Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we hauled a car off for scrap, and i saw a 14bolt laying in the mud. ended up getting it for the price of scrap, which came out to $4.90. so we loaded it up and got home to measure it, and its a c&c rearend! 63" with 4.10 gears in it, it looks good inside. so i guess i'm probably going to shave it down and slap it in the scout. my other option is to use a d60 from a 80 ford van and just use the c&c hubs on it. does the 60 have a little more ground clearance? just never know what your gonna trip up on!
 

·
Registurd Abuser
Joined
·
2,726 Posts
I believe the 60 will have more clearance but you have the 14 and you can grind the plow off of the bottom of it and run taller tires like me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cab & Chassis, narrow rearend, 63" between the flanges. we'll have to see what the ratio is in the d60 i'm getting. my friend has a locker for a 60 also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
well the 14B hubs won't go on the D60, so its eather the 14b and the width it is, or the D60 an the width it is.

If you can live with 5.13's as the lowest gear you can run. Run the 14B.


good find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What? could'nt you at least wait to tell me things won't swap until i have both of them all apart trying to figure it out?! i was sure someone had told me that the hubs were interchangeable.oh well, i guess it will be 14bolt in it then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
justscoutin said:
What? could'nt you at least wait to tell me things won't swap until i have both of them all apart trying to figure it out?! i was sure someone had told me that the hubs were interchangeable.oh well, i guess it will be 14bolt in it then.
sorry, I'll remeber that next time :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
RustoleumWhite said:
well the 14B hubs won't go on the D60, so its eather the 14b and the width it is, or the D60 an the width it is.

If you can live with 5.13's as the lowest gear you can run. Run the 14B.


good find.

bologna, sort of. one of the quickest ways to make a D60 a 35 spl. is to cut the spindles off, and weld on the spindles from a 14B, then just use all the 14B brake stuff, and go to town, get a 35spl spool or a detroit and roll with it.

someone correct me if im wrong, but i pretty much did the same thing on my rear, cept i hogged out the d60 spindles and welded um back on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
scoutkid said:
bologna, sort of. one of the quickest ways to make a D60 a 35 spl. is to cut the spindles off, and weld on the spindles from a 14B, then just use all the 14B brake stuff, and go to town, get a 35spl spool or a detroit and roll with it.

someone correct me if im wrong, but i pretty much did the same thing on my rear, cept i hogged out the d60 spindles and welded um back on.
NO, your not wrong, thats exactly what my rear 60's going to be. However, unless you have some serious "buddy" deals, to do it *right* its expencive to have the ends welded back on ($200-$500, depending on who), plus new shafts, and that defeats the whole "cheap" approch.

For bolt-and-go, you can't combine D60 and 14B parts... However, if you want 35-splines in your D60, you can hog the spindles without cutting them off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
AH HA! i see where you are coming from :D yes, friends with spindle alignment jigs and LOTS of cool welding stuff help a lot!


You trying to say you can't just 'eyeball' em back on there? :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like alot of work. i'll probably just trim the "plow" off the 14bolt for now!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top