Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
If i was you, id grab a junkyard 14 bolt. The sterling housings can spin the axle tubes under hard use, and the chevy axles are easier to find parts for. And guess what? 6x5.5 hubs are available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If i was you, id grab a junkyard 14 bolt. The sterling housings can spin the axle tubes under hard use, and the chevy axles are easier to find parts for. And guess what? 6x5.5 hubs are available.
Those won't fit the AAM 8 lug diffs.. believe it or not, 14 bolt axles are old and hard to find where I live. A 2005+ 8 lug on the other hand is extremely popular. And if there were parts for it like the Patrol diff I would have went with it. Why do you think the 14 bolt is stronger than this H260 diff I picked up?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those won't fit the AAM 8 lug diffs.. believe it or not, 14 bolt axles are old and hard to find where I live. A 2005+ 8 lug on the other hand is extremely popular. And if there were parts for it like the Patrol diff I would have went with it. Why do you think the 14 bolt is stronger than this H260 diff I picked up?
The hub design on the 11.5 AAM are the same as when they were first introduced 14 bolt in 1973, and the spindles are the same too. Also, you ask why it's stronger, well there are several reasons. The H260 you have is semi-floating, which is it's first weakness against a 14 bolt. The hubs are easily the best design you will find on any full size truck axle out there. They are made out of a very good casting, and they use massive bearings and thick races. Second, the ring gear is bigger, although not by much. Third, the 14 bolt uses a third pinion bearing, to resist gear deflection. Most axles have only 2, up inside the 3rd member. The only other axle i know of that uses this design is the ford 9-inch. Next, we have the axleshafts, which are 30-spline, 1.5 inches thick, and are extremely hard to break. And as for mods, the 14 bolt has parts for days, and I'd bet money that an axle from a Nissan patrol doesn't have near the support the 14 bolt's got. I have one on my truck. I took the thing apart, and everything is huge and strong. Oh, and it has an input torque rating of 6642 ft-lbs of torque. And if you live anywhere in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, or other hispanic country, you can't find a junkyard that doesn't have a 14 bolt in it. Or a donor vehicle. The only downside to a 14 bolt is weight. With everything put together, the thing weighs about 800 pounds.

·
blatant asshole
12,361 Posts
The hub design on the 11.5 AAM are the same as when they were first introduced 14 bolt in 1973, and the spindles are the same too. Also, you ask why it's stronger, well there are several reasons. The H260 you have is semi-floating, which is it's first weakness against a 14 bolt. The hubs are easily the best design you will find on any full size truck axle out there. They are made out of a very good casting, and they use massive bearings and thick races. Second, the ring gear is bigger, although not by much. Third, the 14 bolt uses a third pinion bearing, to resist gear deflection. Most axles have only 2, up inside the 3rd member. The only other axle i know of that uses this design is the ford 9-inch. Next, we have the axleshafts, which are 30-spline, 1.5 inches thick, and are extremely hard to break. And as for mods, the 14 bolt has parts for days, and I'd bet money that an axle from a Nissan patrol doesn't have near the support the 14 bolt's got. I have one on my truck. I took the thing apart, and everything is huge and strong. Oh, and it has an input torque rating of 6642 ft-lbs of torque. And if you live anywhere in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, or other hispanic country, you can't find a junkyard that doesn't have a 14 bolt in it. Or a donor vehicle. The only downside to a 14 bolt is weight. With everything put together, the thing weighs about 800 pounds.
youre not even on the right hemisphere of the globe for him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
well i didn't know, and he asked me what i thought. so i told him.
I appreciate the info a lot actually. Thanks for that.

I see your points. And those were mostly why I researched the AAM 11.5 diffs. But I didn't find the same support for the older 14 bolts! I've contacted 3 or 4 top parts providers in the US as I would need a locker and 6 bolt conversion. That's 2 weeks of research outcome.

The H260 Patrol diff has a lot of support here in our region (Middle East) as most parts come from Australia. And although people off-road US trucks and Jeeps, the serious offroading game here is for Japanese SUVs. Especially the Nissan Patrol Y61 with a ton of horsepower.

Plus of course the major step up from all the stupid design flaws of GM 10 bolt I had. Axles snapped on me on the road, which makes the wheels depart the truck hahaha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh now i see why you can't find 14 bolts. Can't be very many of those over there. The 10 bolt was a good axle, if you had a stock vehicle and treated it right. It can't deal with very much power, or tires over 33" very well. You're quite welcome for the info. Best of luck on your desert beast.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I will tell you this, I have 408 stroker with 12 psi and with my 14 bolt full floater I can toss as much power as I like to it with 37s and it never skips beat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I will tell you this, I have 408 stroker with 12 psi and with my 14 bolt full floater I can toss as much power as I like to it with 37s and it never skips beat.
I am not doubting the strength of a 14bolt.

I've only explained what made me go with an H260. Availability was a key point.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts