Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it looks like I joined the dark side(ford) yesterday. I picked up a 76 f150 4x4(500$) with a 390 and and four speed the engine was swapped in later along with the tranny it looks to have the typical axle setup ford nine inch and high pinion 44 in front, with an np205 transfer case. My question anytime I search it brings all kinds of ford crap and none of the info I want like numbers to check which version of the 390 I got. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction to get some good info. Thanks:smokin:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, im alittle rusty on FE motors, but here is something you can learn quickly about ANY ford part.
somewhere on the block/heads/intake/whatever there will be a number something like this:D2TE-AA
now...that right there can tell you alot...if you know this little bit: the first letter (C or D on FE parts) is the decade that piece was designed in, C being 1960s and D being 1970s, the following number tells you which year of the decade that part was designed in....so D2=1972. The next letter tells you which line that part was designed for, T is truck, O was one of the car lines, i believe it was torino after 69, S was fairlane, V was lincoln, Z was mustang, and A is also a car line but cant remember which. The last letter is usually going to be an E on engine parts...because the "E" means engine.
So if you look at that D2TE-AA now...you can tell that part was designed in 1972 for a truck engine. it just so happens that will probably be the number you find on the cylinder head somewhere around the lower set of bolt holes in a semi-circle, as that was the number for the later truck heads.
Now that that is done...here is the next thing you need to know, there were ALOT of engines in that family(332,352,360,361,390,391,406,410,427,428) and most of them look EXACTLY alike externally, so you need to find the number on your block(i think it is around the starter, but that may be on a 460, cant remember how those motors go) and then remove a spark plug, and measure the stroke with a dowel or a coat hanger or something(i use a welding rod). if you have never tried measuring stroke this way it is simple, have someone turn the motor BY HAND and mark the rod at the furthest point down the piston travels, and also at the farthest point up....now just measure the difference and that will give you a fairly good idea of what stroke your engine has. this is important for one reason...most of the trucks i have ever bought that had "390"s were actually 360!!!!!
I hope this has shed alittle light on the subject for you.
Later
Dan

·
Banned
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thank you. I will be checking for those numbers in a little bit. That's kinda what I wanted to make sure as well. But my buddy has a 360 in his ford and they don't look the same but I'm new to fords and could be not noticing something. Once again thanks :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There is also a marking on the crank that you can see if you remove the inspection cover. Round for 360 square for 390 IIRC but would probly be easier to measure the stroke since I'm not sure on which is which

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Cool, thank you. I will be checking for those numbers in a little bit. That's kinda what I wanted to make sure as well. But my buddy has a 360 in his ford and they don't look the same but I'm new to fords and could be not noticing something. Once again thanks :D
they should look exactly the same
can you post a pic? maybe it has a swapped in M motor

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I thought about that too when he said it looks different. Maybe you got lucky and someone did a 460 swap

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'll put my money on the motor being an M-series but don't freak out these are good motors for those willing to use them my 76 has the factory motor VIN matches Ford dealer says it is a 360 but it IS a M-series if you go to bigbronco.com he's got tons of info on fords also he's just not as polite and friendly as the pirate guys(insert sarcasm here) anyway welcome to the ford gang.

·
Registered
229 Posts
was it in late 76, or late 77 that they started putting the M series motors in the ford trucks. also something that you should remember is that ford NEVER put a 390 in a 4x4 pickup, it was always the 360.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
my79 is correct, when Ford pickups of these years are sold the motors all magically grow 30 c.i

·
Registered
48 Posts
On another note, as far as telling the engine families apart, just count the valve cover bolts:
5 bolts=FE(332,352,360,390,406,410,427,428)
6 bolts=Windsor(260,289,302,351W)
7 bolts=385 Series(429,460)
8 bolts=335 Series(Boss 302, Boss 351, 351C, 351M, 400)

Later
Dan

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
On another note, as far as telling the engine families apart, just count the valve cover bolts:
5 bolts=FE(332,352,360,390,406,410,427,428)
6 bolts=Windsor(260,289,302,351W)
7 bolts=385 Series(429,460)
8 bolts=335 Series(Boss 302, Boss 351, 351C, 351M, 400)

Later
Dan
my 460 only has 4 bolts....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
i dont even count the EFI 460 heads...they killed those motors as far as im concerned, i mean i guess they are ok buy my '70 429 with uncut stock heads will tear an EFI motor in two!!!
i seriously had no idea they changed the covers, those heads arent compatible with the carb'd intakes, so i never even bothered with them.
Later
Dan

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
i was fucking with you guys. :D and yeah, i wouldnt even count it as a "big block"... got all the cubes, same mileage... 1/2 the power. :D eh, o well... cant have everything right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts