owner tried to confront me I took off running...down a street I rode my bike to school on as I was a kid.

weirdest shit ever.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I had an odd dream last night.
I was walking down the street with a bottle of Jack Daniels, took a FAT swig, and started to feel that buzz. Thought to myself "well, so much for making it to one year."
Remembered how much I enjoyed it and found the first mom/pop convenience store. Walked straight to the booze and started taking shots out of a bottle in their refrigerated section. (what liquor store keeps JD in the fridge?) walked out and when the owner tried to confront me I took off running...down a street I rode my bike to school on as I was a kid.

weirdest shit ever.
The mind is an amazing thing, that is easily clouded by alcohol. Rewriting your prom fix's all that.

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
Still not drinking...

been thinking about a handle of Jack, a pack of smokes and an 8ball since my dad died though.
Don't! Just don't man!

I am taking April off. Not because I think I have a problem, I just need/want the challenge and could stand to lose some winter fluff. I am still working, but stuck at home a lot outside of dog walks and bike rides. I am cleaning/organizing/purging the garage and house and hope I can continue actually enjoying it. I have 20+ years of shit I am purging, selling or giving away to my nephew who is just starting to acquire tools and needs motorcycle gear I no longer use.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Still not drinking...

been thinking about a handle of Jack, a pack of smokes and an 8ball since my dad died though.
Just keep going without man. What will feel better:

1. Temporary pain relief you're going to feel the next day.
2. Knowing you handled shit like a man and don't need mind altering substances to get through tough times?

I was actually thinking about how I'd react if someone asked me "so what if your mom/dad died?" and I'd love to use it as an excuse to drink it all away. I knew it then, and I know it now. Getting shitfaced and making excuses to justify going down a deep dark spiral won't do anything to fix anything. It's just going to put off the moment where you start to get better. The hardest part is taking the hard way and that is getting through this sober. The easy way would be to down that handle of jack and blow that 8 ball up your nose. Eventually you'll have to get past it sober because delaying it won't make it go away.

side note: I never did cocaine. I think I might have liked it A LOT if it's how I imagine it.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've never had an addiction to alcohol, but for what it's worth...

From about 19-22 I drank pretty hard. From 21-22 it was 2 bottles of whiskey each weekend just for myself, with trips to the local bars each night for bike night, or whatever event.

When I met my wife, I really laid off it, but would still binge like crazy if around people and booze was involved.

The drinking really slowed once I bought a house and had kids and stuff. I've gone through phases of heavier drinking than normal, though.

What I have concluded is that I usually, generally, pretty much always, feel like garbage after drinking anything at all. I used to enjoy a beer with dinner, then maybe one or two or more after, and I just felt like absolute trash.

Now? Even if I want to have a beer for whatever reasons, I grab the can, think about how my stomach and acid re-flux will leave me feeling, and put the can back in the fridge.

I know, never a serious addiction, so I can't understand what you guys are going through, but just remember how BLAH it makes you feel.

Stay strong everyone! :smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Prom? The high school dance thing?
Programmable read only memory. You (and I) reprogrammed our brains in many different area's to the greatness of alcohol. I had many random strange dreams of alcohol after I quit, and a wtf moment at koh2011 during a thrash to get my brakes working the night before qualifying. People all over my car, were all hustling and during it all I spotted a frosty coors light, grabbed it and started filling my mouth with beer before I realized what I was doing. Everyone looked at me as I realized wtf I was doing and spit it out.

It gets programmed into your mind. Takes awhile to erase that shit.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Programmable read only memory. You (and I) reprogrammed our brains in many different area's to the greatness of alcohol. I had many random strange dreams of alcohol after I quit, and a wtf moment at koh2011 during a thrash to get my brakes working the night before qualifying. People all over my car, were all hustling and during it all I spotted a frosty coors light, grabbed it and started filling my mouth with beer before I realized what I was doing. Everyone looked at me as I realized wtf I was doing and spit it out.

It gets programmed into your mind. Takes awhile to erase that shit.
ah. ROM. I remember hearing about that stuff in school one year. This one was kind of like when I did Whole 30 and something said I'd have food dreams. I forget what they were but they were just as random. I haven't drank Jack Daniels in a LONG time. I became really mean on it. Also blacked out last time I drank it I think.

that's a pretty odd WTF moment. I still joke about drinking a lot of Coors Light. "redneck currency. You got a 12 pack of Coors and you'll probably get fixed enough to get on your way far enough to get fixed for real if you got a 12 pack of coors."

EDIT: At the same time I'm pretty sure I'm more patient working on my jeep and truck now that I'm not trying to just get done in time for a beer. Little things that I'd probably skip over because I can't drink a beer soon enough now don't seem to bother me. Plus all the money I'm not spending on beer keeps going to solving Jeep problems by throwing money at it. At least I'm starting to start with the cheap things and maybe get lucky with diagnosing something other than "head gaskets. Save up for an LS swap" that it doesn't need.

·
Rusted.
900 Posts
Today is the 1-year anniversary for my oldest son. We are very proud of him. After his stroke at age 24 he fell into a dark hole of depression and alcoholism. It took a medical scare of liver issues at age 26 to get him to quit. He's a completely different person now. Focused and happy, and also focused on working out and eating healthy.

Last year his '76 blazer gave up the ghost so I sold him my '87 1-ton GMC that I was just finishing a motor swap on because I knew he needed something to occupy his time. In the last 6 months he's replaced the floor pans, rockers, threw on a set of headers, replaced all the wheel bearings and brakes, and is deciding what he wants to do with the body. That kind of busy work has helped him stay away from the alcohol.

He said that he hopes someday he'll be able to enjoy a cold beer at the end of the day, but realizes he's nowhere near that point yet. He was a "run out or pass out" guy.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Today is the 1-year anniversary for my oldest son. We are very proud of him. After his stroke at age 24 he fell into a dark hole of depression and alcoholism. It took a medical scare of liver issues at age 26 to get him to quit. He's a completely different person now. Focused and happy, and also focused on working out and eating healthy.

Last year his '76 blazer gave up the ghost so I sold him my '87 1-ton GMC that I was just finishing a motor swap on because I knew he needed something to occupy his time. In the last 6 months he's replaced the floor pans, rockers, threw on a set of headers, replaced all the wheel bearings and brakes, and is deciding what he wants to do with the body. That kind of busy work has helped him stay away from the alcohol.

He said that he hopes someday he'll be able to enjoy a cold beer at the end of the day, but realizes he's nowhere near that point yet. He was a "run out or pass out" guy.
Congratulations to your son.
It's impressive how much stuff gets done when you're no longer wasting time getting drunk. Yeah some people can drink and get things done and some of us drank because that's what we wanted to get done. I told a buddy yesterday I quit because I just don't have the time and since I bought a Jeep I don't have any money. it's kind of true. $60 in the bank account right now, plenty of time to brew beer every day, and I'm thinking "okay, if I don't spend that I can get some stuff for the Jeep, or fill up the tank and go drive" which seems more relaxing than being hung over on the couch. It also has the benefit of being something I can do with my son.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Congratulations to your son.
It's impressive how much stuff gets done when you're no longer wasting time getting drunk. Yeah some people can drink and get things done and some of us drank because that's what we wanted to get done. I told a buddy yesterday I quit because I just don't have the time and since I bought a Jeep I don't have any money. it's kind of true. $60 in the bank account right now, plenty of time to brew beer every day, and I'm thinking "okay, if I don't spend that I can get some stuff for the Jeep, or fill up the tank and go drive" which seems more relaxing than being hung over on the couch. It also has the benefit of being something I can do with my son.

Those axles better be in by now....

When we going wheeling? I'll be your winch bitch:flipoff2:

1721 - 1740 of 1758 Posts