Pirate 4x4 banner

1741 - 1758 of 1758 Posts

·
Hophead
77,613 Posts
best wishes to everyone in here working on being sober while stuck at home, keep on keeping on

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Those axles better be in by now....

When we going wheeling? I'll be your winch bitch:flipoff2:
HAHAHAHAHA! I'm too busy doing other shit. Plus I can't weld and my buddy is too busy to put them in. I got them cleaned up and primed to be installed then I start looking at brakes, lockers, gears, etc. I'm saving up a few thousand bucks to get a lot of it done at once.

Plus I found a few leaks on the Jeep then my truck so I haven't had money to spend on the Jeep. I'll let you know when I take it over to Roseville to get installed. At the current moment I'm hoping to keep 40 hours a week going and dropping a few grand on a toy isn't in my best interest.

Bones congratulataions man. It's odd getting through the first week, then the first month. After that you kind of wonder what the big deal is for a while. Heck, my local newspaper had an article written by a guy who is three weeks sober because bars are closed, and he won't drink alone. He likes the social aspect.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
11 months.
Found out i blew a head gasket in my truck. Told the wife “Three coors lights would be nice right about now.” Realized i have some money to fix it, time to fix it, and spent 8 hours taking apart the top end. I also have the jeep i can drive around. I wouldn’t have bought any of this, or maybe i wouldn’t have the money, if i was still drinking ao much. I definately didnt miss out on beers Sunday while working on the truck. Just the smell i was thinking “ man isnt it a little early? Its 3:00 on a Sunday .”

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
11 months.
Found out i blew a head gasket in my truck. Told the wife “Three coors lights would be nice right about now.” Realized i have some money to fix it, time to fix it, and spent 8 hours taking apart the top end. I also have the jeep i can drive around. I wouldn’t have bought any of this, or maybe i wouldn’t have the money, if i was still drinking ao much. I definately didnt miss out on beers Sunday while working on the truck. Just the smell i was thinking “ man isnt it a little early? Its 3:00 on a Sunday .”
Congrats man!

Sorry about the truck though. That sucks

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Congrats man!

Sorry about the truck though. That sucks
yeah. Wasn't what I was hoping for, and couldn't happen at A BETTER time. I have the money, and time to fix it. I'm not in Yellowstone with the family with no money. Plus the weather is nice and I could PROBABLY fix it while "on the clock" at work...if parts would show up.

don't worry. I'll be back to working on the Jeep. You can be my winch bitch at Moon Rocks or maybe on the 31s run kind of planned for June or July or something through Rubicon. I suck at wheeling though so it could become a hiking trip in the woods. Bring some cherry Bubly. :flipoff2:

·
Bug Nerd
7,167 Posts
I know I haven't been around here much, but I wanted to check in here and update everyone.

On May 7th, 2020, I hit 3 years since I woke up from my last drink.

Honestly, the last 3 years have been almost as wild as when I was drinking. I seem to just be a shit magnet for the universe. :shaking::laughing: I shouldn't have survived my second suicide attempt, and I have had a lot of brushes with reaper drinking and sober. I joke its the universe making my life hell for skirting death so many times. But the beauty of it is, I didn't pick up a drink once in the last 3 years over a god damn thing. Death, heartbreak, betrayal. I have truly reached a place where drinking doesn't occur to me as an option. Whenever I do rarely think about it, it just makes me feel uncomfortable.

COVID19 really fucked a lot of things up for me. I watched a lot of people I know who were recovering, fall off the wagon. And I'd wager there will be a new class of drug addict and alcoholic after this pandemic. For a variety of reasons. But despite all the fucking bullshit that COVID19 opened up in my life, I'm still doing fine in the scheme of things, so I can't complain. Others have it much worse than I do. Hell, I got sick of the quaratine fifteen lbs I put on, so I went back on keto for the last 22 days and dropped the 15 lbs already. :grinpimp:

I can do shit like that now.

I am so fucking grateful to have achieved 3 years without drinking. I can still remember when the concept of 30 days, or a couple months without a drink seemed impossible. Even more so, however, is I actually feel like a pretty normal person now. I know I'm not. But in overcoming drinking, I also overcame the negative and self destructive though processes that led me to become an alcoholic. That was the truly amazing gift of quitting drinking, I was finally able to see clearly for the first time in a decade.

I'm not perfect, no one is, but I live a much healthier life. My quality of life itself, is better than it ever has been. I would be a liar if I said I didn't sit at the river on a hot day, missing a cold beer. Because those thoughts still cross my mind.

But all I have to do is start to think about the can of worms that would create for myself, and then I am content again about where I am, and where I am going. I don't miss drinking. The life, the experience, that I have now is exponentially better than anything I can find in a bottle.

Congrats to everyone who made it through today. Whether its your first day, or your 10,000th. Tomorrow is new day.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I know I haven't been around here much, but I wanted to check in here and update everyone.

Honestly, the last 3 years have been almost as wild as when I was drinking. I seem to just be a shit magnet for the universe. :shaking::laughing: I shouldn't have survived my second suicide attempt, and I have had a lot of brushes with reaper drinking and sober. I joke its the universe making my life hell for skirting death so many times. But the beauty of it is, I didn't pick up a drink once in the last 3 years over a god damn thing. Death, heartbreak, betrayal. I have truly reached a place where drinking doesn't occur to me as an option. Whenever I do rarely think about it, it just makes me feel uncomfortable.

COVID19 really fucked a lot of things up for me. I watched a lot of people I know who were recovering, fall off the wagon. And I'd wager there will be a new class of drug addict and alcoholic after this pandemic. For a variety of reasons. But despite all the fucking bullshit that COVID19 opened up in my life, I'm still doing fine in the scheme of things, so I can't complain. Others have it much worse than I do. Hell, I got sick of the quaratine fifteen lbs I put on, so I went back on keto for the last 22 days and dropped the 15 lbs already. :grinpimp:

I am so fucking grateful to have achieved 3 years without drinking. I can still remember when the concept of 30 days, or a couple months without a drink seemed impossible. Even more so, however, is I actually feel like a pretty normal person now. I know I'm not. But in overcoming drinking, I also overcame the negative and self destructive though processes that led me to become an alcoholic. That was the truly amazing gift of quitting drinking, I was finally able to see clearly for the first time in a decade.

I'm not perfect, no one is, but I live a much healthier life. My quality of life itself, is better than it ever has been. I would be a liar if I said I didn't sit at the river on a hot day, missing a cold beer. Because those thoughts still cross my mind.

But all I have to do is start to think about the can of worms that would create for myself, and then I am content again about where I am, and where I am going. I don't miss drinking. The life, the experience, that I have now is exponentially better than anything I can find in a bottle.

Congrats to everyone who made it through today. Whether its your first day, or your 10,000th. Tomorrow is new day.
You have been helpful and someone I look up to while I have been on my own journey to better myself. Thank you for sharing what you have shared both here and elsewhere. It is appreciated! I wish you the best as we all struggle with the consequences of the pandemic. Thank you for staying strong for you.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts

I’m about to hit my one year (May 20 I think) and I feel the same way. COVID would have had me throw back beers earlier in the day a few times and my wife would have HATED it and probably left me.
I found out my truck had a blown head gasket and my Jeep leaks coolant. I replaced the head gasket myself and I’ve NEVER done ANYTHING like that. I didn’t even get really frustrated and thought it couldn’t do this drinking like I did’ because it took me probably three weeks to do it (had to do it twice because the leaks didn’t stop.

I thought the world was just dumping on me and 2020 just wasn’t going to be my year. I even told the wife ‘I’d really like about 3 Coors lights’ when I realized the problem. Just drink it away. I spent that time working on the lawn. Even that is improving now. Work is going well and I might not be AS negative as I was hungover or waiting for my next drink.

I DID put down a 5 pound bag of gummy worms working on the truck. In a week. Oh and sugar free rockstars but that’s nothing new. I don’t even think about drinking much anymore and I still don’t have a problem buying the wife beer or being around people drinking. I keep saying ‘i don’t have time for it’ in regards to drinking and it’s true. Seems like I find a lot to do. Oh and waking up at 3am or other random hours throughout the night because my son wakes up is already hard enough. I can’t imagine my wife yelling at me to get out of bed and help if I was drunk like Friday night.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,939 Posts
Who knew the day I'd sober up would be the death of Pirate.
1 year today. Spent it doing "dad shit" like pressure wash the walkway, clean the truck engine really good, mow the lawns, and get this place looking good on the outside for
Memorial Day Weekend.

Doesn't even seem eventful. At least ADD hit me up the other day. Felt like it was my birthday or something.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats to everyone that's maintaining, and good luck to those that are struggling right now. I've been lucky enough to stay employed through this which is a life saver for me. Staying busy and occupying your mind/time are huge, 'if ya got time to lean ya got time to clean' applies here. Another thing I find helpful is find things you do on a daily basis and make it into a ritual of sorts. Not like a tuck ur junk and dance around ritual but just be deliberate, repetitive, and aware of what you're doing. Almost to the point that you're kind of talking yourself through it the whole time. I find it a lot in household chores; vacuuming, doing dishes, cutting the grass, anything with a repetitive pattern that I can exploit. That's ten minutes here, twenty there, an hour there that I'm A) not drinking and B) not thinking about it either. Make that time add up.

One other idea that really stuck with me is the notion that whatever temporary happiness or relief you achieve from intoxication in the immediate present is robbing you of real happiness in the future. It took a while for this one to sink in, but it's very true. I've tried to disprove it A LOT and have failed miserably.

One last thing, if anybody is struggling to get help or just struggling in general there are AA chapters everywhere, and even if you don't want to get involved with the program they are a good way to find local resources. Cheers to all you queers that don't drink beers! 🍻

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Everyone,

24 years ago today... by the grace of God... I started this road to sobriety.

I'm thankful every day to be sober.

Strength to all of those fighting the same battle.

Jeff

1741 - 1758 of 1758 Posts