Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
I hope everyone is staying safe.

I've a 2008 1500 4WD Silverado that has built 402 and twin turboed. I'm only running 5 psi of boost and I broke the rear 10bolt axles twice in a week! Running a Detroit Locker mechanical locker. And 4.10 ratios front and rear.

Truck is for mostly desert offroading which what we mainly do in Saudi Arabia. Plus highway trips. I run 35inch tires.

I'm looking to swap an axle from a 2011+ 2500HD as FF axles will make me way safer than popping those SF axles with drum brakes!

I didn't expect to run into an issue with parts availability! I didn't find any hubs to convert 8x180 to 6x5.5"!

I don't mind changing my wheels to 8 lugs if I can find a solution to do so for the fronts too!

Anyone has information to share or an experience?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all
I hope everyone is staying safe.

I've a 2008 1500 4WD Silverado that has built 402 and twin turboed. I'm only running 5 psi of boost and I broke the rear 10bolt axles twice in a week! Running a Detroit Locker mechanical locker. And 4.10 ratios front and rear.

Truck is for mostly desert offroading which what we mainly do in Saudi Arabia. Plus highway trips. I run 35inch tires.

I'm looking to swap an axle from a 2011+ 2500HD as FF axles will make me way safer than popping those SF axles with drum brakes!

I didn't expect to run into an issue with parts availability! I didn't find any hubs to convert 8x180 to 6x5.5"!

I don't mind changing my wheels to 8 lugs if I can find a solution to do so for the fronts too!

Anyone has information to share or an experience?
Quick Performance: Differential Parts & Components, try these guys out.

·
blatant asshole
12,361 Posts
All the bonkers ass nissan patrols and topfuel drag racing out there in sand land and you cant find some one to build a 40spl 9" with 6lug?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may have to turn them down and drill a new bolt pattern.
Was researching that. But I ran into the brakes issue.

And my one week worth of googling is somehow telling me that no matter what I do to a 10 bolt is gonna be a waste of money

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the bonkers ass nissan patrols and topfuel drag racing out there in sand land and you cant find some one to build a 40spl 9" with 6lug?
A stock Nissan drivetrain from front SAS diff to rear end are bullet proof. People run sand digger tires with 1000whp on them with no issues.

We have many locals able to build such a rear end. But I'm trying to find an almost bolt on solution to maintain electronics of ABS and stability crap

·
blatant asshole
12,361 Posts
Eew.

The vortec max trucks had 6 lug 9.5" 14b or find a express van 2500 with 6lug but idk that you will out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eew.

The vortec max trucks had 6 lug 9.5" 14b or find a express van 2500 with 6lug but idk that you will out there.
We never got the max trucks.. and all the vans here are 8 lugs. People prefer 8 lugs here on anything GM especially older models.

I am actually now doing a research to probably swap a rear axle from a Nissan Y61 GU patrol. They come with disk brakes and diff locks as standard and also 4.11 ratio on some models! Plus 6x5.5 wheel lugs pattern. Checks all the right boxes..

Except the ABS sensors seems to be an issue after adapting all the mechanicals

·
blatant asshole
12,361 Posts
If youre pre running a pickup with a hot motor wtf do you want useless computer bs fucking with your shit. Its not like you get a lot of snow/ice driving and brakes still work like brakes should

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If youre pre running a pickup with a hot motor wtf do you want useless computer bs fucking with your shit. Its not like you get a lot of snow/ice driving and brakes still work like brakes should
I see your point man.

It's a street truck mainly . And I've owned it for +10 years.. cannot recall when ABS engaged hahha .. but many times my family rides with me and wanted to try hard not to screw up safety features. We do get rain and some snow in remote locations when I do road trips.

·
blatant asshole
12,361 Posts
I havent touched many 08+ rear ends in gm.
Does it have a vss at the ends of the tube or in the diff itself?

Gm ran the "rear" abs off the tcase output up to 07. If it does have the vss on the axle you could put any rear axle you want so long as you corrected the ecm for gear ratio and it will act the same as the oe.

If it has vss on the axle youll have some mods to make to anything you put in

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you break things maybe replace them w/ things that don't break.Then improve the next thing that breaks, Repeat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I havent touched many 08+ rear ends in gm.
Does it have a vss at the ends of the tube or in the diff itself?

Gm ran the "rear" abs off the tcase output up to 07. If it does have the vss on the axle you could put any rear axle you want so long as you corrected the ecm for gear ratio and it will act the same as the oe.

If it has vss on the axle youll have some mods to make to anything you put in
Vss is at the transmission and TC output

ABS has two reluctor wheel at diff both ends and a sensor bolted on top of each. My friend as a tuner he was able to swap section files of a GMC Van file for when I swapped in the 4l80e. May be he can do the same if a file exits that reads front wheels speeds and the rear counts on VSS from the transmission or transfer case!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you break things maybe replace them w/ things that don't break.Then improve the next thing that breaks, Repeat.
Exactly what I'm trying to do. So I sped my efforts and money wisely.

Too bad Y61 Nissan Patrol isn't popular in the US as much as it is in Australia and our region.

There is a version that has a rear end that's so well designed!
Has a 3rd member. Comes with optional factory locker. 37 splines 1.51" axles that are almost full float as it mounts with hub bearings! Google H260 differential

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Unless you guys are doing something more cool with Nissan axles. They still need upgrading. Even the H260 which has the massive 260mm ring gear. The pinion on them isn’t much different to the h233.
big HP will break them. Australians with turbo TB48’s that have been worked can break them. Probably around 500hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unless you guys are doing something more cool with Nissan axles. They still need upgrading. Even the H260 which has the massive 260mm ring gear. The pinion on them isn’t much different to the h233.
big HP will break them. Australians with turbo TB48’s that have been worked can break them. Probably around 500hp at the wheels.
Ummm.. i think it also depends on the ratio

A 4.11 setup will have a ring with 37 tooth and pinion with 9

A 4.375 ratio will have a ring with 35 and a pinon with 8.. probably stronger??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts